Oil on gsx750f 1996

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil on gsx750f 1996

Hi,

How important is the API classification on motorcycles oil?

In the manual for my bike, recommended API is SE,SF and SG.

Since the manual and the bike is old, newer API's are not mentioned. Can I use an oil like this (motorcycle oil 15w-40 API SL - JASO MA, MA2). ?

SE, SF and SG are not possible to find around where I live.

Edit: this is a "dino" oil, none synthetic.

JASO is a good standard to look for - they will be formulated correctly for the wet clutch in a Katana (most other bikes too, honestly).
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
    H. L. Mencken

Comment

SL rated oil that also carries a JASO-MA rating should be just fine. You can also use any oil rated SE, SF or SG even though it isn't rated JASO-MA, just plan on doing your next oil change a bit earlier than you would with motorcycle-specific oil. Look for something about it being safe for wet clutches. If it says that it's for dry clutches then look somewhere else.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Generally speaking, the higher the API rating, the better the oil (less friction, shear resistance, maintaining viscosity, engine cleanliness, longer drain intervals ...). However, a better oil is not necessarily good for your bike.

The main requirements for a motorcycle oil over a car oil are:
        - compatibility with a wet clutch
        - resilience against shearing due to its role in lubing the transmission (a series of "oil-crushing" cogs)
        - and in the case of the air-oil cooled Kat, coping with more extreme temperatures

You can use any oil better than API SE - ie anything up to SN, AS LONG AS IT IS JASO MA RATED also. The majority of oils up to SJ (including those that also have a CF or better diesel rating) will be JASO MA compliant by default, but not all. SL and above will usually contain friction modifiers (so will not meet JASO MA) to meet the required spec. Best bet is to look for that JASO MA rating in a 10W40 or 10W50 weight and you are good to go.
        Last edited by TRPUT; 04-16-2013, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

My bike has done 80 000 km(50 000 miles). Should I use synthetic oil or go for mineral/dino(none-synthetic oil)?

Comment

Working...
          X