X

Got it started finally

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got it started finally

Got my 92 Kat 750 started, so thanks to anyone on here who helped get me to this point. I knew it had been sitting, so when it was hard starting, and blew some smoke at first, I didn't worry. After a few minutes of blowing **** out, I got it to idle without holding the throttle back. It is still kind of smokey, but not much and very miniscule amounts compared to when I got it going. My problem is that it wont run without the choke on, and sometimes randomly it will slowly starting rising the revs, without me touching the throttle at all. I usually cut it off when it gets to roughly 4.5-5k. Other times, it idles at 3k.
    Last observation I noticed, I have a temporary gas setup to get her going, it is blowing through 12-16 ounces of gas in 2 minutes at low rpms. So clearly it is running rich right now. I know that my issues are located in the carbs, just not very good at decifering what to adjust just yet. I tried playing with the idle adjuster, hoping to find something, and thats how I got it to idle at all.

Your pilot jets are clogged, clean them. Trust me, messing with the idle screw isn't gonna fix your issue.

Comment

if you want to POSSIBLY save some time, run some seafoam through your tank, and then the next couple of tanks use some injector cleaner. I have had good luck that way. in fact, such good luck that I have never had really remove a set of carbs from a bike. unless they were REALLY messed up.

I know most of you will find this really really hard to believe, but in 30 years of riding, I have only had to remove the crabs for cleaning on ONE occasion....and my bikes have always run great. on my 92 that I put 120k miles on....the only time those carbs ever came off is when I parted the bike out. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I have always used injector cleaner in my bikes. every so often I would just dump a whole bottle of it into my tank, then run it hard.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Hm ok. I didn't think the jets were the problem there. I'll check them out later. Thanks.

Comment

I don't think they're the problem either. I KNOW they're the problem.

Comment

I'm gonna say you have 1 or more float needles not sealing off (draining the fuel) and the a/f circuit it dirty (other cylinders are lean = raised/hanging rpms).

Clean the carbs fully with a total tear down and make sure you double check/test the float needles are seating before putting them back on the bike.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Alright thanks guys. Cheers. I live in the path of Irene, so I will probably do that tommorow whilst bored

Comment

My problem was not recitified. I am unsure if my friend took the carbs completely apart, or just cleaned what he could without doing much, and tuned them a bit. I am frustrated beyond repair with these things. I know everyone says that the needles are either stuck, or the pilot jet is clogged. I have never taken carbs apart, so I don't know which one is the pilot jet to remove and inspect. I expect I need a jet kit and cone filters. Added to the winter list, along with the front end swap

Another question I have for the pros. I hooked up an auxiliary fuel source to sort out tuning it and such. When I put the fuel in, it goes down the lines, into the bowl, and a few seconds later, comes gushing out of the vent hoses above the fuel lines. This is not a good thing obviously. My float bowl sits nicely in its place on the carbs, and when I take the carb off and open her up, they are sitting where they should. Could this be related to my issues? And how do I stop her from pouring her gas all over her skirt?
                Last edited by flcmbt; 09-07-2011, 02:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If ur bike is stock, from what ive ever read dont need a jet kit and DEFINATLY no pod filters, stick with stock, your pilot jet is located on the bottom portion of your carbs, take off the bowl cover, then take out the float assymbly and the pilot jet should be covered by a lil plug, take that out and down in a hole you will find your pilot jet, heres a diagram i made of my carb completely apart. Take a look at it, its helped me alot.(You might have to download it to see it clearly)

EDIT: If im not mistaken the reason why your carbs are leaking is cause your float needles are not closing or seating fully
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by SU8ZERO; 09-07-2011, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I found a diagram of where the pilot jet is, I will check it out next opportunity. In regard to the floats, I checked them, the needle moves freely, the spring is bouncy, and seems to have good rigidity. I obviously will be going back and checking them.... AGAIN. lol but cheers for the input.

Comment

to test your float needles (AFTER you clean and inspect them again) what you can do is fill the bowls up with gas, or turn the carbs over and then blow into the fuel lines, if you can blow air then the needles are not seating.(thanks to whoever recently told me how to do this) Goodluck man

Comment

Non seating float needles won't make fuel leak out of the vent. Good guess though.

Comment

worth a try i guess, so what could the problem be?

Comment

The only time I've seen that happen is when one of the pilot jet plugs comes out of the tube and holds the float wide open. I image a float height set way wrong could do it too. A stuck open float could do it too. But the float needle wouldn't move, so that would be kinda obvious.

Comment

Arsenic, I thought that could be a possibility, but when I pull the bottom float, it seems to be seated snugly in place. Or at least, it looks like it. I don't really know for sure. The O-Rings on both the Pilot, and the fuel lines, are in good shape. When you press the float contraption into place, it stays there. No play. The float needle is non adjustable, but I pulled them out, and blew carb cleaner and then air through them, visually inspected to make sure that the plungers all move freely, and I am pretty sure they do. The range of motion on the float flows freely, and no hitches in movement. My ONLY guess at this point is that the spring on the float is possibly weakened?
                              In regard to the pilots, the guy I took them to said he took the carbs totally apart, but he had them back to me in less than 24 hours. So I don't know that he fully cleaned the pilot jets. I am at school currently, so I will be picking them up in two weeks to tear into them myself as per the carbs 101 page. I wish it had pictures, but I can manage. I have done a lot of studying lately, so I think I can at least manage that. If that still fails, A stage 3 jet kit and pod filters will be my next course of action. I think there is a possibility of a vacuum leak also, which I am in the process of looking into.
                              Arsenic, you know more than me lol. The vacuum port on the back of the carbs, the one that the fuel line plugs into. If there is a small leak at those, will that cause the rpm hike? That port is rigged closed at the moment, while I work on the bike. Using electrical tape. I never thought of this, because I assumed that a leak there would cause a non start, not a start with rpm hike.

Comment

Working...
                              X