Front Brake Master Cylinder?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Brake Master Cylinder?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a front brake master cylinder from an 89 or newer that will fit my 600 Kat. Zdeno's wants $100 for a used one, which doesn't seem right? Anywhere else you would suggest I check for parts?

I looked on eBay, but I'd rather go somewhere locally to pick one up.

Thanks in advance!
    Christine
    Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

sigpic

Instead of telling someone who rides a motorcycle how dangerous it is -- LOOK TWICE before switching lanes, making turns, or pulling out of a drive way. Stay on your side of the road, especially in corners. Don't FOLLOW too closely; bikes can stop faster than cars can. Keep your eyes on the road and off your cell phones. If you care about someone who rides a motorcycle, please repost

What's wrong with it?
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Nothing is wrong with the one that is on there, except that I ordered some aftermarket levers that could be adjusted closer for my reach, and the lever doesn't fit that side. I guess the master cylinder was different on the 88 than on the 89+, so I was kind of hoping I could just replace the part so my pretty new adjustable levers will both fit

This whole thing started because the clutch lever is really stiff, so in trying to rectify that and make it easier for me with levers I could reach better, we have now created a new problem. LOL
      Christine

sigpic

Instead of telling someone who rides a motorcycle how dangerous it is -- LOOK TWICE before switching lanes, making turns, or pulling out of a drive way. Stay on your side of the road, especially in corners. Don't FOLLOW too closely; bikes can stop faster than cars can. Keep your eyes on the road and off your cell phones. If you care about someone who rides a motorcycle, please repost

Comment

Worst case i have 1at off a 96. Needs a top and maybe a rebuild. You can have it for shipping.
        When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

not sure but would an old gixxer one work as well? just have to find a place to put the resevoir on the newer ones
          Last edited by blitz2190; 05-08-2012, 02:14 PM.
          never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
          Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
          confused katana build

Comment

Originally posted by cwalmsley View Post
            Nothing is wrong with the one that is on there, except that I ordered some aftermarket levers that could be adjusted closer for my reach, and the lever doesn't fit that side. I guess the master cylinder was different on the 88 than on the 89+, so I was kind of hoping I could just replace the part so my pretty new adjustable levers will both fit

This whole thing started because the clutch lever is really stiff, so in trying to rectify that and make it easier for me with levers I could reach better, we have now created a new problem. LOL

Pretty sure there isn't a difference, so the new master would not resolve the problem. The issue is the new lever... sorry to say. You shuld consider having it modified instead.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Thanks phantasm, I may take you up on that offer.

Kery, I also thought that the lever was the problem. Figured they had shipped me the wrong one, but looking at the exploded diagrams for the '89, the master cylinder and lever look way different than what is on my bike. Looks like my new lever would fit, it it was an '89. I'll try to post some pictures, if I get a chance. I guess the other possibility is that the PO changed it out at some point, but it looks stock.
              Christine

sigpic

Comment

Hey guys,
                Can anyone tell me if the front brake master cylinder from an '06 Kat will fit my bike, with '89+ style adjustable levers and an '88 brake set up?
                Thanks!
                Christine

sigpic

Comment

As posted in your other thread, same subject:
                  Shouldn't be any problem at all. Might want to go to SS braided lines while you've got the system open, too. I went with these: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92494, no problems with them at all and they're much less expensive than buying HEL or Russell.

Heck, might want to get with venturesomerite and see about converting to a hydraulic clutch while you're at it. Maybe you can just do a one-for-one parts swap and both be happy!
                  Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                  From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                  this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                    As posted in your other thread, same subject:
                    Shouldn't be any problem at all. Might want to go to SS braided lines while you've got the system open, too. I went with these: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92494, no problems with them at all and they're much less expensive than buying HEL or Russell.http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=125084

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I'll check out the other lines as well. Planning to pick up the master cylinder today if there aren't any big red flags, so we'll see how that install goes.

Heck, might want to get with venturesomerite and see about converting to a hydraulic clutch while you're at it. Maybe you can just do a one-for-one parts swap and both be happy!
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=125084
                    I would be VERY interested in a hydraulic clutch, thanks for the tip. I'll hop over to that thread, see what he is looking for. Might work out well for both of us
                    Last edited by cwalmsley; 05-10-2012, 08:18 AM.
                    Christine

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cwalmsley View Post
                      I would be VERY interested in a hydraulic clutch, thanks for the tip.
                      You would be one of the first lol.

Honestly, at some point the PO likely replaced the clutch and at the same time replaced the OEM springs with the heavier springs of the clutch kit. May be worth a shot to use a set of OEM springs and see if it eases up the pull for you.
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                        Honestly, at some point the PO likely replaced the clutch and at the same time replaced the OEM springs with the heavier springs of the clutch kit.
                        Great, thanks for the tip. How do I tell if they are OEM springs on there?

I don't know what else to try for the clutch. Have just heard a lot of people suggest trying a hydraulic one, but I'm just grasping at straws here. Any other suggestions would be great.
                        Christine

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                          You would be one of the first lol...
                          No, she wouldn't. I swapped out my cable clutch for a hydro on my '96 750 and was extremely happy with the results. I had an '84 Interceptor for 8 years that had a hydro and so long as the line is bled properly you don't lose any feel. In return for the trouble of bleeding you get a little mechanical advantage and it's self-adjusting.

High-end bikes tend to get hydro clutches because they're nicer to use. Bikes that're expected to be crashed a lot get cables because they're less likely to become unusable after a wreck.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

No, she wouldn't.
                            Okay, I know blazerzr2 was talking about it back in the day. You did it. That makes the OP #3. I'd consider that "one of the first"

Comment

No, she wouldn't. I swapped out my cable clutch for a hydro on my '96 750 and was extremely happy with the results. I had an '84 Interceptor for 8 years that had a hydro and so long as the line is bled properly you don't lose any feel. In return for the trouble of bleeding you get a little mechanical advantage and it's self-adjusting.

High-end bikes tend to get hydro clutches because they're nicer to use. Bikes that're expected to be crashed a lot get cables because they're less likely to become unusable after a wreck.
                              1996 was 16 years ago...1984 (4 years before I was born) was 28 years ago...

The 2000 GSXR 1000, easily THE bar setter of the real open class bikes we are seeing now? Cable clutch.

The 1997 GSXR 600 that paved the way for the modern sportbike? Cable clutch.

Not sure what your definition of "high-end" is...

2012 CBR1000RR - cable
                              2012 GSX1000RR - cable
                              2012 R1 - not sure because the R1 blows
                              2012 ZX10R - cable
                              2012 S1000RR (the fastest and most powerful open class sportbike EVER) - cable

Now if your definition of "high end" is expensive, then yes the real Ducati bikes (not the Monster or any of those other BS abominations) come with a hydro clutch.

That's fine if you like them, but when no real performance bikes use them anymore, well... bikes that sell a lot will get crashed more.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X