Any ADVICE ? 1127 engine to GSXR1100. gsxr750 engine to 1991 GSX1100F

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ADVICE ? 1127 engine to GSXR1100. gsxr750 engine to 1991 GSX1100F

1127 engine to GSXR1100. gsxr750 engine to 1991 GSX1100F

I am hoping that someone has some experience with fitting these engines in the other chassis. Maybe the engines and mounts are the same ?

Is the oil sump larger on the GSX than the GSXR ? I ask because I would rather use the existing Vance Hines stock SS2 on the 1100f engine in the GSXR.

But the exhaust I would like best is the original Dual mufflered system but I doubt if the Katana duals (which are in great shape) could be easily made to fit. I dont want to have my neighbours hate me so a quieter exhaust is a must. -- suggestions ?

Fraz

The 1127 engine is basically the same engine as the gsxr 1100 just has different cams and carbs ,should bolt straight in.I,m pretty sure the gsxr 750 would bolt straight into a gsx 1100 as its pretty much the same engine with smaller bores.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Comment

The GSXR1100 is an 1127 (year depending).
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

86-88 gsxr 1100 is 1052cc
        89-92 gsxr 1100 is 1127cc

All oil cooled bandit motors fit.
        86-92 gsxr750 motors fit, no gsxr600 motors fit.

All gsxf motors will fit including the gsxf1100 which is 1127cc (almost entirly the same motor as the 89-92 gsxr 1100.)
        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
        Tony
        94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by gwigs View Post
          The 1127 engine is basically the same engine as the gsxr 1100 just has different cams and carbs ,should bolt straight in.I,m pretty sure the gsxr 750 would bolt straight into a gsx 1100 as its pretty much the same engine with smaller bores.
          about the only thing the same between the 1127 and the 1000 is that they both have 4 cylinders and go "vroom vroom". the 1000 is liquid cooled....the 1127 oil cooled. nuff said.

as for the 750.....it has to be a pre 92 because in 92 it became liquid cooled as well.

you can make a liquid cooled fit into an oil/air cooled, I guess, if you want to screw around with it long enough, but why bother?

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
          86-88 gsxr 1100 is 1052cc
          89-92 gsxr 1100 is 1127cc

All oil cooled bandit motors fit.
          86-92 gsxr750 motors fit, no gsxr600 motors fit.

All gsxf motors will fit including the gsxf1100 which is 1127cc (almost entirly the same motor as the 89-92 gsxr 1100.)
          incorrect.....it is 86-91 for the gsxr750. the 92 is a liquid cooled 749cc.
          Last edited by Mojoe; 05-21-2012, 12:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
            about the only thing the same between the 1127 and the 1000 is that they both have 4 cylinders and go "vroom vroom". the 1000 is liquid cooled....the 1127 oil cooled. nuff said.

as for the 750.....it has to be a pre 92 because in 92 it became liquid cooled as well.

you can make a liquid cooled fit into an oil/air cooled, I guess, if you want to screw around with it long enough, but why bother?

First, he said 1100, not 1000 so not sure where that came from?

Second, USA model 1992 GSXR 750's WERE oil cooled. FYI, so it is possible to find one and use it as they will be out and about, even in Canada.

For the OP, as long as it's an oil cooled Suzuki GSX/GSXR motor, it'll bolt into an oil cooled GSX/GSXR frame.
            Last edited by 05RedKat600; 05-21-2012, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Mike, you know what I did the last time you said this? LEARNED FROM IT. In the US the 1992 GSXR 750 is oil cooled. In your snowy white Canadian paradise it's water cooled. NOT HERE. So where the OP is, Mike is correct, it's 86-91. You can't make a blanket statement that a 1992 is liquid cooled, because in the US, it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                First, he said 1100, not 1000 so not sure where that came from?

Second, USA model 1992 GSXR 750's WERE oil cooled. FYI, so it is possible to find one and use it as they will be out and about, even in Canada.

For the OP, as long as it's an oil cooled Suzuki GSX/GSXR motor, it'll bolt into an oil cooled GSX/GSXR frame.
                may bad on the 1000 confusion. I misread it. sh*t happens.

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                Mike, you know what I did the last time you said this? LEARNED FROM IT. In the US the 1992 GSXR 750 is oil cooled. In your snowy white Canadian paradise it's water cooled. NOT HERE. So where the OP is, Mike is correct, it's 86-91. You can't make a blanket statement that a 1992 is liquid cooled, because in the US, it's not.
                that is why I brought it up....the OP is from Canada, so I was giving him Canadian facts. The US didn't get a 92 version of the gsxr750....you basically got the left over 91's. sooo....USA excluded, the 92 IS liquid cooled. it wouldn't be the first time you yanks missed the boat at model change years because of your EPA or some other "technicality". so if we consider the fact that US 92's are really left over 91's, then yes, I can make a blanket statement that the 92's are liquid cooled. :
                Last edited by Mojoe; 05-21-2012, 10:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Thanks for engine swap info

I am now more confident that I can switch engines in 1 day -- important. But still unsure of oil lines -- are they swappable ?

Also sump on Kat has been said to be larger and will not clear the exhaust system of GSXR.

As I said I would rather use the dual exhaust system that was original with the GSXR 1100 in 1990 because its quieter but also apparently gives better breathing a low and mid range for more torgue !

I will take fotos of the sumps with their exhaust systems in place.

thx
                  frz

Comment

may bad on the 1000 confusion. I misread it. sh*t happens.

that is why I brought it up....the OP is from Canada, so I was giving him Canadian facts. The US didn't get a 92 version of the gsxr750....you basically got the left over 91's. sooo....USA excluded, the 92 IS liquid cooled. it wouldn't be the first time you yanks missed the boat at model change years because of your EPA or some other "technicality". so if we consider the fact that US 92's are really left over 91's, then yes, I can make a blanket statement that the 92's are liquid cooled. :
                    Or....you could....*gasp*...admit you were wrong for once and move on.

Comment

so let me get this straight. America was stuck with the 91 models during 92, while the rest of the free world received the new oil cooled engines, and I am supposed to admit to being wrong about the 92's being liquid cooled?

na, I will just stick with my original claim. :

I really have no problem admitting I was wrong, and have done so in the past.....but this just isn't one of those times.

Comment

The stock 4 into 2 exhaust is way heavy. I switched to a factory race exhaust and shaved close to 50 lbs off the bike. If I keep the revs low, in town, it is quiet enough to keep the neighbors happy. But on the open road, if you try and tailgate me, I can shift down and unleash holy decibals on the cager and they will back off!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhere View Post
                          The stock 4 into 2 exhaust is way heavy. I switched to a factory race exhaust and shaved close to 50 lbs off the bike. If I keep the revs low, in town, it is quiet enough to keep the neighbors happy. But on the open road, if you try and tailgate me, I can shift down and unleash holy decibals on the cager and they will back off!
                          1992- project katfighter
                          2005- GSXR750
                          2001- TL1000R
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

The whole 4 into 2 system doesn't even weight 25 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                              The whole 4 into 2 system doesn't even weight 25 lbs.
                              Which bike? I admit it was a long time ago I switched exhausts, but I swear it was way over that weight. I am talking about the GSX1100F.

Comment

Working...
                              X