X

1993 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 600

So iv been apart of this group for a month or so and don't post that much but I always on here looking at what's new and for mods and gen questions and I wanted to thank all of you this site is so helpful and no one thinks your stupid for asking even a simple question this is extremely helpful thanks agin

Welcome to the neighborhood, it's a great place

You eying any mods in particular for your bike?
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Welcome to kr

Comment

Welcome
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Iv started the mesh mode and in the process of paint right now I just fixed all my farrings they were junk when I got my bike and the color the guy had on it was ugly so as soon as I get done with paint I sure I'll start working on others . Do you have any suggestions

Comment

Suspension. Bike is 20 years old. At least new fork seals and oil. That alone will make it handle better. If you have the $, new racetech springs. The stock ones are intended for a 130ish lb rider. Getting ones matched for your weight will make the bike handle way better. They're ~$120, and if you mention KR when ordering you get 20% off thanks to a member on here (Tmod) that works there. Emulators make it handle best, those are ~$170. All depends in your budget.
            Besides suspension, I really like the SS brake lines I installed. Better braking, and the SS lines never need replacing. The OEM rubber ones should be replaced every 4 years. Win-win. At the very least, your brake fluid is probably old brown and nasty. I'd recommend flushing it.

So the brake flush and fork oil/seals are more maintenance than mods, but they'll keep your bike happy. But from there, easy to start modding if you so choose.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Springs

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
              The stock ones are intended for a 130ish lb rider. Getting ones matched for your weight will make the bike handle way better. They're ~$120, and if you mention KR when ordering you get 20% off thanks to a member on here (Tmod) that works there. Emulators make it handle best, those are ~$170.
              Soooo... how would I know what set of spring to buy based on my weight (200lbs?)
              sigpic
              '91 Katana 600 custom right-side shift, Yoshimura Exhaust, Vinyl Carbon Fiber wrapped.

'09 Aprilia Mana 850 Carbon Fiber body work, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID conversion

Comment

Go to the racetech website and they have a spring calculator. I just put the front springs in and have a 750 shock being rebuilt and a spring going on it also. Too bad I did not realize the mention KR thing so full price for the rear spring. I found an unopened set of front springs for $50 + shipping though.
                If you plan on long rides I would mod to standard style handlebars. I love mine even more since doing that.

Comment

Welcome to KR!...

Comment

Are they hard to install? All my fluids should be good the guy I bought it from had like 27 bikes and seemed to know what he was doing I just got mine before he started making it look pretty

Comment

New paints looking good should be done by the end of the week depending on how long the clear coat takes to dry

Comment

This is how it looked when I got it
                        Attached Files

Comment

How did you get it off the ceiling like that?

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Shield2009 View Post
                            Are they hard to install? All my fluids should be good the guy I bought it from had like 27 bikes and seemed to know what he was doing I just got mine before he started making it look pretty
                            He might have 27 bikes, but that doesn't mean he cares for all of them -- much less the Katana (budget bike) that he probably rode least of all and judging from the pic didn't care to put into a full condition.

I thought my PO was a cool guy too, until I found everything was ****** in some way.
                            - Purplehaze
                            All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Originally posted by Shield2009 View Post
                              Front springs are super easy to do as long as your existing seals are good. It seems like replacing the seals is not too hard a job either. The manual explains it well. I did not replace the seals but changed out the oil and then put the racetech springs in last Friday. I like to work on one thing at a time so when I changed the oil in the forks I removed one fork leg, completed it, installed it and then went to the next one. Its a good idea to change the fluid anyway. You don't know when or if it was ever done and you may find things you want taken care of while checking it out. When I did mine I found that one of the fork brace screws was gone and the others were loose. Like Purplehaze said, sometimes you think the PO did a good job and then you find where details were missed that could turn into something bad if you don't take care of it.

It sounds like the rear shock is easy to remove and reinstall but special tools are needed if you don't want to hurt yourself. Take the rear shock off, send or take to a pro and then reinstall it after its made good.

I thought this bike would be a one year bike until I could get something newer. As I am starting to do some work on her, I find that I am getting attached and enjoy the time working on her ( it does make it better when you are working on something because you want to and not because it quit working on you though).
                              Last edited by rschlegel; 04-22-2014, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X