High idle/ bike wont idle..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High idle/ bike wont idle..

I have a 91 gsxf 600 and the bike will turn over but then Idles at 6~5k

No matter what I do to the idle adjuster cable. I synced my carbs visually according to the carb 101 write up. the bike sounded great! it was Idling but it was a little low and almost sounded like it was going to stall and if I didnt blip the throttle it would die. I know the carbs are clean I have the a/f screws set to 2.5 out on the cali model. I am also running a yoshi slip on pipe.

When I tried to sync the carbs doing 1-2 first the idle would jump to 5-6k and hang there.. So then I tried 3-4 and the idle was staying right at 5k.

I am using my friends legit carb syncing tool. And I managed to get 1,2,3 in sync but the idle is still at 5k..

please help. Again the idle adjuster does not make a difference no matter which way I turn it. I have it currently just snug against the idle bar thing.

is my choke still open in this picture?

thank you for all the help sorry its so long
    Last edited by 1swifthawaiian7; 07-21-2011, 07:38 PM.

Gotta sync 1&2 together then 3&4. Then sync the 2 sides with the screw in the middle. Idle may climb but should be able the drop using the idle adjust after all are synced. they sync again using the same method and continue until it idles around 1750 for final sync.
    When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

And yes, it looks like the choke (enrichment circuit, really) is still slightly engaged. Usually you'll get one or more enrichment plungers being held out because one or more of the tangs on the slide are bent a little. Grab your trusty needle-nose pliers and start tweaking until all 4 plungers have a little slop in both directions.

Oh, do this with the choke cable disconnected just to make sure that's not causing you any trouble.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Yeah, the choke is 100%, without a doubt, open.

Comment

Okay I need a new choke cable, guy a stockers sold me the wrong part again.... I knew the 95wrong wasn't going to fit my 91

Comment

'95 and '91 SHOULD be the same cable. The fiche says it is...

What's up with Ron Ayers website tonight? SLOW!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Since I have the cali carbs with the smaller pilot jets and a yoshi slip on pipe should my at screws be at 2.75 instead of the 2.5 its at now?

Comment

I think I'd set the AF screws at 2.5 and replace the stupid Cali pilot jets.

But that's just me...

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by 1swifthawaiian7 View Post
                  Since I have the cali carbs with the smaller pilot jets and a yoshi slip on pipe should my at screws be at 2.75 instead of the 2.5 its at now?
                  Uuuummm, CA carbs don't have smaller pilot jets. They ALL use 32.5 pilot jets.
                  And the 91 and 95 choke cable are the same thing duder.

Comment

The choke cable has a 90 degree bend after where the spring rests against it. Is that normal? Because I can see 3 more links on the carbs where it looks like the choke cable should run through?? Thanks for the help

Comment

The bend is supposed to be there.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I dont understand why it idles so high then and why the idle screw doesnt adjust it

Comment

We covered that a couple of days ago. Your choke is still engaged.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Fixed the choke and synced the carbs the best i could and the bike was running great sounded good.WOULD NOT stall when it was idling. A little hesitation when I would rev it. But it had a lot of power and sounded like a katana should. I took it around the neighborhood and came to a stop sign and it stalled on me.. Could not get it to turn back over... a/f screws are set to 2.5 out. I have a full exhaust 4 to 1 linked to a yoshi pipe. should I back them out to 3? 3.5? I dunno if this plays a roll but I am also running fuel filters
                            Last edited by 1swifthawaiian7; 07-21-2011, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1swifthawaiian7 View Post
                              Fixed the choke and synced the carbs the best i could and the bike was running great sounded good.WOULD NOT stall when it was idling. A little hesitation when I would rev it. But it had a lot of power and sounded like a katana should. I took it around the neighborhood and came to a stop sign and it stalled on me.. Could not get it to turn back over... a/f screws are set to 2.5 out. I have a full exhaust 4 to 1 linked to a yoshi pipe. should I back them out to 3? 3.5? I dunno if this plays a roll but I am also running fuel filters
                              Take them off, like yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X