X

Cooling Vest Recommendations Needed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling Vest Recommendations Needed

I'm looking at getting a cooling vest for a ride down to the Florida Keys in July. It definitely gets hot and humid here in Indiana and the heat doesn't bother me, but I'm thinking for a 2500 mile round trip ride south in July, I'm going to need all the help I can get to stay comfortable. I'm an ATGATT rider, so riding without full protective gear is not an option.

So far, one of my top picks is the Fieldsheer Iceberg Vest. I like the idea of being able to zip it off versus pulling it over my head.

Thanks!
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Helen Keller

The problem with all of those vests is they dont do anything for you unless you have lots of ventilation. Even then, they will only work as long as they are not completely saturated with sweat. So unless they are completely exposed (as in not wearing a jacket) they will only work for a few hours. I know you are into having all your gear so I assume that means you want leather on, but have you considered a good mesh jacket? they will give you great ventilation and offer a decent amount of protection. just wear a dark t shirt under it and keep an extra shirt handy for if you encounter rain or get really sweaty. I did a trip from here in south fl to the dragon one summer and wearing the mesh jacket worked out great for me.

Comment

Thanks for info! Yes, I have a good mesh jacket. I have a jacket for every kind of weather. I think I have more riding jackets than street jackets.

I also have a light weight, wicking type material, protective liner to wear underneath the mesh. So, I might just be good enough without a cooling vest.
      Last edited by SuzukiGirl600; 03-13-2014, 07:06 AM.
      "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by SuzukiGirl600 View Post
        Thanks for info! Yes, I have a good mesh jacket. I have a jacket for every kind of weather. I think I have more riding jackets than street jackets.

I also have a light weight, wicking type material, protective liner to wear underneath the mesh. So, I might just be good enough without a cooling vest.
        You should be good. I'm assuming most of your trip will be on the highway and if thats the case, you'll have plenty of wind going through the jacket. It does get quite hot and humid down here, but once you get down into the Keys it cools off a little because you're completely surrounded by water so you get the nice cool ocean breeze.

Comment

Two considerations.

1) The cooling vests are a form of evaporative cooling. They probably won't work very well in a region with high humidity (like the keys).

2) mesh can actually severely dehydrate you on a hot day. I've seen this happen a few times, and long distance riders will tell you the same. Be careful wearing mesh on long trips to stay hydrated, otherwise you'll sweat out all the fluids. Leather may be a little funky but it'll block some of the moisture loss.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            Two considerations.

1) The cooling vests are a form of evaporative cooling. They probably won't work very well in a region with high humidity (like the keys).

2) mesh can actually severely dehydrate you on a hot day. I've seen this happen a few times, and long distance riders will tell you the same. Be careful wearing mesh on long trips to stay hydrated, otherwise you'll sweat out all the fluids. Leather may be a little funky but it'll block some of the moisture loss.
            Good point. I completely forgot to mention I was wearing a camel back on my trip and had to fill it up at almost every stop.

Comment

I have a Techniche cooling vest/jacket (sleeves are removeable), and that thing with the sleeves on will chill you while in motion. As stated, it works via evaporative cooling, so wearing the vest under a ventable jacket (not mesh) will help control the cooling effect. I've worn it in 100+ degree days with my textile jacket fully vented - kept me nice & cool, but only for 45 minutes into a 90 minute commute - the last 45 minutes were warm, but not hot. As stated, humidity does play a part in it, but wearing a good textile or leather jacket will also protect you from overheating - believe it or not. In any event, stay hydrated!
              2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
              2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by Bkohs View Post
                Good point. I completely forgot to mention I was wearing a camel back on my trip and had to fill it up at almost every stop.

I've got a camel back. I made good use of it on my trip from Indy to the east coast of Delaware, even when the temps were warm, but not terribly hot. I made that trip in one day. Staying hydrated was very important. I kept taking regular sips even when I wasn't feeling thirsty. By the time you're feeling thirsty, you're already getting dehydrated.

I also keep a layer between my skin and the outside air even with my mesh jacket on especially on longer rides.

Thanks again for the info.

Comment

Working...
                X