Cleaning an torn down engine.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning an torn down engine.

Hello,

As you may know I am tearing my engine apart completely, crank case and all.

I was wondering if while I have the engine in parts if it would hurt anything to power wash the outside of the crank case, block, and heads?

I would obviously dry everything right away but I am not sure if there would be any ill effects? I would also block off the cylinders. Any advice or reasons not too ?
    Follow my custom build thread! (check first post for major updates and to sell me parts!)

Free Parts

I often prefer to leave ferrous items dirty/oily until it's time to inspect them and/or reinstall.

I have tried to plug engines and clean them, but it's very hard to know if you're successful until you open it up and find things rusted, or not. I think it's risky to powerwash anything you won't be able to start up immediately if there are ferrous parts involved, i.e.: bores, cranks, rods, transmissions.

Comment

Originally posted by Molochnik View Post
      I often prefer to leave ferrous items dirty/oily until it's time to inspect them and/or reinstall.

I have tried to plug engines and clean them, but it's very hard to know if you're successful until you open it up and find things rusted, or not. I think it's risky to powerwash anything you won't be able to start up immediately if there are ferrous parts involved, i.e.: bores, cranks, rods, transmissions.
      Hmm I guess I'll just get a hard brush for the outside case and see what I can get off. I just want it to be semi clean because it was filthy when I got it. I have everything apart so drying it wouldn't be hard and then spraying fogging oil. I have the pistons out and everything. I guess better safe than sorry.

Also this was supposed to be posted in the katana section not in the long term project section! Sorry
      Last edited by Yeoj112689; 06-29-2015, 05:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Follow my custom build thread! (check first post for major updates and to sell me parts!)

Free Parts

Comment

Some WD-40 and those cheap red rags could do a pretty good job. It's definitely worth getting things clean before reassembly - especially the outside of cases, jugs, et al, since the crap on the outside can easily find its way inside.

Comment

Pressure washing before assembly is a must. It can be done after as well.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            Pressure washing before assembly is a must. It can be done after as well.
            Yeah I plan on pressure washing the entire frame as well before placing the engine back in because its pretty grimy. The only thing I do not plan on pressure washing is near the fork seals. The rest is going to be washed and painted. I have the entire wiring harness off so it should be semi easy. I am just curious on how fast the cylinders will rush if water is on them. I do not want to have any issues with them if avoidable.

Free Parts

Comment

Just spray them down with WD40 after.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Just spray them down with WD40 after.
                Will the WD40 have any ill effects on the internals if not removed prior to installation? I would assume its oil base wouldn't hurt much but I don't like to assume on such a big project and have to redo it.

Free Parts

Comment

I have had no bad experience WD on internals, however, after fairly invasive maintenance I typically run a batch oil through it (for a break-in perhaps) and drain it. I'll even wait to change oil until after a valve adjustment; after it's buttoned up, go for a cruise, and change the oil.
                  I was actually looking for some cheap "rinse" oil at the auto parts store and nothing was cheaper than Rotella - what I plan on using for normal operation.

Comment

Originally posted by Molochnik View Post
                    I have had no bad experience WD on internals, however, after fairly invasive maintenance I typically run a batch oil through it (for a break-in perhaps) and drain it. I'll even wait to change oil until after a valve adjustment; after it's buttoned up, go for a cruise, and change the oil.
                    I was actually looking for some cheap "rinse" oil at the auto parts store and nothing was cheaper than Rotella - what I plan on using for normal operation.
                    This is my plan as well. I don't plan on having it up and running this summer (engine will be, body probably won't) so I plan on running some cheap oil in it to make sure its runs and such after the rebuild. Then most likely winterize it until the frame and such is ready.

Free Parts

Comment

Well I think I've decided I am going to block off the cylinders and I pulled the Pistons and all internals, I am going to power wash the outside and get the water off asap. I'll post results.

Free Parts

Comment

I haven't had any issues with WD after cleaning an engine. You just need to bock oxygen from the now bare metal.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

I haven't had any issues with WD after cleaning an engine. You just need to bock oxygen from the now bare metal.
                          How fast will it rust with the water on there? I want to avoid flash rusting but I am not sure how fast it will start.

Free Parts

Comment

It's pretty quick. That's why I use Water Displacement 40
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

It's pretty quick. That's why I use Water Displacement 40
                              Do you spray it on before or after or both? I just don't want it to mess up my cylinders.

Free Parts

Comment

Working...
                              X