? on a bike im looking at 95 katana 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? on a bike im looking at 95 katana 600

hi,

i am looking into my first bike now and found a 95 katana 600 with 4k miles on it. The guy is looking 3k asking for it and i was wondering about how much is it worth?

I havent seen it or know what or if there is a title and what kind of title it is.

I was just wondering if it means that the bike has had motor work or not and if it is worth it cuz i am looking for a nice starter bike and could probably get this one for 2500 probably.

I'm assuming that's US dollars?

It all depends on the condition of the bike and how much it will take to safety. The title is the ownership.It's required to get the bike transfered into your name.

take a look at the bike and get back to us.

For sure the Katana is the all round best starter bike with great potential for upgrades. Just take a look around this site and you'll be convinced.

cheers and good luck

Buc
    it's my opinion......that's what makes it mine..

Toronto Canada that is

Comment

Its hard to make any predictions until u see the bike and start it up. Post up some pics if u can.

Comment

Wow, there are a lot of things to consider. It's a VERY low mileage bike, but on the downside, could have sat for a very long time....and thus gunkage in the carbs, tank, and possibly engine.

Go look at it. For that price the body work has to be pristine. Tell them to start it up and listen to how well it starts up (my 93 with 14,000 miles starts up like a charm)

I wouldn't even pay close to 3K though....offer 2100 or so then go from there.

Comment

your in kankakee right? i'm in chicago (north side - lincoln park area) pm me and give me a # where i can contact you or i'll give ya my cell # and i'd be happy to check the bike out with you. is the bike around there? let me know
          PAUL
          93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Comment

Originally posted by seqx34
            your in kankakee right? i'm in chicago (north side - lincoln park area) pm me and give me a # where i can contact you or i'll give ya my cell # and i'd be happy to check the bike out with you. is the bike around there? let me know

Go Get'em!!!!!!
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

If its been sitting for most of those years, a good carb cleaning will probably be in order.

Comment

seqx34 yeah the bike is in bourbonnais where i live also.

I have to get ahold of the kid but that would be great if u could come down and help me and see what u think it is worth.

If u have aim u can get ahold of me at Jbodycavalier03 or pm me and ill give u my email.

i still have to talk to the kid to see when i can and he can meet.

Comment

The more eyes u have lookin at a pre owned bike the better. Good luck !

Comment

Caution:
                    If it runs, you'll probably need all of the following (budget for it and haggle it off the price):
                    New Tires & valve stems (tires are good for 5 years max; see imprint date on tire for date of manufacture);
                    New brake lines (brake lines need to be replaced every 4th year)
                    New brake fluid (every other year, or every year in high humidity locations)
                    New brake caliper seals (every 4th year, or whenever the pads get replaced, whichever comes first);
                    New oil, oil filter, valve adjustment;
                    New battery;
                    New spark plugs;
                    New air filter;
                    New fork oil seals, dust seals and fork oil.
                    You may also find it needs new valve cover gaskets (not uncommon on a bike that old that hasn't run), spark plug gaskets (ditto), chain (rust), sprockets (rust), gas tank rust removal & sealing, carb rebuild (including all new O-rings through-out).

Or you may find it's someone who actually did everything just right when he/she put it into storage, someone who drained the carbs, cleaned everything, maybe even changed the oil every year just to keep it "ready" and never got back to riding it... but people like that are rare.

KNOW THIS:
                    If it hasn't run in months (or years), before attempting to start it, pull off the tank, yank out the spark plugs, pour a tablespoon of oil down each spark plug hole, and with the plugs out, rotate the engine by placing the bike in gear and turning the rear wheel about a dozen times. Then reinstall the plugs, tank, fresh fuel, jump the battery (or insert a replacement), and try.

General rule: a bike that does 5k a year is usually in better running shape than one that has sat for years on end without running.

PS - do not buy without riding. You may otherwise find that it has hidden defects after-the-fact (such as a failed 2nd gear). If you can arrange to take a member from KR with you, do so!

Good Luck!
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Check for rust in the tank too!
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...