What can I get from my 06 suspension

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I get from my 06 suspension

Looking for some advice on adjusting my 06kat 600 suspension

I am looking for some dudes that have messed with there stock suspension settings. It would help the test and tune. I generally ride one up with some gsxr600's and I would like to tweak the suspension to try to get as much out of it as possible. By the way I am 6'4" 235lbs. I have the bike set at stock and wounder if I should change. Thanks for you help.
    Last edited by ssmiller1968; 12-30-2009, 11:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hange on" Franklin D. Roosevelt

sigpic

Search for any post that T-Mod posted in he's the man when it comes to suspensions
    02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
    90 GSXR 750/1216
    96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
    87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
    sigpic

Comment

heavier fork springs, and a rebuilt/revalved 750 shock would be a good start...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

The stock suspension on a 600 doesn't offer much adjust-ability. At 235lbs... you are probably "over" what the springs on the bike were desinged to handle.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

1. revalved rebound/compression damping and threaded preload adjustable 98-06 750 shock, with corresponding spring for your weight, so you can adjust the sag properly, cost is parts dependent. Check Ebay for the shock, check Tmod for the spring.

2. Racetech upgraded fork springs for your weight, with sag adjusted with proper length spring preload spacers. springs are about $100 shipped. Spacers are PVC cut to the right length.

thats probably the best and cheapest upgrades to your suspension.

See My Garage for mods...
          T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
          Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Ok first off are you on the carrier? If you are or have been in the service thank you for serving!!

Ok now to the question at hand, As stated there is not much that can be done with the stock 600 shocks or the front forks without changing a few things. The stock spring on the rear shock is very weak for anyone with any weight on them. To give you a idea of how far off they actually are for us heavier people the stock 750 comes with a 10.6 kg/mm (600 in/lb) and for me at 210 lbs I need right around a 17.9 kg/mm (1000 in/lb) spring. As you can see that is quite a difference in spring rate. Also as stated the stock rear shock on your bike has only rebound adjustments and they are stiff the way they come even for a higher rated spring. So what would be my recommendation, As a few have stated as well get a post 750 shock and get it revalved and get the right spring for it. I have shocks here and also all the valving and springs for the shock.

Now as far as the front end, That is in just as bad condition for a heavier person, My recommendations are inline with everyone else's, Get yourself a set of 1.0 fork springs and change the oil, Also if you have some spare bucks get the Racetech emulators as they allow more tune-ability.

These changes will make the kat handle much better assuming you have decent tires to begin with.

Advantage of the post 750 kat shock, It will fit without mods and it has the threaded preload collar, rebound adjustment and compression adjustment. If you are interested in any of this send me a PM as I have most of this stuff sitting here and I will beat anyone's price on RT parts.

Tmod

Comment

thanks for the help

First I spent 45 days on the Kitty Hawk with most of it under the #3 wire working for Fifth Fleet. Other than that I served onboard the Uss Chancellorsville (CG-62). It was a great time glad I did it. Second I was more or less looking for tips on the adjustment of the stock suspension. From what everyone is telling me it seems like some aftermarket parts to really make the thing handle well. I am looking at this bike as a transition bike to learn on. I am hoaping to move up to a GSXR 750 when the money comes avaliable. I guess it comes down to how much I am willing to put into the bike to make it handle really well and can that be done relatively cheepely. Thank you for all your post.
              "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hange on" Franklin D. Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Ok my suggestion would then be to get fork springs and the correct spring for the shock and forget all the valving stuff. Now if you still don't want to go that far crank the preload on the rear all the way up and set the rebound at #2. On the forks make some spacers to add more preload to the fork spring but IMO this is a half azz way of doing something correctly, But it is a option. Set the rebound on the front on #1.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                  Ok first off are you on the carrier? If you are or have been in the service thank you for serving!!

Ok now to the question at hand, As stated there is not much that can be done with the stock 600 shocks or the front forks without changing a few things. The stock spring on the rear shock is very weak for anyone with any weight on them. To give you a idea of how far off they actually are for us heavier people the stock 750 comes with a 10.6 kg/mm (600 in/lb) and for me at 210 lbs I need right around a 17.9 kg/mm (1000 in/lb) spring. As you can see that is quite a difference in spring rate. Also as stated the stock rear shock on your bike has only rebound adjustments and they are stiff the way they come even for a higher rated spring. So what would be my recommendation, As a few have stated as well get a post 750 shock and get it revalved and get the right spring for it. I have shocks here and also all the valving and springs for the shock.

Now as far as the front end, That is in just as bad condition for a heavier person, My recommendations are inline with everyone else's, Get yourself a set of 1.0 fork springs and change the oil, Also if you have some spare bucks get the Racetech emulators as they allow more tune-ability.

