X

Rear brake metal on metal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake metal on metal

So I realized after a long trip that my rear brake pads were totally worn to nothing and were riding metal on metal. I know, I should have checked this before I went. Now I checked the rotor and its still thick enough, over 5mm but is a little grooved now. Can I get away with just replacing the pads and be ok? I don't have the money for a new rotor or the labor at this time. I can change the pads myself though.

Thanks guys!

i would put my safey before my money but sometimes were just broke. depending how deep the groove is i say pad slap it on until you can afford to replace the rotor and replace the pad again later. If its too deep then i would not ride it at all. Once rotor is groved (depending how deep) it wears your new pads prematurely and also your stopping distance is shorten or take longer to stop. post a pic of the rotor and lets see.
    this is the best icon eva

Comment

Mine are grooved and they seem to stop fine. If they are bad enough you will probaly get some vibration when braking. But 96Katana is right, it will wear you pads faster.
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

The grooves are not too bad and apparently I road for over 500 miles with nothing at but metal back there. I am surprised my buddies did not see sparks flying out my *** end! I will take a picture and see if you can tell. Its not bad but its sure not flat. I know its going to wear the new pads worse but its also $180 for the rotor plus labor. I have always used my front breaks along with my back so thats probably why I did not notice a major difference when breaking.

Comment

yeah, it should be fine to replaced the pads, but depending on how bad the grooves are in your rotor I would replace them asap.
          sigpic2006 KAT 750

"Ever wonder how some people have made it as far in life as they have?"

Comment

Just use the front brake and ride on!

Comment

Here are some shots. The pictures actualy make it look worse than it is. The rust looking mark is just that, rust.
              Attached Files

Comment

when i bought my 100 dollar kat...the back brakes were wore down so much that the piston of the caliper wore through the brake pad...so my piston was what was hitting the rotor...i slapped new pads on mine even with the rotor being badly grooved. it will wear brake pads down alot faster but other then that it seems fine...also you may be able to take the rotor to a machine shop and get them to turn the rotor down.

Comment

You will be fine. Just put new pads on and use the rear brake in the few applications where it is called for.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by coreo19 View Post
                    ...also you may be able to take the rotor to a machine shop and get them to turn the rotor down.
                    Yeah, not so much. If the shop was able to turn them down (pro shops won't touch it) you would end up with a rotor that was under the min thickness anyways.

If the groves are not below min thickness, your fine. If they are, replace asap.

The pads will wear quickly to the groves, and then work like normal.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      Yeah, not so much. If the shop was able to turn them down (pro shops won't touch it) you would end up with a rotor that was under the min thickness anyways.

+1

From someone with machining experience, 5mm ain't a lot to work with...

Remember that 2.54mm = 1 inch.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                        +1

From someone with machining experience, 5mm ain't a lot to work with...

Remember that 2.54mm = 1 inch.
                        Sure you don't mean 2.54CM?

Comment

I think he meant 25.4 mm 2.54mm would be 0.1"
                          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
                            I think he meant 25.4 mm 2.54mm would be 0.1"
                            Um...we're saying the same thing.

2.54 CM = 25.4MM

Comment

Originally posted by Eyball View Post
                              Here are some shots. The pictures actualy make it look worse than it is. The rust looking mark is just that, rust.
                              i think it would be ok to pad slap that bad boy and be on your way. might be a good time to replace your brake fluid too if you have some extra time depending how old the fluid is.
                              this is the best icon eva

Comment

Working...
                              X