X

Parking in a grass field

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking in a grass field

I'm going up to the 10k Lakes Festival (rock/jam band music festival) tomorrow and I want to take the Kat. Parking is just in a big grass field, though. Does anybody have any experience with that to make sure the side stand doesn't dig into the dirt and have the bike fall over?

I thought about just taking a peice of wood to put the stand on, will that solve the problem?

Any ideas?

dont do it. if at all possible use the centerstand if you HAVE To park on grass. the sidestands on katanas are known to be pretty faulty
    Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
    Current Bikes:
    1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

the wood will work as long as it is big/thick enough and the ground is reasonably solid
      I would recommend a piece of plywood ,what ever you can fit into a back pack
      I sometimes have used a soda can on ashpalt and they are like tissue paper
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I parked the kat in a soft dirt/grassy parking lot for a full day while playing paintball. My buddy had a cardboard box in his jeep, so I tore off a flap, doubled it over and put the side stand too it and it stayed up all day.

Can't see a pic of the side stand down, but you can get a look at what I was parking on. It is at the 27 second mark.
        [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYY67p3bOSc"]YouTube - Comic Showdown scenario @ Black River Paintball (Teams)[/ame]
        sigpic

Comment

Not a big deal, use a crushed beer can. piece of wood, etc... Ive done it many times even in sand.
          '95 GSX750....bone stock, for now....

Comment

I just use a kickstand puck..its a hard piece of plastic, about 4" square
            It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

I use a flat cover plate for an electrical junction box. Costs about $1 at any Lowe's, Home Depot etc. It's a lot thinner and handier than a piece of plywood. Just leave it in your jacket pocket, or tank bag and you can use it equally effectively on hot asphalt parking lots.
              I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

sigpic

Comment

i use a platic thing that is made for it and it never dug any where from gravel parking.... never tried on grass tho but i think it would work

Comment

i would find a nice hard spot on the ground and put something under it. plywood.

Comment

Yup, just use a kickstand puck and you'll be fine. I keep a crushed coke can under my seat cowl for those occasions.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I have one of these for just a situation...

The Original Custom Imprinted Motorcycle Coaster® | The Motorcycle Coaster® is a motorcycle kickstand pad, custom printed with your message and logo. | 217-552-4773.

and just picked up one of these in black at CROT in Deals Gap (The Dragon) couple of days ago.

Welcome to the Official home page for Dragon gear from Deals Gap, a.k.a

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i just bring a soda with me, drink it when I get there and crush it verticaly. Slip it under the sidestand and go have fun. its really no biggie.
                        Joker
                        The newest addition to the Family!
                        sigpic
                        stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Come out my way and I'll give you a plastic puck. I have about 10 of them.

Comment

Do the crushed can thing, your're to find one laying around.

Comment

I have a plastic puck that i tied a string to. I just throw it under the sidestand and wrap the string around the bar end. when its time to go , Just pull teh string up adn retrieve the puck, Dont use the centerstand it will sink too.
                              Watching Obama run this country is like watching a train crash in slow motion.

Comment

Working...
                              X