Meanstrk - December 2005 Katana of the Month

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Exhaust & Mod Shop

Exhaust & Mod Shop Looking for the best exhaust for your Kat or need help with the installation ?
From the Mesh Mod to the Fender Eliminator, installing new signals, Braada Cowls,
Frame sliders or Undertails; Show us all of your custom mods and share your tips here.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
skjeflo
Track Rider

Default Changes needed for full V&H system?

Pre 600 here.

A while back I picked up a good used full 4-1 Vance & Hines SS2-R system that came off a Pre 600. Before installing this I'm wondering what changes are needed to run acceptably vs required to run its best.

From my reading, need might be:

Pilot jet screws out to 3-3.5 turns and shim the needle up with a #4 brass washer.

Required to run its best:

Fuel mix screws out to 3-3.5 turns and Factory Pro jet kit set up right.

Yes, I know I should just do it right, but will have some time this weekend to possibly get the exhaust system on and would not have the FP kits here by then. Is it worth doing it with the shims and riding it or should I just order the FP kits and wait for my next opportunity?

Also, I ask the next question because I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I have new head/header gaskets but am wondering if the header to mid-pipe and mid-pipe to can connections each need a gasket of its own? I've read that those connections might not use gaskets but high temp o-rings or nothing at all???

Any and all help and opinions are appreciated!
skjeflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
arsenic
Katastical

eBay ID: arsenic1016

Where the fuck does it says mixture screws at 3-3.5 turns out with a jet kit? I need to kick whoever said that directly in the testicles. Unless it was Tone, in which case I totally understand. I have no idea what number washer you need, I just know know you have to shim the OEM needles with a half step washer. Mid pipe to can, no gasket there, header to mid pipe, yes gasket is used there.
arsenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
skjeflo
Track Rider

Thanks!

Looks like I got my info crossed over between looking at all the different posts on different jet kits.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
arsenic
Katastical

Before you go enriching the mixture with the A/F screws, I'd try one size up on the main jets. Stock are 112.5, so try 115.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
skjeflo
Track Rider

Keep the pilot screws at 2.5, half step washer on the needles, check!

Jets: 115 across the board? Or is this one of those motors that have one cylinder different?
Old 06-11-2014, 12:32 AM   #6
arsenic
Katastical

No, they are all the same, so 115 across the board.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:01 PM   #7
Jaredmax97
Skid Mark

Did you ever figure the perfect setup? I have the same set up and I'm chasing a hiccup all over the rpm trying to get it right.
Jaredmax97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:01 AM   #8
skjeflo
Track Rider

Riding every day and real life have gotten in the way of this project. All the parts are still hanging in the shed.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:45 AM   #9
skjeflo
Track Rider

Finally back to this project' It's amazing what moving twice in a years time can do for all the projects one wanted to get done.

That said, does anyone have a reference as to what size springs I need to assemble this system? Those are either still in storage, in a box somewhere or have gone MIA. I believe that there are two longer ones for the header to mid and two shorter ones for the mid to can.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:21 AM   #10
Kreylyn
Kat King

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjeflo View Post
Finally back to this project' It's amazing what moving twice in a years time can do for all the projects one wanted to get done.

That said, does anyone have a reference as to what size springs I need to assemble this system? Those are either still in storage, in a box somewhere or have gone MIA. I believe that there are two longer ones for the header to mid and two shorter ones for the mid to can.
I'll see if I can track down the springs I have in the shop... I haven't moved recently, but it will still be a little bit of a search probably... lol.

That said...

You can still order complete spring kits for the V&H systems.

http://www.motosport.com/vance-hines...ust-spring-kit

That was the first google result... some competitive price shopping may get better price / free shipping options.

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Exhaust & Mod Shop