X

stopping at lights HELP!!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stopping at lights HELP!!!!!

Ok this is crazy at slow speeds i have no problem with stopping at all. (without the bike shutting down)

but when i am riding along going about 50 - 55. I then prepare to stop let off the gas step and pull in the the breaks (slowing down pretty good). I let the RPMs get down to about 2000 - 1000.

then i pull is the clutch and then the bike shuts down.

mind you all the bik is idling great, shifting up gears no problem, just stoping and keeping the bike running after being stop is a problem. this only happens on the open road.

I am tired of starting my bike up after every stop light or stop sign.

help me please

what can i do.

Pull the clutch first, then brake.... try that and see if it helps you.

Have you taken the MSF course?

If I remember correctly, they covered that in the course....

If your bike is still cuttin out on you, then I would try your idle setting.

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

I'm thinking FA screws..
      Unless it's technique, but I got the idea it only happened from 50 MPH or so

Comment

You could trick the bike and just downshift until you are going slow then brake. Temp fix anyway.
        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
        JOHN 16:33

Comment

I usually down shift into neutral approaching a stop, then go up into second if the light changes or stays green, or down into first if I hit a complete stop.

Is the clutch properly adjusted?
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

you should never downshift and remain in neutral, leaving the bike without a power atainable position...you should always be in a gear. If something happens as you approach the intersection or stop and you have to make an emergancy manouver you will not be in the position to make it. Always have your bike in gear while riding as at anytime something could happen and force you to get out of there in a rush...if you are not in a gear you will waste precious time putting it back in gear.

Just an Instructors point of view
            Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

That's true Haggisman, good tip, you always gotta be ready to go cause your life could depend on it. Here's an example http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/1bikestop.gif
              R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Sounds like your stalling your bike. Are you down shifting through each gear as the rpm's decrease to slow down along with using your breaks?
                We intimidate those who intimidate others.
                Stay Alert! Stay Alive!

Comment

It sounds to me like he isn't downshifting at all, however my first suspect would be the idle setting.

Comment

Great reminder...I was sitting at a light years ago on a nighthawk 750. I could see a vehicle flying up on me and I said "F@#! it" and burst through the red light, sure enough the drunk bone head never slowed down, flew sideways through the intersection and almost flipped the truck... Always keep an eye on the vehicles behind you, they might be drunk or just an idiot...
                    "So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young"

Comment

Originally posted by Woody6799
                      It sounds to me like he isn't downshifting at all, however my first suspect would be the idle setting.
                      I agree. This is going to be the easiest possible fix. I'd try bumping the idle up to about 1500 RPMs and see if it still stalls while sitting at a light. If not, try backing it off until you get to the recommended 1.3k RPMs (or whatever it is).

If you can't get it to stay lit at that low of an idle, you might need to synch your carbs, adjust the FA mix, like Peter suggested, clean the carbs, or just run a few tankfuls of Techron or Sea Foam through.
                      1994 Naked Katana 600
                      Search KatRiders with Google | SEO Firefox Extension | New SUSE Linux Users | My Motorcycle Blog

Comment

I know when I was taking the MSF course the bike I was riding was doing the same thing. The instructor came over, adjusted the idle speed control screw and it didn't stall the rest of the day with the exception of me being dumb and letting off the clutch when I was thinking I was in neutral. OPPS!!!
                        Bier ist gut fuer dich! Trinkt es immer!

Comment

You may have sticky throttle slides. At higher speeds the slides are open fuller and when you decelerate using engine braking the engine is pulling high vacuum. This could cause an excessively rich mixture and cause stalling.

If not carb slide I would still suspect carbs.

Comment

I took the CA MSF, but I dont really downshift. Clutch is harder to replace than brake pads. I just slow down til the RPMS get to about 2k, pull in the clutch, and kick down gears as I slow (leaving myself the option to drop the clutch into the appropriate gear at any time).

I ALWAYS stay in first at lights. It's just dumb to sit on an open road in nuetral.

Comment

Working...
                            X