X

Siwtching 600 head for 750 head

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siwtching 600 head for 750 head

I have a 1995 Kat 600 and was wondering if anyone, which I am sure they have, has switched the 600 head and replaced it with a 750 head from the same model. If so, was it difficult and did it bolt right up without any issues. What do i need to look at getting to do this, how difficult was it and what are the pitfalls to look for when doing it. Any help would be appreciated.

jeff

Why would you want to switch heads? Is your current head damaged?
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

WHY?

it will bolt up but wont be very durable because the combustion chamber sizes are different. a 600 gasket will be to small for the 750 head. a 750 gasket will be to big for the 600 cylinders. its going to leak eventually
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I think he is trying to cheaply build himself a 750 without buying a completely different engine
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Switching out 750

Actually, I have an issue with exhaust studs that will not come out. I have tried absolutely everything (heat, welded nuts, penetrating oil, etc.) You name it, I have tried it so no need to give me more ideas to get them out. They won't. The only way they are coming out is to drill them out on the bike or remove the head and get them out. If I have to remove the head, I was just wondeirng about putting a 750 head on it for a littl emore power. If there are issues, then I will just stick with my exisitng head. I was just curious and any help on removing the head other than what the manual says would be nice as i have not done something like this before.

Jeff

Comment

swap the cam shafts then, not the head.

The head is fairly straight foward to remove. May require gentle persuasion with a rubber mallet.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

unbolt the head and bump the engine over. the compression will pop the head loose with no issues. then remove the timing chain.
              89 gs500e, k&n air filter, sv650 rear wheel swap, gsxr rear shock, 06 tank and bodywork, sv650 tail swap,

93 kat 750 v&h ssr2 full exhaust, 99 katana front wheel, a 180/55 on stock rim, post controls, heated grips

Comment

Working...
              X