X

GSXR 400 -90 -> rear wheel?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tone View Post
    Isn't the torque arm mounted to the caliper on these rather than the caliper mount ?

All torque arms are mounted to the calipers on Suzuki bikes that I'm aware of. This is why you can't just "flip" things around.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      All torque arms are mounted to the calipers on Suzuki bikes that I'm aware of. This is why you can't just "flip" things around.
      Krey
      Which is exactly my point

If all are mounted to the caliper, any mount that fits the caliper & can be made to fit the spindle with the correct offset can be used, it opens up the options Eg you can flip the mount but not the caliper
      Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
        Which is exactly my point

If all are mounted to the caliper, any mount that fits the caliper & can be made to fit the spindle with the correct offset can be used, it opens up the options Eg you can flip the mount but not the caliper

I get what your saying, but here is a problem I ran into that isn't mentioned...

Different calipers will have different clearances for the hubs.

Generally speaking, a caliper made to work for 220OD rotors or other small sizes have more clearance for the wheel hub.

240-250od designs like the Kat caliper tend to be bigger. Putting a Kat caliper on a caliper bracket designed for the 220OD rotor means the caliper may actually rub the wheel due to the clearance issue.

So... If you use a 220 rotor, use the smaller caliper for clearance. If he can mount the 240-250OD rotor on the wheel, then the Kat caliper will work fine with an equivalent caliper bracket that will also fit the axle size.

I don't have a great pic, but the 5.5" wheel I am currently using on my bike was purchased cheap because of this type of mod by the PO. They took a wheel designed for the 240OD rotor, put a 220 rotor with just a shorter caliper bracket, but used the same caliper for the 240 size... result was rather large scrapes on the wheel hub at each spoke point. You can just see them here in this pic...

The wheel came with the rotor they used on it and the gauges in the wheel already. I didn't have a rotor that matched the bolt pattern, so I picked up a caliper bracket for that size rotor. As soon as I tried to align it all up, I saw why the gauges were in the wheel. So I scrapped the 220 rotor and caliper bracket setup and moved back to the 240OD size. No problems then.

Later on I've checked the shape/size of the calipers used on the GSXR bikes for example with the 220 rotors... huge difference in their shape/size. Mounting holes for the caliper to the bracket though are almost the same for all of the calipers that use a brake arm.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Correct

The other issue is offset the distance has to be correct to get the caliper centred on the disc one or two of the brackets have a thicker part that the spindle goes through which can be machined down a little if needed

Some of the early gsxr slingshot brackets are fitted with a bush which is handy if you can make a new one to fit whatever spindle you are using

The other point to remember with brackets made to suit the different size discs is that the offset in the bracket itself is different

None of it is insurmountable but imho the easiest thing is to use the bracket that goes with the wheel you use & mod the rest to suit
          Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Working...
          X