X

Normal idle on start, high idle on stops

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal idle on start, high idle on stops

So I got a problem, not sure if it's normal and I don't believe this is normal but when I start the bike after choking it for like 10 seconds on cold start, it runs and idles fine at like 800rpm... after I go riding every time I stop at the stop signs or stop lights the bike idles at ~2200... what could be the problem? Running too lean and getting hot? Not cooling down enough? some other idle issue I don't know about?
    1993 GSX750 Katana

sounds just like the problem I'm currently havng... I idle at 1300rpms (normal) but when I come to stops it hangs at 3k rpms. I was told that this is due probably to a gumed up idle jet on the carbs. Probably have gunk in the float bowls too.
    Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

i also have the same problem. I've just adjusted the idle screw at stop signs as the bike warms up.

Comment

I had that problem. I cleaned the carbs really well and it went away. Now i just use Sea foam every moth or so and it's fine. Clean those idle jets. If you don't, you could overheat at long stops sooner and definitely look like you can't shift.

Comment

Well I just bought a set of newly cleaned carbs from a felllow Katrider, so when they arrive next week I'll get them in and hope the issue is gone!
          Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

let me know if it was the carbs issue
            1993 GSX750 Katana

Comment

I would definately assume so... probably sticky float
              Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

well the crappy weather is coming and it's coming fast so soon I'll store my bike and end up tearing down the carbs for a rebuild/complete clean up
                1993 GSX750 Katana

Comment

Cool... let me know how it goes.
                  Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

ALWAYS set the idle when HOT after a 10 minute ride, not just sitting idling for a while.

a hanging idle can be as simple as your idle speed set to high,

Dont worry about idle speed when the engine is not up to normal operating temp. if your bike idles at 800+ rpm when cold the idle is likely too high. If the idle is hanging back it off to around 1100-1200 rpm after it is hot.
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I just cleaned my carbs a few weeks ago and this happens to me. What I do is slightly release the clutch until the RPM's drops, than i reengage the clutch. I will check my idle screw as well.
                      sigpic
                      http://eternal-mc.com
                      http://eternalmc.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                        ALWAYS set the idle when HOT after a 10 minute ride, not just sitting idling for a while.

a hanging idle can be as simple as your idle speed set to high,

Dont worry about idle speed when the engine is not up to normal operating temp. if your bike idles at 800+ rpm when cold the idle is likely too high. If the idle is hanging back it off to around 1100-1200 rpm after it is hot.

You know... I never thought about that..... So this poses 3 questions:

1. Which way do you need to turn the idle screw to lower the RPM's? I'd assume left loosens it, which I'd think makes it rev higher?

2. Since it takes a while for the bike to warm up when Its cold out, can you keep the choke engaged a little while you first start riding it to keep it from stalling out?

3. When I ride the bike around, it seems like shifting between first and second is a little harsh.... it kinda "clunck's" into 2nd from first, and vica versa.... is this common, or should it be super smooth like it is from 2nd to third and so on? If so, what may be causing this? Do you think a good oil change might help fix this problem (if it is one?)?
                        Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

you and me are in the SAME boat lol. Exactly the same
                          sigpic
                          http://eternal-mc.com
                          http://eternalmc.freeforums.org

Comment

1st to 2nd is a hard shift because it's a much longer throw than any other gears. Normal for a sequential manual, I mean unless it's really bad.
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                              1st to 2nd is a hard shift because it's a much longer throw than any other gears. Normal for a sequential manual, I mean unless it's really bad.

So a sort of clunk feeling is normal then for 1st to 2nd....? Like it is kinda a roughish feeling, not smooth like for the rest of the gears Doesnt matter whether it is on an upshift or downshift, its still the same feeling. I'm going to do an oil change on the bike, is there any brand of oil filter/ oil that is recommended/preferred?

I also was wondering... the battery on the bike, do I use a 12v trickle charger on it like I use on my Car battery? Or do I need to use a 6v charge? Cause the bike only gets ridden right now once a week/ every 2 weeks for about 40min... and I'm sure that can't be enough to keep it charged. I popped it on my 6v trickle charger and it gives the green "charged" light, but that can't be right....

One last question I just thought of... I just washed the bike off this past weekend, and when I finished I wiped the chain with a clean rag to remove the dirt and grease, well I don't have any motorcycle chain lube, but I do have the teflon white lightning chain lube for my mountain bike chain... is this ok to use?
                              Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

Working...
                              X