X

Leakage somewhere in the circuit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leakage somewhere in the circuit

I did a leakage test on my bike after installing a new battery. The multimeter reads 1.4 mA. After trouble shooting for a bit, the problem was narrowed down to the instrument cluster. When the instrument cluster is unplugged, the reading goes down to .36 mA. However, this is still higher than the max reading for a leakage test(0.1 mA) in the service manual. I disconnected everything that i possibility could, but still no luck.

Here are my questions, How could i test where the .36 mA is coming from. How bad is a 1.4mA leak?
    Last edited by lazyazn; 07-15-2012, 01:57 PM.

after some more trouble shooting. It looks like the clock in the instrument cluster is to blame. the clock draws 1.04 mA. Furthermore, I was able to identify that the alternator draws a charge of .36mA.

this, somehow, leads me to believe that the leakage in the service manual is different for a 05 kat. Does anyone know an acceptable leakage amount for post kats? Just trying to assess whether this will drain my battery or not.
    Last edited by lazyazn; 07-15-2012, 11:50 PM.

Comment

thats a completely normal draw.
      yes it will kill the battery if you let it sit for long periods of time without a float/storage charger
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
        thats a completely normal draw.
        yes it will kill the battery if you let it sit for long periods of time without a float/storage charger
        Could you elaborate on long periods of time? a week, a month, half of a year?

Comment

Generally speaking, if your looking at storage more than 30 days... use a charger. It should last at least that long.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I use my tender if im going to be parking the bike for more then a week
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
            X