No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

Hey guys!!!

I am the owner of 93 Katana 600. I wasn't in the market for a motorcycle but for the $400 I paid for it, I can honestly say it was the best $400 I have ever spent. Runs great, shifts smooth, and doesnt leak oil!!!

I am mostly a car guy. I am a track day instructor, and I drive a rally car.

A little paint and TLC

and the car

I currently also have been reading up and I'm pretty sure I ate 2nd gear. I cant clutchless shift into and getting out of 2nd gear. Last night it started popping out after heavy load.

So I am gonna by a gear set and fix it over winter. But I also want to know a couple things:

1.) What is the cross compatibility between bikes? (years)
    2.) Since the engine will basically be ripped apart what is worth while doing and replacing?
    3.) how crazy are the tolerances? (I work on RC cars too and tolerances are non-existent. Just put it back together. But on real cars it means everything)

4.) any special tools needed for a trans build?

Welcome to KatRiders. You will find repairing second gear is not technically difficult, it is time consuming. Info on repair is essentially the same on all Suzuki street bikes of the same era. Read up and dig in. Good Luck.

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders.
      And now you know why clutchless shifting is not recommended with these Kats.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Welcome to KR!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Welcome!

So clutch less shifting isn't recommended. The shift forks are the weak point of the engine/tranny on pre (before '98) Kats. And now yours is bent. It's a relatively common occurrence.

If you're mechanically included enough, pull and inspect the old tranny. It's possible you can get away with just the shift fork. Either way, when you're in there, think about installing a factory pro shift kit, makes it less likey shift forks get bent in the future.
          You can also consider undercutting the gears (or at least 2nd). APE does it and I think holeshot does too. Kinda pricey though.

As far as tolerances, it's an oil cooled motor so it's got greater tolerances than water cooled.

Good luck
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

So can I throw a 98+ set of shift forks into the bike?

Comment

Dunno, you can look at a parts fiche (bikebandit for example) and see if your year and other years or models part #s match up.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Welcome to KR. Good luck with the trainy.

Comment

I think, but not 100% sure that the bottom end of the motors is the same, except there was some design change on the transmission due to the frequency of bent shift forks.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

anyone have a full service manual with torque specs? I am gonna tackle this over winter break.

Also are there one and done fasteners?

Comment

Ok. I ordered my parts. But before I go off on this adventure I have a question...

Does anyone have any good idea how to keep the bike upright so the engine drops perpendicular to the ground?

Comment

Working...
                      X