Clear All

Originally posted by roughKAT View Post
    [ATTACH]22741[/ATTACH]
    Another!
    for whatever reason that didnt work

Comment

getting close

bike.jpg

i actually have the front on too but i dont have a picture of that yet.

Comment

okay guys i think im selling everything. Ask me what you want. I dont know if i have enough posts to put it up on the for sale thread but ill check it out.

Comment

street fighter

very cool to see your exctement on project...I got a real clean 92 1100kat that I've decided to remove all the front fairings on,mount a smaller gsxr750 instrument panel,twin round halogen lights below it and a modified fzr1000 lower fairing(bottom scoop).frame to be painted wrinkle finish black,and got some mirrors with integrated turn signals(not sure how to work them in yet).
          Soooo many options,so little time!Will try to get pics on the progress of this.

Comment

Who doesnt like a naked bike? No mirrors, no registration, no turn signals and no stopping for the cops lol. Feels like I should be wearing a 1%er patch some where.....
            You have to pet your KAT to make it purrrrrr! :stuffhappens :

Comment

Nice work, I like how thorough you are being with the break down.

Comment

My first build Katana 750

Not sure if I am supposed to write this here. I saw "my first build and presumed this is the place. Looks like I the second person to post a build on this thread. Here goes....

The subject: This is my first build. A kid was leaving town and he bought it off a middle aged gent. It was too good of a deal to pass up and only needed minor repairs.

The background: I had given up race bikes for my wife and though my bike obnoxious cruiser was nice and comfortable and my wife loves it, I found myself missing what I called "real bikes".

This is sport touring bike (GSXR engine geared down) with a more upright position for longer rides (albeit slightly heavier steering) and water cooled so more robust. So it was a compromise to have something that reminded me of a race bike without breaking my promise to the wifey.

I began with the repairs:

New fork seals
                Valve adjustment
                New Chain
                Carb clean
                Fix bad wiring and replace relays

Then came the fun stuff: finding out what happens it you rip it to pieces and slap it about.

Ripped off the fairings
                Re-matte blacked frame and engine
                Took of front and rear lights
                removed indicators
                removed front and rear frame and brackets
                removed instrument panel
                New lights and indicators all round
                Fabbed brackets for new front light and instrument panel
                Redid wiring for front and rear lights and indicators
                fabbed brackets for rear lights and license plate
                Matte black paint job and pin striping on body and wheels
                Cut seat and seat pan
                Custom rear fairing and pillion seat cover
                160 rear tire (just fits with enough clearance on stock rim)
                De-restricted and painted exhaust from headers to cans
                Cut out baffles (loud as f*ck now...perhaps too much)

The best part:

Price of bike: $1300
                (Purchase price: $650)
                (Repair Costs: $450)
                (Parts: $200)

Sale of Fairings (barring belly pan and front fender) : $300
                Sale of Front light and frame $85
                Sale of some old wire wheels I had laying around I got for free: $200

Actual cost to me of the bike: $1300-585 = $715
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Nefi; 04-25-2014, 11:21 AM.

Comment

PS - I have a 1991 katana 750 rear frame and light with all housing and side indicator lights for sale - make me an offer.

Comment

Haven't seen an 1100 turned cafe racer before, looks surprisingly good. Nice job! Probably would have been better to start your own thread, but since the thread is old, probably not a big deal. Welcome to KR!
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Thanks. I had some other pics from all the things I tried first, like the mess I made of the new headlight at first, the partial painting of the rear fairings and leaving the rear "as is"

I then had a partial tank paint to cover up the side lip and put a white pin stripe on, tried numerous brackets for the rear once the complete tail was removed leaving only the seat.

Finally I decided to just do it already and began chopping and what not. Turned out ok for an old bike. The wife actually likes it, rode it around the gym parking lot (my heart dropped a bit as its a heavy bike and she is petite, didn't want her to get hurt) but I think the only thing I would do to it now is:

Cut and re-weld the subframe to raise the tail
                      Put the MT03 headlight on the thing and lose the round cone light
                      MAYBE swap the clip-ons and put risers and moto-bars on it (but those look better on a bandit or gsxr than an already upright katana) don't you think?

AM ALWAYS OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO TRY!!!!! Please let me know. I am a noooob!

Comment

so where can i buy a cafe racer style tail end for my 89 750 katana? or would i have to custom fabricate one myself?

thanks

Comment

Turned out a lot better than i expected when I started reading your post. that ass end looks great! Nice job
                          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                          X