X

Tank VS saddle! Pros and Cons

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank VS saddle! Pros and Cons

I use my bike alot to go to work and school... and i generally carry ALOT of books... and a laptop... so looking for store age space...
    i can put most of my books on the passenger seat with a net so it boils down to a pretty small space that i need to find for (2nd) tool kit , extra gloves , safty vest (bright orange!), dry rag, camera , and a bottle of water...

tank bags are nice looking and dont take up space that could be used by lane spliting, but can be stolen easly and get in the way of fueling...

saddle bags are tacky looking , take up space i could use to lane split ,but are harder to be ripped off the bike....

am i missing anything here?

it seems practicality and beauty are not in the same direction this time...
    any one have any input?

94 600 (soon to be naked!)
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

find a tank bag that has straps so you can wear it as a back pack

Comment

yeah sounds like a cool idea.... any one heard of a good brand?
      Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
      Tony
      94 Katana 600

Comment

I have a Nelson Rigg tankbag. It came with a shoulder strap and works great. As far as refueling goes. I find that I just make sure the tank gets filled up on the few occasions that the bag isn't on there, but with a magnetic its not really as much of PITA anyways.
        2005 Katana 750 Traded 04/08
        2008 Concours 14
        www.myspace.com/nc_kat750

Comment

oh and will the magnets ruin my LP? how strong are they?
          Tony
          94 Katana 600

Comment

Magnetic tang bag is only easy to steal if you leave it on the bike. I have a Nelson Rigg bag and just take it with me. For some added protection, I wrap the carry straps around the neck of the frame. Works fine. When I park the bike, pop off the bag, sling it on your back, and go. I put my wife's laptop in it and didn't have any problems, but it was only for a few minutes, so I don't know what any length of time might do.
            Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
            -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
            -Terence

Comment

I know there are seat bags that have shoulder straps, prob. tank bags, too. I suspect it is a myth that tank bags magnets damage PDA's, phones, laptops, etc., I have had no problems. If you have a metal tank, I find tank bags easy to put on and take off, hardly slow me down when fueling. I have three- one magnetic and two that strap on (Sprint ST has a plastic tank.) Only drawback is the bigger ones can get in the way a bit.
              "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

What about some kind of locking top case? like a Givii?
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  +1 it will protect your valuables in the case of rain where the textile tank bags won't. It is never in your way, easy to remove and carry with you (depending on model) and stores a ton of stuff.
                  R.I.P. Marc

Comment

There is this:

newenoughhp.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, newenoughhp.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                    2005 750 Katana
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brooder View Post
                      Magnetic tang bag is only easy to steal if you leave it on the bike. I have a Nelson Rigg bag and just take it with me. For some added protection, I wrap the carry straps around the neck of the frame. Works fine. When I park the bike, pop off the bag, sling it on your back, and go. I put my wife's laptop in it and didn't have any problems, but it was only for a few minutes, so I don't know what any length of time might do.

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
                      I know there are seat bags that have shoulder straps, prob. tank bags, too. I suspect it is a myth that tank bags magnets damage PDA's, phones, laptops, etc., I have had no problems. If you have a metal tank, I find tank bags easy to put on and take off, hardly slow me down when fueling. I have three- one magnetic and two that strap on (Sprint ST has a plastic tank.) Only drawback is the bigger ones can get in the way a bit.
                      ok ill buy a magnetic one and see if it fries my lp ... and hopefully you guys are right...(i want a new laptop anyways)

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      givii is more exspensive then the bike!
                      Tony
                      94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                        yeah sounds like a cool idea.... any one heard of a good brand?
                        The Icon Urban tank bag converts to a book bag, actually looks like one too. Here's a video review

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/icon-urban-tank-bag/Sportbike Track Gear is the #1 online eCommerce site for protective motorcycle apparel and performance ...

Comment

I have a magnetic Cortec bag. I like it.
                          How big is your tankbag if you can fit a laptop in it??

Comment

there are little loops on the frame of my bike (Pre-98, just forward of the cross-member i think) that i use to strap my tank bag to since it doesn't have a good magnet. i've locked all kinds of stuff to those loops, actually...

most of the time my backpacks are most comfortable and easy to deal with. but a tank bag is the best for road trips or anywhere you need a phone/map easily
                            1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Try some MOLLE or ALICE packs:

CLICKY!!
                              Originally posted by Nero
                              "Be the ball, Danny. Be the ball."
                              SUPPORT YOUR FORUM: Buy a KR decal!

MY 2001 600 KATANA - Sold... But never forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                              X