GSXR 400 -90 -> rear wheel?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSXR 400 -90 -> rear wheel?

Hi!

Tried search here in katriders, couldn't find anything about it, so to point.
    Does anybody happen to know anything about 1989-> GSXR 400 rear wheel fitment to pre katana? There are several on ebay.co.uk and they are 17x4,5" curve spoked with 5 slots on sprocket side and brake disc is hold by 4 bolts (just like pre katana). I don't know about the width of the hub, is it same or wider than pre wheel, does anybody know?.
    I know it seems similar to RF600 rear wheel, but it's brake disc is hold by 5 bolts and it's hub is wider than pre kat wheel hub.

Found this info from gsxr400.com:
    GSX-R400R / SP ('87>'88)* 140/60 R 18 64H TL (GK73A 18") Rim: 3.5"
    GSX-R400R / SP ('89)* 150/60 R 17 66H TL (GK73A 17") Rim: 4.5"
    Older than -89 are 6 thin spoked, 89-> are 3 curve spoked.

Here is a link to one ebay item for GSXR 400:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSX...item51a2b74da5

Reason why I am interested is to put wider wheel to prekat with minimum fabrication. Shinko for example makes 170 tyres to fit on 4,5" wheel. Wonder though if there would be enough clearance on pre kat swimgarm.
    Last edited by IhmeJanneFIN; 02-03-2014, 07:47 AM. Reason: Changed link to a one with better pictures.
    Suzuki GSX 750 F -94
    - Custom turbo build
    - On going forever project...
    +Suzuki SV1000S -03 for road
    +Suzuki GSX-R 600 k6 for track

its almost the same as a bandit 600 wheel in size etc so the same as rf & others with the exeption on disc mounting so anything that applies to fitting those wheels will apply to fitting that

You will probably need the brake caliper mount to suit the wheel for proper brake alignment & you may want to check bearing sizes

This wheel was only produced for a short time during the crossover from curved to straight spokes so pretty hard to find in good condition i would be more tempted to use B6 or Rf myself as they are readily available
    Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

my research shows the GSXr-400 90 model would be 10mm shorter on the distance from bearing to bearing. That would lead me to believe the center hub of the wheel is smaller over all.

gsxr 400 center wheel spacer -09180-20106 -20.8x27.2x77.75
      bearings -2 vers.
      09262-20042 B1 20X47X14
      08123-62047 b1 20X47X14
      105.75mm
      katana pre center wheel spacer-09180-17067 -17.5X25X88
      bearings B1 17X47X14
      116mm wide

Just intial findings...

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Good info Krey

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          my research shows the GSXr-400 90 model would be 10mm shorter on the distance from bearing to bearing. That would lead me to believe the center hub of the wheel is smaller over all.

gsxr 400 center wheel spacer -09180-20106 -20.8x27.2x77.75
          bearings -2 vers.
          09262-20042 B1 20X47X14
          08123-62047 b1 20X47X14
          105.75mm
          katana pre center wheel spacer-09180-17067 -17.5X25X88
          bearings B1 17X47X14
          116mm wide

Just intial findings...

Krey
          So basically there is no need to widen swingarm to get the rim to fit, actually put more spacers to center the wheel on katana's swingarm? It seems very similar to pre's wheel so there might be a chance use it's brake disc and brake caliber.
          Suzuki GSX 750 F -94
          - Custom turbo build

Comment

considering your bolting the brake disc to the rim (provided it fits) it will move the disc inward (regardless of spacers) still requiring a mod of the brake arm.
            94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
              considering your bolting the brake disc to the rim (provided it fits) it will move the disc inward (regardless of spacers) still requiring a mod of the brake arm.
              That is true. This is just one option more how to widen the rear. Even though, it's not like I am doing this mod anytime soon, and I might just go the Kreylyn's way how to get wider wheel. Just throwing ideas.
              Suzuki GSX 750 F -94
              - Custom turbo build

Comment

There is the saying... "many ways to skin a kat..."... or something like that?

Anyways, here are a few things I would keep in mind.

1. While over all models may generally look the same, there is frequently minor differences in the parts that make the whole unit. This is particularly important when "swapping" parts around. My research was just an initial "is it even remotely possible". Actually inspecting and getting measurements from the parts will still be needed and don't be surprised to find things are not what they initially appeared. I run across incorrect parts all the time from used bikes because as just one example... The original rear wheel was damaged in a minor accident, so they "modded" a similar wheel in to the used bike, and the person selling the parts now does not know it's actually originally from an RF600. Also, keep in mind that OEM parts are not always as well documented as one would like.

