X

is it worth it

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it worth it

I just want to know how much of an improvement is there if I put in gsxr 750 cam shaft in my 2006 katana 600, probably have to rejet as well, and the dealership would do it, the cams cost $300, and I'm sure to do the job will probably cost $500, not sure how long it takes to do it, but is the increase very noticeable, thanks all

yes it very noticeable, when the tach hits 8K, hold on thats when it gets fun. I have no idea if it's worth it to pay someone else to do it. As far as jetting use an Ivan's 600 jet kit. Grind the welds in the header to, and intsall a 5" ignition advancer.

Comment

Bang-for-the-buck... ummmm... at $500 and northwards of that, I'm not on-board with it. You'd be better saving that money towards your next bike or using it on improved suspension components, saddle, etc., IMHO.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

nah dont want another bike, $500 bucks is not bad at all, I think thats cheap, Katana has the looks and comfort, these bike are great

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
          yes it very noticeable, when the tach hits 8K, hold on thats when it gets fun. I have no idea if it's worth it to pay someone else to do it. As far as jetting use an Ivan's 600 jet kit. Grind the welds in the header to, and intsall a 5" ignition advancer.
          Man if a 5 degree ignition advancer is about 3mm rotation from stock, I can only imagine how much a 5" ignition advancer would be!
          -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
          -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

I meant 5 degree I've just seen someone type 5" so I figured that was easier then typing degree

Comment

Not worth it if the dealer is doing it. Chances are they will charge you more than 200 for labor IF you are doing cams and a jet kit at the same time. If you want something faster, save up a little more money and swap a bigger motor in there IMO.... OR upgrade the suspension and tires.

IMO, cams are NOT worth 500+ bucks on a kat.
              Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
              18v Rigid Drill
              Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
              New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

wow an engine swap, wouldnt that cost me thousands to have that done, and how much would a B12 cost me, all in all to do the cam change, re-jet, would run me around $900, thats labour and parts, sure it would be great to throw a B12, but I think that would cost me 2-3 thousand dollars or am I way off

Comment

Depends on what you want to do yourself.
                  If I were going to drop $500 on power mods to my Kat, I'd be buying a 750 or 1100 engine.

But hey that's just me.

Chris

Brakes are next..woo friggin' hoo

Comment

are you saying I can buy and B12 for $500?

Comment

no, no, no. I've never seen a B12 for $500, and if you get a B12 there is like 10K other things you need

Comment

yeah I hear you there, rather go with the cam swap for sure

Comment

I've only seen crappy B12 engines for $500, but you figure if he can get $700 for his existing engine in great shape, and throw another $500 in on top of that, he might well be able to score a perfectly good B12 engine, esp. after the cold weather starts to set in.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

if you shop wisely, and do your homework before spending money, a b12 swap can be done for under $1,300.

That is if you are mechanically inclined and can do the work yourself.
                            Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                            18v Rigid Drill
                            Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                            New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

I hear you, buying the engine is no big deal, just putting it all together is where the problem is, lol there is no way I could do it, so I would have to pay for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X