These changes will make the kat handle much better assuming you have decent tires to begin with.

Advantage of the post 750 kat shock, It will fit without mods and it has the threaded preload collar, rebound adjustment and compression adjustment. If you are interested in any of this send me a PM as I have most of this stuff sitting here and I will beat anyone's price on RT parts.

Tmod
                  Not to hi jack the thread but would the post 750 shock work on a pre 750?, and from what I can tell it looks like the post 750 shocks have a remote resivor. where could I mount that?
                  After reading this thread and since the forks are apart right now and the swing arms out. I'm thinking about getting RT fork springs, a post 750 shock and matching RT spring. As a simple upgrade. I've swapped out the springs on my dirt bikes in the past since there set up for about a 170lbs person, and I'm about 225lbs, and it made a huge diffrence
                  Richard
                  96 Suzuki GSX750F
                  89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
                  05 Yamaha WR450F
                  05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ep87 View Post
                    Not to hi jack the thread but would the post 750 shock work on a pre 750?, and from what I can tell it looks like the post 750 shocks have a remote resivor. where could I mount that?
                    After reading this thread and since the forks are apart right now and the swing arms out. I'm thinking about getting RT fork springs, a post 750 shock and matching RT spring. As a simple upgrade. I've swapped out the springs on my dirt bikes in the past since there set up for about a 170lbs person, and I'm about 225lbs, and it made a huge diffrence
                    Richard
                    Yes it will fit but it is a bit shorter than the stock pre shock, It would lower the rear about 1/2~3/4" depending on what you set the sag to. The R6 shock is the same c to c as the post 750 shock so that is no different but it does have better adjustments for the rebound & comp. You could clamp the post 750 reservoir almost anywhere if you really wanted that shock. IMO though you would be better off with the 08~09 R6 shock and get a spring for that. As far as RT parts just let me know what ya need and I can get it cheaper than others can.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by ssmiller1968 View Post
                      Looking for some advice on adjusting my 06kat 600 suspension

I am looking for some dudes that have messed with there stock suspension settings. It would help the test and tune. I generally ride one up with some gsxr600's and I would like to tweak the suspension to try to get as much out of it as possible. By the way I am 6'4" 235lbs. I have the bike set at stock and wounder if I should change. Thanks for you help.
                      On the local, maybe U.S.S. may help? when I clicked on the link I got this.

Decorated in traditional English country house style with banquette seating, heavy curtains and gilded mirrors, The Enterprise is charming and homely. It's informality is its drawing power and it attracts a very fashionable and up-scale client base, described as 'the only pub in town for ladies who lunch.'

The cosy, quirky ambience, friendly service and welcoming atmosphere keeps the regulars coming back, creating a great local feel.

The modern British restaurant menu is fresh and imaginative with daily changing specials and the lively bar is always bustling.

Reservations taken for weekday lunches only
                      Tel : 020 7584 3148

Comment

Yes it will fit but it is a bit shorter than the stock pre shock, It would lower the rear about 1/2~3/4" depending on what you set the sag to. The R6 shock is the same c to c as the post 750 shock so that is no different but it does have better adjustments for the rebound & comp. You could clamp the post 750 reservoir almost anywhere if you really wanted that shock. IMO though you would be better off with the 08~09 R6 shock and get a spring for that. As far as RT parts just let me know what ya need and I can get it cheaper than others can.

Tmod
                        Well I checked E-bay and there we're plenty of cheap 08-09 r6 shocks for sale. The race tech site said the stock spring rate was pretty close to what I need, and I'm sure it would be a vast improvement over the stock pre 750 shock. So I think I'll buy a r6 shock leave the stock spring in it for now see if I can set the sage some we're close to what I need. And see how much you can get the RT 1.0kg front springs for, but I'll send you a pm about that. Should be a cheap upgrade for now.
                        Thanks Richard
                        96 Suzuki GSX750F
                        05 Yamaha WR450F
                        05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ep87 View Post
                          Well I checked E-bay and there we're plenty of cheap 08-09 r6 shocks for sale. The race tech site said the stock spring rate was pretty close to what I need, and I'm sure it would be a vast improvement over the stock pre 750 shock. So I think I'll buy a r6 shock leave the stock spring in it for now see if I can set the sage some we're close to what I need. And see how much you can get the RT 1.0kg front springs for, but I'll send you a pm about that. Should be a cheap upgrade for now.
                          Thanks Richard
                          Replied to your PM.

Tmod

Comment

Thanks for serving ! Looks like Tmod has you fixed right up.

Comment

Replied to your PM.

Tmod

Tmod PM you back re: r6 shock and springs, hope you got it the site acted a little funny when I pushed send.
                              Richard
                              96 Suzuki GSX750F
                              05 Yamaha WR450F
                              05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X