2. The main significance to the modifications I do on swingarms is for the tire clearance. The swingarm is V shaped near the pivot point and out. On the katana, especially the pre 600s... the tires widest point is at a very narrow portion of that V shape. Some people get around this by deforming the tire (putting a way oversized tire on a small rim is the most common...) Some get away with it by moving the tire away from the V... using extenders for example. Some just ignore it all together and pick a tire that will just barely not touch when the bike is at stand still, but has no clearance for when the tire is in use.

3. Hub width differences is one of the most minor adjustments to make quite honestly. It's extremely easy to "adjust" the width of the swingarm legs at the axle. It's simply a matter of correctly bending them. Bending is how they were formed to start with, and due to the length of the arms... it's a relatively minor adjustment over all.

Ultimately, it all depends on what you want vs how much your willing to spend and work on it. There are many ways to approach it and even different looks you could achieve when doing so. For example, at this point if I was doing a 4.5" wheel, I would switch to using no brake arm at all for the caliper solving several issues at one time. That would require a small part fabrication and welded to the swingarm, and some extra but readily available parts purchased over some of the other options. I generally look at resale value of parts I'm replacing when factoring that in though... most times I have been successful in selling the old for the same if not more than the new negating those extra parts costs on my personal mods.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Just got answer from one seller to my question of the width of centerhub. I measured prekat's hub and it was 130mm at widest, and the gsxr 400 max width is 120mm, so it is 10mm narrower. Basically you could make it work on prekat without need to widen swingarm.
                  Suzuki GSX 750 F -94
                  - Custom turbo build

Comment

You might not need to change the caliper arm unless you go to a different diameter rotor. It's possible the GSXR hub may stick out farther from the bearing than the Kat rim, hitting the caliper arm but you won't know until you get the two pieces together. You would need a pair of 5mm spacers though unless you plan to bend the SA in. Just put the right-side spacer on the outboard side of the caliper arm.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post

You will probably need the brake caliper mount to suit the wheel for proper brake alignment & you may want to check bearing sizes

Comment

Originally posted by IhmeJanneFIN View Post
                        Just got answer from one seller to my question of the width of centerhub. I measured prekat's hub and it was 130mm at widest, and the gsxr 400 max width is 120mm, so it is 10mm narrower. Basically you could make it work on prekat without need to widen swingarm.
                        Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                        You might not need to change the caliper arm unless you go to a different diameter rotor. It's possible the GSXR hub may stick out farther from the bearing than the Kat rim, hitting the caliper arm but you won't know until you get the two pieces together. You would need a pair of 5mm spacers though unless you plan to bend the SA in. Just put the right-side spacer on the outboard side of the caliper arm.

FYI... quick research shows the rotor sizes are not the same OD, and the bolt hole sizes are different as well. The bolt holes do match up in location, just... larger holes on the gsxr rotor, and significantly smaller OD over all.

GSXR... http://metalgear.com.au/mgear-brake-...ar-p-5125.html

Kat... http://metalgear.com.au/mgear-brake-...ar-p-5068.html

Add to that the gsxr caliper setup is under the swingarm, so the mounting of the brake arm won't match up to the pre kat.

But... checking the earlier 88 model GSXR 400s... they use the same rotor, but have the caliper on the top side.

So my thinking atm is that it's probably easiest to widen the axle slots on the katana swingarm, and then use the 90 GSXR400 wheel/rotor/hub/sprocket. Axle, spacers, chain adjusters, caliper and bracket from the 88 gsxr400. Other than the simple widening of the axle slots, that would really be bolt up and go setup. Widening the slots is a really simple process with a file.

The only other question in my head atm. is if the 88 caliper uses the same connection on the brake line.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                          The only other question in my head atm. is if the 88 caliper uses the same connection on the brake line.
                          Krey
                          Do you mean the banjo bolt thread ?
                          Nissin only used 2 different threads on their calipers of this era so its no biggie to sort out if he has a different bolt, just buy the other

If you mean the banjo itself theres no worries either bolt will fit, my worry would be the length of the line (is it long enough) again not a biggie to replace if you need to

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                            Do you mean the banjo bolt thread ?
                            Nissin only used 2 different threads on their calipers of this era so its no biggie to sort out if he has a different bolt, just buy the other

If you mean the banjo itself theres no worries either bolt will fit, my worry would be the length of the line (is it long enough) again not a biggie to replace if you need to

All that actually... None of which (as your pointing out) is a big deal, and all easily overcome. I just don't know specifically if/what steps to take exactly with out having the parts/comparing to see. (research needed).

FYI, new guy just started posting and I noticed he has a GSXR 400 listed as one of his rides. He might be able to provide some further info for the OP. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133398

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

Isn't the torque arm mounted to the caliper on these rather than the caliper mount ?

Comment

Working...
                              X