X

how much do you use your rear brake?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much do you use your rear brake?

it has always been a debate on the aspect of rear braking. it is common knowledge that many fear it and front only is needed.

as for myself, I always thought of myself as someone who really relies on it....as in, if it wan't there, I would miss it like hell, yet still be able to stop the bike with no problem. I use it alot....especially in "slow as a snail" manouvers and heavy traffic.

so anyway....back to my question. if you have had your bike long enough, and use it alot, how do your front pads wear in comparison to the rear pads?
    I changed my pads 3 yrs ago when I bought the bike, so I started with a fresh set all around. I just did a good check on my pads....and both sets need to be changed out again and have equal wear....which means for the most part, my braking is 50/50 front/rear. what isn't used by the rear on rolling stops gets used in my slow speed use.

I am just curious cuz I have seen many bikes where the front pads are wore down,. but the back ones are barely used.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

only time I touch my rear brakes is during slow speed stuff (parking lot) and emergency stops. So not really that much.

I bought a swingarm assembly off ebay over the winter that came with the rear braking assembly and a set of pads that look brand new. Figure i'll hang on to the pads. between the ones that are on there right now, and the newer set I should be covered for the next 20 yrs

Comment

I use it pretty extensivly below 40mph..
      I use it crusing up to a stop,
      (so I can use both hands to light a smoke!)
      Kinda eases up the hand use.
      I'm already clutching and blipping as I downshift.
      As far as what proportion front /back?
      I'll guess my wear is 70/30 but for all I know
      my rear pads are orgional..

Comment

wow...20 yrs! and even 70-30!
        it almost makes me feel like I am using the rear TOO much. I don't feel like I am, but I do rely on it.
        I am not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing. I have been riding about 25 yrs os so, and maybe half of it I was riding with the belief that the rear brake was trouble and be careful with it. since I squashed that belief, I a have been blowing through rear pads as often as front ones.

But also, I am wondering if the fact that I carry a passenger quite regularly...as well as loading up the bike with my 3 givi hardcases and such. maybe the riding with added weight on a reg basis plays in the wear of my rear pads.

Comment

I've got the original pads on mine and just had them inspected while in for service.
          My servicer said that the rear was slightly more worn than the front but, said that was to be expected. Most experienced riders will use both brakes all of the time and may not even be aware of it. I know that I use my rear pretty much equally to the front, and even drag it a bit more, through the corners and such.
          Anyway, he also said that, due to the rotor on the rear being smaller it is likely that you'd be appling more pressure to the rear to get a noticeable effect. That would likely cause more wear to the rear pads.
          Thats just me though! I haven't quite figured out how to get my 500lbs bike to "Back Through" the corners like them GP guys.

Back to you Mojoe.
          "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Originally posted by BobKat2002
            Back to you Mojoe.
            lmao

well it seems we have the same braking style. i was just curious how my style compared with that of other riders. it's not a question of "right way/wrong way"....just curiosity.

Comment

80-20 at the most, the previous owner of my bike had it disconnected
              Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

Comment

A little more than the front because I sometimes use it to slow down when some one is in front of me making a turn.
                here's some southerly advice that may come in handy down the road a piece... Next time you are too drunk to drive, walk to the nearest pizza shop and place a delivery order. When they go to deliver it, catch a ride home with them.
                http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/dragkota98/

Comment

I thought I used them equally, but apparently I've worn the back ones out, cuz they need to be replaced!!! I usually downshift to try and save on the braking all together.
                  Biker chicks know how to ride.....

Comment

i use mine ALOT...

mainly because being up on one requires it....

but yea i still use it alot... usually before i come into a really tight turn when i was going way to fast
                    Woody
                    http://www.nationalcyclesupply.net
                    http://www.ncsupply.com

Comment

I would say my braking is 80 rear/ 20 front.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

It depends on whether I'm stopping or slowing down... I tend to use the rear heavily during maneuvering and the fronts heavily during stoping. Since I maneuver more than I stop, my rears tend to see a bit more use.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                          wow...20 yrs! and even 70-30!

what??

I laid a big darky on the way home today..
                          About 6 ft long.. Just to make sure I still had a feel for it..

Comment

I use it pretty frequently.
                            05 GSX-600
                            89 zx750r
                            04 Honda TRX-450

Comment

I use my rear on straight line stops with the front equally,never really at all by itself.front most of the time.2nd set on the front the rear still has the origional pads and the bike has 30000 onit.

Comment

Working...
                              X