Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

99 suzuki katana 600 exhaust issue startup problem.. any expert to help ??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 suzuki katana 600 exhaust issue startup problem.. any expert to help ??

Hey Folks!
    I've recently acquired a '99 Suzuki Katana 600, which I'm totally loving being on.. however, there's couple of things which do makes me a bit uncomfortable, and I can't help thinking of fixing them somehow..
    just fyi.. I've recently got the Jets changed (replaced a new kit) with the fuel flowing richer than usual..
    Now, for starters, I'm facing ignition / startup problems in the morning.. although it's cold here, but still it takes quite a while, and after starting the first time, the rpm gets lower and lower and ultimately the engine stops.. (even using choke)
    Then comes the part where I have to throttle it a bit to start, and it gives out quite some smoke too..
    Soon after it's up, I still get the engine cutting off on me at certain points, as if the exhaust is choked.. there's quite a lot of backfire pops from the exhaust.. and that continues for the whole time I ride it afterwards..

So, I hope you've got the scenario, and can guide me in the right direction..

Thanks in advance..

J.

Sounds like you are running too rich. The pops are unburned fuel igniting. kats are notoriously cold starters, get an ignition advancer and that will help a bit. If you are running too rich, you will start fouling plugs and that won't help either.

What jet kit did you put in and what are your settings.

The guys here will be able to give you better answers with more specific information.
    2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
    BMC Notorious 918 HT
    2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Have you cleaned the carbs recently? Has the bike sat for any extended period of time? As the bike warms up it runs worse? Does it pop on deceleration or all the time? What jets did you put in? Air/fuel mixture settings? Bad battery? Sorry for so many questions but the information you gave is pretty generic, just trying to narrow it down
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
      X