X

New Tires Bias Vrs Radial

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tires Bias Vrs Radial

Replacing Front & Rear Stock size 110/80-17 front, 140/80-17 rear on a 1992 Katana 600 (stock) All tire talk is about radials, are this OK for replacment?Novice newbee rider want the most forgiving safest tire for a beginner.read all the threads. stay with stock size? go with 120/70 0r 60 -17 front and for rear 150/70-17 or 150/60-17 all the tires are only a few dollars apart in most cases Still Im on a budget. Im thinkin about Conti sport attack 120/70-17 Front 150/70-17Rear at $203.98 plus shipping that seems like me. any advantage of the 60s over the 70s for me? Thanks for any input.

Why never to run bias ply tires on your kat unless you have no choice: http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17470

Why never to mix tire types/brands/makes, sidewall heights, etc: http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5551

What you should have gone with, IMHO: Metzeler Z6's or Pirelli Diablo Stradas in a 120/70ZR17 front, 150/70ZR17 rear. If you go with the Dunlops, make sure that they are not date-coded 1006 or later with a plant code of DA (see http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36977 for details), that they match your weight requirements (weight codes), and you use those same sizes I listed (120/70, 150/70).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Tires

Thank you for you input I will save a bit longer and buy a set of the Metzeler Z-6 in size 120/70-17 and 150/70-17 then i will have a lot of faith in the tires. I will have one less thing to worry about!

Comment

I have heard good stuff about the Conti Road Attacks. The Sport Attacks use a softer compound that will compromise mileage, but grip will be increased. I wouldn't even look at bias tires for anything on the pavement.
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Why is it that Suzuki tells me to use bias ply if they are so bad? When I was looking for a new front tire recently, the only tires that came in the size my bike uses were bias ply. When I went to both bikebandit and dennis kirk it showed only bias ply tires as fitting my bike, 110/70 17 I think is the size.

Comment

Originally posted by beherenow71
            Why is it that Suzuki tells me to use bias ply if they are so bad? When I was looking for a new front tire recently, the only tires that came in the size my bike uses were bias ply. When I went to both bikebandit and dennis kirk it showed only bias ply tires as fitting my bike, 110/70 17 I think is the size.
            That was the stock tire in 1997, so it's listed as the OEM default. Now, 10 years later... tire technology has come a long way.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves
              That was the stock tire in 1997, so it's listed as the OEM default. Now, 10 years later... tire technology has come a long way.
              +1

Actually, it was the stock tire back in the late 80's and the very beginning of the 90's and vendors locked onto that -- Suzuki themselves changed the default tire to a radial by 93 or so...

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

pre-98 Katana tires

Well guys the research is over. I have selected my new tire for my 1992 katana. Im staying with the exact stock size front 110/80-17 rear 140/80-17. I have found these sizes in a Avon -AV-46 & AV-46 Azaro Sport touring. $78.00 front $104.00 rear plus shipping. Will let you know how I like them.

Comment

Working...
                X