X

Noob question =\

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob question =\

I might get flamed for this but oh well.

So I'm considering getting 06 600 Katana over a GS500F as a starter bike, but everyone I know around here that rides calls it a "Kan a Tuna" and say they are junk.

I'd like to know first hand from people that actually ride them what you think about a 600 as a starting bike. I would like to buy one used but around here are all just 750+ gixxers and my insurance on that would hurt me bad.

I'm a pretty big guy (6'1 and about 250lb) or I would consider a 250 ninja or so.

Sorry for sounding so noobish but I'll never know if I don't ask =\

Well I won't flame you for asking a good question..

First off how many of your friends have owned and riden Kats?? My guess would be they haven't, so they realy don't have the first hand experience to make such a harsh judgment about the Kat.
    Just a little background information, The Kat engine is the old GSXR oil cooled engine retuned with lower Torque and Horse power for the touring side of the Kat. They are far from being Junk in my opinion.

I love my Kat and don't plan on it going anywhere any time soon. But for a first bike I would recomend an older GS500 for a first bike( the ones without the fairings). In my opinion they are a better first bike to learn on and no fairings to replace if it dose get droped.

But If you feel you must have a 600 then the kat would be on the top of my list.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I'm not exactly sure how many of them have ridden (sp?) them but they all work in a mechanic bike shop so they say they're easy to "fall apart" but they ride CBR's, Gixxers, and one has a Busa. So the way I see it is, the Kat isn't up to thier expectations.

My decision is...

GS500F
      $5100+TTLF

600 Katana
      $6300+TTLF
      and I can get a discount from the dealer to
      $5800+TTLF

But I think my insurance is much cheeper on the GS500F but everyone says I should just stick with the 600.

But I did just do a quick online quote thru progressive just for a refrence, I haven't really done THAT much insurance looking around.

I did sit both of them, switching back and forth alot and I really like how the Kat feels, it's more confortable and even though it's heavier, it FEELS much lighter.

Thanks guys for your time

Comment

The Kat is more comfortable and better for longer rides.
        As far as the Kats falling apart I think that may have something to do with the way someone takes care of thier bike. We have alot of members here with the older first generation Kat that are still in top notch shape and running great.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

The thing you need to remember when buying a Katana is it isn't a GSXR, or a R6, CBR etc etc. It is heavier that all the bikes listed above by about 100lbs and less HP to boot. If you want to wheelie and stunt this is not the bike for you, yes it can be done but the Kat really isn't cut out for it.

Now that's not to say it's a bad bike, it does alot of things well. It comfortable, reliable, easy to work on and easy to maintain.

I rode my Kat from Beamsville Ontario down to Lexington Kentucky, then from there to deals Gap the next day with out a problem. Sure I got stiff but At the end of the day I wasn't sore at all.

At Deals Gap I had a blast, as did everyone else that was at the rally. The Katana can do very well in the twistys. Sure it's more work since it's a heavier bike, but that doesn't reduce the fun factor.

The Big downside to the Kat as a first bike is
          1) full fairings so Drop=expensive
          2) she's heavy, until you get use to it that may be an issue

Now on the highway that extra weigh gives you a smooth well planted ride,but at first when trying to move the bike around it can be a a pain.
          Kyle

Comment

There is no such thing as a dumb question, noob or not. Don't be skeered to ask anything. Flames are "off" for all intelligent questions (unless your name is BaseballPlayer), and yours is intelligent.

+1 to everything that Zukifred said. Most everyone on this board either has or started out with a Katana. I have one (apologies to my son who is waiting for me to hand over the keys) and have no complaints at all.

The Kat doesn't do one thing great, it just does everything well.
            500 miles runs - not a problem.
            Hitting the twisties - can hold it's own.
            "Commuter Extrodinare".

The 600 is a great bike but I would opt for an older GS500, older, non-faired SV650, or even a Ninja500. The learning "drops" are a lot easier to take when it doesn't involve replacing plastic. It's a solid ride, very comfortable. It won't be confused with a Gixxer any time soon but it does have some guts. But I would rather ride with a "good" rider rather than a "fast" rider any day.

If you can score a good used bike it also won't hurt the wallet when it comes time to move to another bike. People are always looking for a good starter bike.

