X

One problem after another

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One problem after another

Hi, I was having trouble with my bike clutch cable broke got it fixed, should have the fuel petcock rebuilt tonight. Before I took the tank off I started it and let it run and adjusted the Idle and warming up.
    For about a minute it ran than Idle went lower and lower and finally just killed, not won't start with choke or without choke.
    Any Ideas I would like to get the bike running tomorrow haven't been able to ride it in 2 weeks.
    thanks

Well, if you had the tank off (and/or the vacuum line to the petcock disconnected), it probably run out of fuel at the carbs... Try switching the petcock to PRI (prime) for 60 seconds to refill the carbs, then switch back to ON, then try restarting.

If that's not it, my next suspicion would be water in the tank went into the carbs -- or other contamination. Drain the carb float bowls into a glass jar and take a look at what you get -- water, debris, or clean fuel?

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hi, rebuilt the petcock still wont start, now gas leaks out of the petcock when it is on res and runs out on pri. It's suppose to run on Pri I think But what about res.
      Did I mess something up when rebuilding?
      Is fuel suppose to come out of both tubes on the diaphram or just the one on the left?
      Any help would be appreciated
      thanks

Comment

Sounds like you messed something up in the rebuild -- it shouldn't leak at all in ON or RES (and only through the gas tube outlet[s] on PRI). Did you maybe hook the hoses back to it wrong (vacuum to the fuel port, fuel to the vacuum line)?

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hi, well I got the petcock problem fixed, was idling good.t the problem it won't rev about 3,000 I went to ride it rev it up it chugged and then killed.
          now it will barely start and won't idle.
          Touched the exhaust headers and the two on the left were hot, but the two on the right were slightly warm. After it dies it will back fire out of the right exhaust pipe.
          Any Ideas?
          thanks
          the plug wires are on tight.

Comment

Update: I put gas in each cylinder and put plugs back in and it fired up for a couple seconds.
            Then put the tank on and hooked up the fuel lines and tried starting it and it wouldn't.
            It looked like the fuel isn't flowing into the carbs through the hose, it just fills up like something is blocking the gas from going into the carbs.
            Does just one fuel hose give gas to all four cylinders?
            Could something block the flow of fule into the carbs?
            thanks

Comment

yeah, try new fuel hoses, do you have inline fule filters?

Comment

On a 94 petcock, there should be two fuel line hoses to the carbs plus one vacuum hose.

Try switching the petcock to PRIME and see if the fuel-delivery issue goes away.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hi, I don't have inline fuel filters, I will try to fuel hose this weekend when I have time to do that you have to take the air box off?
                  thanks

Comment

More than likely you will have to take the airbox off. There is a clamp on the bottom of the hose that you have to take loose in order to get the hose off. Cyber is right. There are 2 fuel lines on the pre98 tanks. One goes to carbs 1&2 and one to 3&4 then one small vent hose over to the right side of the carbs. I can take a picture of it when I get home tonight since I have mine tore down again.
                    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

not all pre 98's have two lines from the petcock, 88-89 600' only have one fuel line off the petcock then it goes into a T into 2 hose at the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
                        not all pre 98's have two lines from the petcock, 88-89 600' only have one fuel line off the petcock then it goes into a T into 2 hose at the carbs.
                        My bad for not being more specific.
                        HIS 94 750 should have two fuel line hoses...

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hi, when the bike is running fuel should be flowing through both hoses right?
                          The one that leads to cylinder 1and2 when you disconnect it from the tank the line will fill with gas but wont' go anywhere and 3and4 never really noticed if gas was in that line.
                          Tomorrow night I will pull the airbox and check where the hoses go and see if there plugged somewhere.
                          Hopefully I find the problem so I can get the damn thing fixed 3 weeks since I last rode it.

Comment

Hi, I have the airbox off and am going to pull the carbs tomorrow and clean them.
                            Just a quick question how do you remove the throttle cable and choke cable from the carbs?
                            thanks

Comment

Unbolt the single throttle cable (pre-98's) at the throttle end, then remove it at the carb end. I find it's easiest to do by using a pair of forceps at the carb end to reach in and grab the wire (to let you rotate the weighted end to the place it needs to be to slide sideways). You can typically score such 6-10" forceps (also called hemeostats) for a buck at most flea markets, or for a couple bucks + postage via ebay.

Here's a set of a dozen of them for $10:
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270166087083

And here's a perfect candidate (8" curved):
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280153251139

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X