Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Removing Front Sprocket without a chain?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Front Sprocket without a chain?

Yeah I'm an idiot...

So I'm back at my 750 swap HERE

And like an idiot...I tore down the 01 750 bike, removed the engine etc...without breaking loose the front sprocket.

Well I got the sprocket off the 600 engine just fine (chain tightened, holding down rear brake while breaking loose the sprocket nut...)

But I'm swapping the 600 sprocket onto the 750. And since I haven't been able to work the chain onto the 750's sprocket (should have done it as I was lifting the engine in...oh well) I'm trying to somehow hold the sprocket and break loose the nut...

Any ideas? I got the hex bolt out...

Impact would be your best bet here....

You can try and wedge a prybar between the case and the sprocket teeth, but then you risk damaging the case.

Or maybe you can find a junkyard in the area that has an old chain lying around?
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

they make a sprocket holder JUST for this type of thing.

If you do try to use an impact without holding it, it will just spin it hella fast.

Comment

Well I didn't want to break the impact out, cause the kid is sleeping.

I'll try tomorrow after work with the impact and using something hold down on it to wedge it....we'll see if that works. If not I'm thinking my buddy might have a set of channel locks big enough to help me hold it while I use a breaker bar / impact to break it loose.

Thanks for the input

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          they make a sprocket holder JUST for this type of thing.

If you do try to use an impact without holding it, it will just spin it hella fast.
          I got one... works great

Comment

Impact on the sprocket side, wrench on the timing side, AND try and wedge it.

Yeah, I'm aware the timing side will try and unscrew itself. Just trying to add some extra drag, perhaps the sprocket will spin off first, esp. if using an impact.

I've also used some soft rope coiled into the chamber, after pulling a plug.
            93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

Originally posted by Steveb View Post
              Impact on the sprocket side, wrench on the timing side, AND try and wedge it.

Yeah, I'm aware the timing side will try and unscrew itself. Just trying to add some extra drag, perhaps the sprocket will spin off first, esp. if using an impact.

I've also used some soft rope coiled into the chamber, after pulling a plug.
              I was thinking that as well. (Holding / wedging a wrench on the 19mm nut on that side)

I "think" that I'll be able to use a jack handle or something (not using the sprocket, so don't care about scarring the teeth) to keep the sprocket still enough to just let the impact go at it...we'll see.

If not I'll call my thick-necked buddy and bribe him (read beer) to hold the sprocket while I try to break it loose...

Comment

I did that before. I used a pair of channel locks and a breaker bar to get it loose. Works better if you use the impact though.
                www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Well imagine that...got home after work, wedged one part of the sprocket with my jack handle and the impact knocked it right off...too easy. I made some progress tonight and updated my swap thread

Comment

NICE!

Impact is always a good solution!
                    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                    18v Rigid Drill
                    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

I agree

Comment

gotta love impacts. if something even looks like it might cause troubles i go for the impact right off. I've saved myself alot of time, hastle, and chewed up phillips head case screws by not even bothering to try to break them loose with a screwdriver first. just reach for the impact. next air toy will be a 3/8" drive butterfly impact to complement the 1/2" drive and hand impacts.
                        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I NEVER use an impact on phillips. That will strip them for sure. I DO use a hand held impact on phillips heads, then once they are out, I switch them with allen heads

Comment

I've used my cordless impact on the philips on the bar ends.

Pop-pop-pop-Zing!
                            93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                              I NEVER use an impact on phillips. I DO use a hand held impact on phillips heads
                              make up your mind, do you use an impact on a phillips or not?
                              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                              X