No announcement yet.
X

post rim swap just need clarification!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post rim swap just need clarification!

I want to swap a 98+ post rim on my 90 kat. I was told to get the post rim and the hub carrier? and the crush sleeve/spacer for the carrier?!

Do i need the 98+ axles/and the other spacers? im waiting to place an order bc I can just get the post hub carrier and crush sleeve seperately or get the hub carrier and 98+ complete axle with crush sleeve and all the other bushings/spacers but it costs like $24 more. I would like to know wether or not I can just get the crush sleeve and spacer vs spending more money on the axle and stuff if I dont need it.

Basically to do the swap I need the rim, brake rotor, and hub carrier and hub carrier spacer/crush sleeve?

Anything else...

also the rear hub carrier im looking at is off a 2006 gsxf600.

do I need the hub spacer? Or will my pre spacer work fine?

heres the axle im looking at If i need all the other stuff including the spacer and bushings.
    Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 01-30-2013, 02:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

You need wheel, rotor, carrier.

I suggest you use the axle spacer located between swingarm/carrier because on the post it is 5mm wider.

The spacer between carrier and wheel are the same. The axles are close enough to be interchangable. The spacer on the rotor side is the same from either bike.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok I just bought the rim, rotor and hub carrier for a post Kat. I really don't want to pay 28$ for a complete rear post axle for that one little bushing.

Krey you got any bushings laying around I can buy or use? Or a source just for the bushing your describing? I want to get it as soon as possible so I have all the stuff

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
        Ok I just bought the rim, rotor and hub carrier for a post Kat. I really don't want to pay 28$ for a complete rear post axle for that one little bushing.

Krey you got any bushings laying around I can buy or use? Or a source just for the bushing your describing? I want to get it as soon as possible so I have all the stuff
        Don't have a spare used one. I can get you a new one shipped to you for $16.75 total.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

You got a pic of it? Or something.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
            You got a pic of it? Or something.

Nope... It would be ordered through my dealer account and drop shipped to you.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

If you've got a welder (or access to one) you can build your own. When I did my wheel swap I had to do that. I put a couple washers on the axle where the spacer needed to be, pushed them apart using toothpicks and spot welded them together to set the spacing. Took them off, filled in with the welder at the bench and used an angle grinder to pretty everything up. One note if you go that way: tighten up the axle nut by hand to flex the swingarm in just a hair. If you don't then the spacer will be just a hair too thick and it'll be a pain to get the wheel installed. DAMHIKT
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I'm doing the same swap. I make use of the pre carrier. don't see much of a difference between the two. The fitting between the carrier and the rim seems ok. also i dont notice any issues with the spacing so far.
                1990 600 kat on going projectNow with zxr 750 frontend

Comment

Well I pulled the pre rear wheel last night and took a quick look at the differences between the hub carriers and they are mostly the same. I have however seen a couple of differences between the 2 but will take some measurements to be sure. I did see the spacer between the swingarm and carrier that Krey was referring too. If i can I'm going to put a washer in there to give me some more clearance if necessary.

Comment

Keep me posted! I wonder what the differences are.

Comment

There are def some slight differences between the 2 carriers. There are a few subtle differences at the front seal and the mounting differences of the sprocket in relationship to the seal and back of the hub. The post carrier has the sprocket mounted closer to the seal/swingarm compared to the pre. The differences are pretty noticeable and I will post pics of this tmrw.

Comment

Here are a few pics. One of the carrier differences and then a few of the new Post rim that I painted (was all silver now has black center like the pre front rim to match).
                        Attached Files

Comment

Quick question! My EBC rotors are labeled R and L but I always get confused bc of the rotor drilling. Which side of the bike is the right and left side? Is it looking at the bike from the front or when sitting on the bike?

Easier thing to ask is if the kickstand is on the left side?

Comment

sitting.
                            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran
                            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

if you make use of the post carrier, doesn't that give issues with the brake rotors and the caliper?

Comment

Working...
                              X