X
X

tire sizes - what they mean

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a guy at the local shop try selling me a Conti motion 160/60/17.
    Would this be an ok tire for commuting? Its going to be about 95% straight line driving and only to and from work (about 10 miles one way)

I dont want to waste money on a nice twisty tire if I have no use for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat Floyd View Post
      Would this be an ok tire for commuting? Its going to be about 95% straight line driving and only to and from work (about 10 miles one way)

That would be ok for a commuter tire, no reason that I can think of not to get it.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kat Floyd View Post

Yes, the tire brand would be just fine.

The size is going to be a little rougher of a ride. For commuting, I'd suggest a 70 series at least. You would get a much smoother and more comfortable ride out of the tire that way.

The larger the side wall, the more vibration and small bumps the tire absorbs from the road with out transferring that to you.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks guys! for just a 10 mile trip one way I can deal with a little harsher ride.

Comment

Will the 120/70/17 Front & 150/70/17 Rear tire work on the pre 88 rims

Comment

No, too narrow. You can swap to 90-97 wheels, really easy.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

What tire size to use for these rims 92? Glad i never clicked confirm on that order...

Comment

I shouldn't of said no, I should of said what brand. Do some researching the front wheel width is 2.5" the rear is 3" you can use the 120/70/17 on the front, it calls for a 110/80/17 the rear calls for a 140/80/17, 150/70/17 is recommended. I have tried that fitment, it deforms the rear tire some. FYI, tires of a different brand, same width may fit a narrower 88-89 rear wheel, the pre kat standard is 3.5" on the rear. Although you may not have much of a choice in using that setup, 120/80 and 140/80 isn't a popular size and cal be difficult to find.
                  Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-29-2015, 03:43 PM.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                  X