X

keep loosing #2 and #3 spark

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keep loosing #2 and #3 spark

i keep loosing the #2 and #3 sparks due to the cdi goign out this will be m fourth cdi and i have swapped out the wiring harness twice. any ideas as to what could cause this. and this is second motor as well. with different pickup coils.

I think we need a bit more info..
    4 CDIs? Are you sure your using the right one?

Comment

What about a loose connection to the CDI itself?
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I'm gonna blame SteveS... he's been screwing with Chinto for a week now and has to move on to someone knew... Hate to say it Noob, but today just ain't your day (tomorrow don't look to good for you either).

Okay, seriously, you gotta drop a little more detail...
        "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

well it came with one cdi. it's a 94 kat 600. there are no fairings on the bike for sarters. my brother has been riding it with the carbs jacked up. the #1 cylinder carb had a leak as well as allof them needing to be cleaned. #2 and #3 went. we switched the cdi out from one one ebay. worked for a week and did the same thing when we took it on the interstate. this time we switched out the cdi and wiring harness from a junkyard bike. ran probably another week and #2 and #3 quit again. i decided to put everything from a 97 project bike on to this bike cause t only had 10,000mi on the bike. includes the cdi and wiring harness. well took it and got the carbs cleaned at a shop. well found out it need a new diaphragm seal or whatever you call the rubber piece. when brought it to the guy working on my bike and he installs it and goes to sart it up what you know no #2 and #3.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

I had a break in my cables that was about 3" up from the spark plug boots. The break was internal so it would cut in and out all the time.

But switching harnesses should have eliminated all of that. If it is always #2 and #3 what about coils?

Comment

i would say there is a 90% chance of it being in your coils. the # 2 and # 3 cylinders fire off of the same coil. you will want to check your plug wires too. if they were yanked on they could have seperated from the caps and be firing intermentantly. just twist them clockwise to tighten them on the wires. i would actually recomend this any time you change your plugs.
                your suzuki qualified tech

flinstone little block mod

Comment

My best guess, if it's actually the CDI and not the coils: the wrong aftermarket coils blowing out the CDI's. Several cross-references for Accel & Dyna brand coils list the wrong coil for the Kats, and that "wrong" coil will damage the CDI. And no, the manufacturer nor distributor will pay to fix the issue.

IMHO: new OEM coils from Suzuki. Peace of mind.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Last edited by The CyberPoet; 03-04-2008, 12:44 PM.
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

that is a good point. if that was the problem wouldn't it be both coils he would be having problems with?

Comment

Not necessarily. Since one coil controls plugs 1&4 and the other plugs 2&3, it's possible that just one was swapped...

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

toshaa but he said coils as in plurral so i assumed it was both changed and u should never assume lol

Comment

His luck is probly the kind that cause he is using all old and used parts, no new ones. He could be getting all the bad stuff at once.

I know rather unlikely infact probably almost impossible but I have seen far weirder

Comment

swap the coils and see if the problem moves

Comment

i'd chase down the wire from CDI to offending coil, then from coil to ground. a short or bad connection can open with heat, and a short could well toast a CDI. another possibility could well be the signal generator and associated wiring.
                              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                              X