X

10W-40 vs 20W-50

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
    10w50? I can honestly say I've never seen that before...
    Here's a 10W50

Penrite Oil is a 100% Australian Owned company producing a premium range of vehicle and industrial lubricants, coolants, gear oils, hydraulic fluids and additives. Discover why Penrite is a Better Class of Oil.

and here's something even better!

Penrite Oil is a 100% Australian Owned company producing a premium range of vehicle and industrial lubricants, coolants, gear oils, hydraulic fluids and additives. Discover why Penrite is a Better Class of Oil.

or this

or to really blow you away (Penrite is good stuff) you might like:

or

Last edited by TRPUT; 09-10-2011, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
      5°C is pretty cold..... I would guess at those temps you'd be better off with something thinner.
      yeah that was what I was afraid of.

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
      As long as you are in viscosity range (10/40 or 10/50) the more important factors are the less advertised sheer and pressure ratings of an oil. There is a greater chance that a true JASO synthetic oil will provide correspondingly higher sheer and pressure protection than a dino oil due to the quality of the base and additive package, but not necessarily. Higher viscosity alone does not necessarily equal higher protection.

agreed. I didnt think the higher viscosity was any better for my use. It was just that I got a good price for this particular oil so I thought maybe I could use it.
      The castrol fully synthetic power 1 oil is pretty good quality oil. I saw a VOA once and it was way up there with the motul 300v. but not as much moly as the motul.

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
      10w50? I can honestly say I've never seen that before...
      Ive seen it from several producers.

this is the one I was looking at.

conclusion: I stayed away from it
      Last edited by mammut89; 09-10-2011, 02:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

If you live in a warmer year round state 20/50 is fine, but ive always felt like it made it sluggish. thats just me. If you live in canada, alaska, that oil would get so thick in the cold it might not even start. Like someone said, moving parts, takes more work to move em. 10/40 or even 5/40 for you guys most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
          yeah that was what I was afraid of.

agreed. I didnt think the higher viscosity was any better for my use. It was just that I got a good price for this particular oil so I thought maybe I could use it.
          The castrol fully synthetic power 1 oil is pretty good quality oil. I saw a VOA once and it was way up there with the motul 300v. but not as much moly as the motul.

Ive seen it from several producers.

this is the one I was looking at.

conclusion: I stayed away from it
          Hey, don't just listen to me. I run 5-40 when it gets cold out, but that doesn't mean that a really good 10-50 couldn't do as well. I just feel better running something thinner when it's cold (say, 45°F or under).
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Living in mesa Az where it is very hot in the summer and perfect the rest of the year I choose weights accordingly. During summer months I will run a 20w50 and during the winter I will run a 15w40.

Comment

I used to change oil seasonally too in all my engines with the appropriate shift in viscosity range to match ambient temp. But now that I run premium quality oil with a much longer service interval, that would be a waste. So it's just 10W40 all year 'round. It will be changed before my long tour soon, and I'll report back with the post-tour oil analysis.

Comment

Working...
              X