As far as "falling apart", I'm not sure what your friends are talking about. The damn thing is nearly bulletproof. Old school technology never looks better than when it comes time to tear down a new RR bike.
            sigpic

Comment

alot of people just have the 'bigger is better' mindset. so many people will say if its not a 1000cc super sport youll get bored with it and junk like that. most of these people ride super sports have no idea what the bike is capable of. i see so many people that take turns on SS bikes like a grandma but soon as they get the bike straight they let the throttle wide open and think they are cool.

if the kat is such a piece of junk then why would suzuki keep it in production for so long. from what ive herd the motor is pretty much bullet proof. not sure what your friends think is wrong with it specifically.

just remember you dont need the biggest fastest bike out there to have fun riding on. i forget where i herd it but 'riding a slow bike fast is alot more fun than riding a fast bike slow'.
              03 katanika

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice, I don't plan on doing any stunts or anything like that. I just plan on using it for work/school/whatever errands/etc.

My commute to work is about 2.5 miles straight shot in a 55mph zone.

And with this bike, I plan on keeping it for a LONG while so if I drop it with fairings on, oh well, I can replace it later when it's time for a resale. Thats how I see it. The reason I don't want a bike without fairings is ... well I like the way sports bikes look. Without the fairings, they look... well not like a sports bike.

Thanks gain everyone, especialy tdrcomm, for saying "There is no such thing as a dumb question, noob or not. Don't be skeered to ask anything. Flames are "off" for all intelligent questions (unless your name is BaseballPlayer), and yours is intelligent." It really makes me, someone who doesn't even own/ever owned a bike feel welcome here.

Comment

slash.... lemme give you some super advice about your choice in bikes....

if you want something very nice looking, super comfortable for long trips, something that is cheap initially and easy to work on, reliable, quick enough on the straights (enough low end and top end to keep up with most bikes on most normal rides), and ability to run the twisties quite nicely... get a katana.

if you wanna do 180mph, wheelies for miles at a time, and crash and die very soon, get an R1 or a GSXR1000.

my best advice, i can tell you from experience (i learned the hard way).... learn to ride. most of the retards on SS bikes dont know how to ride... and rely on the bike to make them go fast, when in reality the rider is the most important part of the equipment. definitely take the MSF course no matter what bike you get. then, before you go out and try to tear up the twisties and crash like i did, learn some real riding techniques. i jumped on my kat and kept layin it down in the turns... everyone told me it was the bikes fault... then after learning some techniques from various reading and some help from people on this board.... im passing my friends in the twisties on the outside, and draggin knees. keep in mind, these are guys on race bikes. anyways... the katana is a great bike... it has its pros and cons... but whatever you get, learn to ride and youll enjoy being on 2 wheels. good luck

Comment

hey i've got a600 kat with 19k miles in just about 8 months. no problems here. great bike. its all about injoying the ride

Comment

I'd avoid a 250. From everything I've heard they're great for the first few weeks or so as you're learning, and then you just want a little more.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by SlashZero
                        Once you start riding you'll find your commute get's much longer
                        Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
                          Originally posted by SlashZero
                          Once you start riding you'll find your commute get's much longer

Yeah I agree I work about 1 block from my house but the route I take seems to get longer&longer&longer&longer&.....................y ou get the point. So enjoy and learn
                          here's some southerly advice that may come in handy down the road a piece... Next time you are too drunk to drive, walk to the nearest pizza shop and place a delivery order. When they go to deliver it, catch a ride home with them.
                          http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/dragkota98/

Comment

Originally posted by jason05
                            the katana is a great bike...
                            you've done a complete 180 jason! glad to hear it bro!

slash, definitely take the msf course as said before. if you want the kat, get the kat, just be careful. if you respect the bike and your riding limits, you'll do fine.

Long Live the D

Comment

Yeah, the more advice I get from you guys, the more I can't wait to get a bike. I also plan on taking the MSF course since I have no riding experience and it will help me in a closed area, and it gives a good discount

I found one in the classifieds that just came out today and I want to know from you guys if it's a good deal or not. I haven't called about it yet, what should I ask when I call about it?

2001 Katana 600
                              5300 Miles, 2 helmets, 1 jacket
                              $4200

Comment

Working...
                              X