X

No fire on Cyl 4

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No fire on Cyl 4

Im hoping this might be a fluke but I went out to ride yesterday and the bike couldnt idle to save its life.
    After I somehow got home I started tearing down.
    At idle the first bend of the headers were measured for heat. 1-3 were about 450f 4 was 150. So obviously #4 wasnt firing.

Checked plugs, they appear fine. Even swapped them around and retested with the same results.
    Tore into carbs and all bowls had some fine debris inside, #4 was worse but not by a crazy amount. Also Cyl 4 A/F screw was only 2 turns and not 2.5 like the rest.
    Im thinking about checking the valve train but im weary because ive never done it before.
    What else could cause one cyl. to not fire? What else should I look at while its torn apart?

The carbs were dipped and rebuilt with brand new parts only a year ago and it ran fine.

Hope Arsenic can chime in with something helpful after he has some coffee and is out of his grump stage
    Seriously im willing to learn to get this dialed in. Im looking up the valve procedure this morning.

It's most likely dirty carbs. What's the inside of your tank look like?
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Tank inside looks spotless with no sight of rust.
      Also I should note that I dont have a fuel filter. I believe the Post Kats should have one is this correct?

Im tearing them apart again and dipping one section a day to clean them again like before. Hope this doesnt come back.

Comment

The post kat has a strainer, which is more wire mesh than it is fuel filter. You are sure the top of the tank is spotless? Most tanks I've seen the bottom looks fine.... but when you start looking at the top you can see all the scale and rust.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Ill check again for posterity tonight after I drain the tank.
          Im already this deep in, no sense in half-assing something i'm trusting with my life.

Comment

I did a water bath for the carb bowls and I had a ton of junk in the water afterwords. Guessing they are just dirty again.

Comment

UPDATE
              Got the carbs back on and synced and its smooth as silk. Now to see what breaks next. This KAT is just a can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat Floyd View Post
                UPDATE
                Got the carbs back on and synced and its smooth as silk. Now to see what breaks next. This KAT is just a can of worms.
                You can catch a lot of fish with a can of worms, just try fishing.
                Tekgnomes Crazy Custom Fighter
                The Screaming Banshee <

Big Bore B12 swapped madness

Comment

Hope you get to put a few miles on her this time.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post

Hope you get to put a few miles on her this time.
                    I hope so too. I only got in about 1500 miles this year because of all the down time.

Comment

Working...
                    X