X

Kill switch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kill switch

Asked this in another forum, but am wondering what the opinions are here.

Totally random, mid-winter question of the day.

Was in a discussion a couple days ago and this came up to no real consensus.

Do you generally use your kill switch to shut the bike down? AKA switch it all the time at every start up or shut down?

- Or -

Does it stay in the run position all the time, until the bike falls over and you need a quick way to shut it down?

Thoughts?

(Yeah, a bit bored at work today....)

I shut down every time via the kill switch.

Comment

not a fan of the killswitch. key all the way here.
      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

I use the key. habbit.
        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Key here but, once off and parked then the kill switch.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

All situational for me...

If I am turning the bike off permanently (done with riding, parking to go into the store, so on...) I leave it in gear, put down the kick stand down (kills engine), then turn key off.

If I am temp wanting to kill the engine, I use the kill switch (too much noise to hear what is being said by other riders when we stop at an intersection, or other quick communication point with the expectation we are immediately going to be going on).

Working on the bike - expecting to start it right back up I would use the kill switch. Expecting it to be a while before I start it again I use the key.

Riding the bike and want to be an ass to those behind me for a personal giggle and cause a very loud and large fireball out the exhaust... kill switch only.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I only the kill if i'm switching off for a few seconds & always put it straight back to run i used it once 30 years ago when a shop had screwed up the carbs & i found the bike wouldnt shut down off the throttle at 120+mph apart from that its key all the way for me
              Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Riding the bike and want to be an ass to those behind me for a personal giggle and cause a very loud and large fireball out the exhaust... kill switch only.
                Have to ask....

Does this work for tailgaters too?

Comment

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post
                  Have to ask....

Does this work for tailgaters too?

I suppose that depends on how well it's done. I've had a few that witnesses described as "10 foot fire ball"... with a ring my own ears boom. Others are kind of like "phfft" and rather disappointing.

I personally have noticed that most drivers will tend to back off, but then my exhaust pipe is buzzy/annoying anyways with the SS system on it. Most riders don't even want to stay too close on my tail normally riding. And just down shifting a gear or two to bump the RPMs/noise but keeping the same speed for me can be a pretty large deterrent for tailgaters.

But this is rare for me. I generally go a touch faster than normal flow of traffic, so being tailgated at all is not common. Fast enough to be passing, but not fast enough to draw unwanted authority attention if you will.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I usually only hit the kill switch when stopping on an incline..feet down, hands holding clutch an front brake. And once in a while I use it just to make sure it works
                    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Working...
                    X