No announcement yet.
X

How's everyones winter projects coming?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what cosmetic parts are you willing to part with/getting rid of?
    Well I guess I'll just make a list of everything...

Front end: fork tubes, triples, axle $99
    Front wheel with rotors and new tire good shape $165
    Swing arm with shock, linkage, brake arm, adjusters and axles $29
    Good used 150 tire with cush/rubbers, rear rotor $35
    Front brake system with calipers, pads, brake lines, master cyl./lever $45
    Rear brake system with caliper, pads, master and line $15
    Rear set assemblies with mounting brackets, pegs, shifter lever, brake lever and passenger pegs $35
    Belly pan/left right lower minus chin (has 1' crack and some rash) $15
    Front fender (has some scratches) $25
    Rear tail aluminum things l/r mint $15

I think thats it....

Comment

Originally posted by guy2600
      I need a red rake
      sorry dude the red rake stays

I found a B-12 motor. Now I'm having it sent to Holeshot.....
      SWEET!! what are you having done to it? So what type of frame damage did you have to your bike? Keep an eye out on ebay, I've seen several frames go for cheap $$ over the last 4 months. What are you doing to the suspension? Dude post some pics of this thing...

are you independently wealthy, or just single?
      Well I've been on unlimited overtime for the last 3 months so this is what I've done with the cash. I've hooked up with really good deals off ebay so it's not quite as expensive as it might appear but still $$$. Now I need to focus on building it...
      The motor is getting the full treatment. 1216 big bore, cams, jets, exhaust, timing, hard facing the rockers, port/polish, etc. My frame damage is a kink in the subframe right where the passenger peg mounts. Unfortunately, the left peg was out when I bailed, and it ended up kinking the frame. Now, since that rail runs all the way down to the main frame, the chain rubs on that small subframe tube - so I'm going to cut the subframe at the top near the tail, grind out the weld at the very bottom where that subframe tube joins, and re-weld the tubing on the outer side of the bike. That should pull the subframe tube back into it's original poition as the weld quenches....Then I'm gonna hack out the length of tubing that's kinked, and replace it with 1" x 3/4" flatbar (nobody makes a 1x3/4" square tubing - it's a special order suzuki tubing), and weld it in place. Depending on how it turns out, I might just buy a new frame. My local salvage yard has a couple '98+ frames...I just bought all new plastics from them, right off the bikes. I think one is a 750, and I might snag that frame for the longer swingarm - or if possible, grab a 600, and the 750 swingarm! (cheep insurance)

For suspension, I made a post....Cyberpoet was good enough to hook me up with the full meal deal - Ohlins all around. I'm also going for the Racetech cartridge emulators just to make things that much sweeter. Then I'm doing Galfer rotors, lines, pads, an undertail, windscreen, full repaint, vinyls, and some other stuff. GSXF emblems should be here pretty soon too, I've got carbon-look levers, all smoke clear alternatives lenses, integrated taillight, and the braada cowl to put on, and then I think I mght get those shweeeet HPI carbon heelguards that spedee has.....or is it beek? -Can't remember. But they look awesome!

As for the last part, I'm young, stupid and single....nuff said?
      FrankenKat 1216
      GS Fiter 816
      GSXR750! (race)

Comment

What size are the gsxr600 forks? If I recall, aren't the 03 gsxr600 right way up forks similar in design to the katana? If so, have you check the spacing and the fork leg diameter to make sure you can't slot the gsxr forks into your stock katana triples? Would make mounting a whole lot easier.

Also, even if their not the same diameter you might not want to sell you katana triples. You can always have a machine shop (or yourself) press out the steering stem and press/weld in into the gsxr triple instead of the gsxr original stem. This will allow you to use stock kat bearings and races and it'll slot right in...

Comment

My "winter project" has slowed down due to lack of funds to buy the few last parts. Should fix that within the month but as it stands, heres what I have so far...

1989 GSXR750 oil cooled frame
          2001 Bandit 1200 motor/carbs/elec/exh (very low miles)
          2002 GSXR 1000 forks (completely rebuilt 0 miles)
          1992 GSXR750 triples
          2002 GSXR1000 clipons and switchgear
          1993 VFR750 Single Sided Swingarm
          2004 GSXR750 rear shock with less than 15 miles
          VFR800 rear rim (5 spoke)
          Ducati 748 Marchesini front rim (5 spoke)
          Stock 89 GSXR750 tank and a 93 GSXR750 tank
          Ducati 748 seat pan

Mainly I'm in need of brembo rotors for the front wheel, brembo front and rear calipers (masters as well), led strip taillights and signals, tires, battery, and misc bearings.

As soon as I can lay my hands on the led llights, I''m going to be hacking the rear subframe and casting a new sculpted short subframe in aluminum. At the same time I'll be slotting the vfr arm into the frame, With the triples I'm using, the 748 front wheel will go in with a simple wheel bearing swap and two spacers. If I can even freaking lay my hands on some rotors and calipers, I'll lke need to machine a couple billt caliper mounts. Hopefully I can get all the fabrication and mockup done around march and stip it back down for finishing.

In the end, I'm looking for the motor to be tuned in the 120-130hp range and trying to get the weight of the bike down to around 365-385lbs (down from the original 435-440lbs)

Comment

Well. Im not in for that much work.

I hit a 15lb racoon last October so that prompted my work. Didnt lay it down thow.

Now my motor is out and everything is tore apart.

Frame

My forks got shipped to NJ to have 1.5" of travel cut out of them. My frame, sub frame, front fairing stay, top tripple, axel mount tag bracket, and wheels went to Nashville TN to get powder coated a glossy red color. (Not enough time to powdercoat myself and still get together before the new season.)

Plastic
            Im filling in the grooves for the finder in my undertail so when painted the finder never existed. Welded up all wholes from the coon. Going to sand out welds and re paint the bike.

Motor
            I begin pulling the valve cover and checking clearances. Debating on pulling motorized butterflies out of my fuel injection to leave only the ones controlled by my throttle hand. Im taking the PAR valve out totally and replacing it with a resister in the electronics for the ECU to run right. Taking out the servo that went to the exhaust butterfly and putting a resister in line. Im hoping to get a lock up clutch in it soon but we will see. (depends on tax return)

Ive got my 40 lb block of lead pretty much done and ready to bolt on as a ballest.

That will about do it for me.
            Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
            6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
            5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

I usually get time to get started on my winter projects around the first of march

This year it's fork springs and emulators, NRC covers, and a new tail.....and lots of detail painting.
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Working...
              X