No announcement yet.
X

Melted plastic in my air box!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update time.......Got the engine timing marks lined up for the first set of adjustments then brought out the feeler gauges. EVERY VALVE WAS TOO TIGHT! HA! Just for more laughs before I made those adjustments I turned the motor 360 degrees to check the other valves and......same crap. I'm suprised the motor was running! Finishing the adjustments now. I will update again when finished.

Comment

Just don't forget, you will need to repair/replace that airbox situation. It's not gonna run well like that.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Alright.... no more flames but still running rough. did the water on the header test and cylinder #4 is alot cooler than 1-4. Water stays and does not burn off. Im stumped!

Comment

Dirty carb. Low compression. Vacuum leak. Out of sync. You have to vacuum sync after a valve job.

Comment

I have 1 vacuum tester but when i hook it up the needle jumps all over....on all 4 carbs. I really can't afford to take it in but I think I may be out of my league!

Comment

You need a vacuum restrictor and at least 2 gauges to do a sync properly. With a set of gauges or the right tool it's a 5 minute job or less. If you can adjust valves, this is a walk in the park. Seriously. Find, borrow, rent, or buy the gauges. You'll need them no matter what bike you have.

Comment

I borrowed one of these from a buddy

The right tool makes all the difference. That one makes it EASY. It is a little spendy, but for the price of having a shop do it you can have the tool. (That kit comes with the vacuum restrictors you need -- the restrictor slows down the fluctuations). I don't care if you buy it from where I posted, but something like that is what you're after.

I know on my '00 the #4 carb vacuum port is larger (it's the one that runs the petcock) so you may need to get a couple other parts to adapt that one to the tool's line size but nothing another ~$5 won't buy (I got lucky and had what I needed in my garage).

If you don't want to spend that much, I have seen DIY plans using a single gauge, a 4-gang aquarium air control valve set and a length of 3" or 4" PVC. Cap off he PVC to use as a reservoir to tame fluctuations, add a couple barbs for hose (one for the gauge and one for the air valve gang), and the multi-gang air controller to switch from one cylinder to another on the gauge. Total cost of the DIY unit was ~$30 or so.

The 4" PVC was recommended because you can buy one cap to be screw on and get double-use of the pipe to store the other components inside when you're not using it.
                Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
                H. L. Mencken

Comment

So I finally got around to buying the motion pro sync tool. Works great, really simple to use! Now my idle is slow to get to normal after giving it some gas. Any suggestions?

Comment

i've read/been told you're running lean with that symptom. Rich is idle dropping fast and dipping below then coming back up.

as for a means to fix it could be your a/f screws, vacuum leak, are you running a stock filter?
                    -Brandon

Comment

thats not from valves or backfiring while running, A running engine or even an engine turning over will suck the flames right back in.

What that is caused from is some one trying to start the engine by spraying starting fluid or fuel into the carbs. Most likely Ether. it will hydrate the rubber and a back fire can ignite it.

its not the first time ive seen it happen
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Stock air filter. going to look for a vacuum leak today. By the time I get things right with this bike I should be a pro!

Comment

Originally posted by ogdaveross View Post
                          Stock air filter. going to look for a vacuum leak today. By the time I get things right with this bike I should be a pro!

Did you replace all the boots that were damaged in the fire?

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                            Did you replace all the boots that were damaged in the fire?

Krey
                            AND air box?
                            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

airbox yes....boots were not damaged. didnt get around to checking yet, rear shoes, and cylinders on my car went out. ill update on the bike soon!

Comment

Well. bike was running great so went riding with some friends.....filled up on gas......went to get on the freeway and hit a gravel patch and slid into a curb! stator cover smashed, oil leaked out, dent in the wheel, and forks twisted. Back to the drawing board! p.s. not a scratch on me!

Comment

Working...
                                X