Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spark plug diffrence

I might have a stupid question but...

I took the plugs out of my 96 kat 600 they were NGK CR9E's
    I looked at the Haynes mannual and it specifies NGK CR9EK which is a multi ground plug. Is there a diffrence between these plugs? Performance set aside. Will the bike run alot diffrently?
    1996 Katana - Sold
    2000 YZF600R - Killed by little old lady
    2006 Tacoma - Faster then the lawn mower

Fish are safer then senior citizens : )

Well , alot of people think "a spark is a spark" . But others would argue that the manual is what you should ALWAYS go by . Me ? I'd get what the book calls for . Plugs ain't that pricey anyway , so might as well have the proper ones .
    Now . I HAVE used a variety of plugs , and haven't noticed a TON of difference . But MY bike is ..... odd anyway .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Difference between a CR9E and a CR9EK is how many fingers (ground electrodes) come up from the side of the plug to hover over the center terminal -- the K version has two fingers, while the other has only one. Aside from that, the plugs are functionally equivilent. The two terminals should give you longer wear life and a lower chance of fouling, but isn't critical.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ok sounds good but the CR9E is not reccomended for the 1996 for some reason, its the CR9EK and the Irridium one. Would there be a diffrence between the single electrode irridum vs the regular?
        1996 Katana - Sold
        2000 YZF600R - Killed by little old lady
        2006 Tacoma - Faster then the lawn mower

Fish are safer then senior citizens : )

Comment

The dual electrode and the irridium both handle fouling better, which means higher reliability, especially if you are in a cold weather location where you're running the choke heavily to get her started.
          The dual electrode handles it better because of the larger number of potential ground paths, the irridium handles it better because it gets to burn-off-temp faster and has a slightly larger range of burn-off temps.

As long as you aren't have an issue with the plugs, keep 'em; when it's time to replace them for whatever reason, get the right thing.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X