New (ish) guy in NJ

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (ish) guy in NJ

Hello KatRiders,

I've been lurking on and off for two years... never really had too much to say. I lost my left leg just below the knee 15 years ago and thought that I'd never ride.

A friend of mine knew that I'd always wanted to ride-- i bought the Katana on Ebay for $500 as a test subject-- He's a mechanic and ultimately came up with a solution to move the shifter to the right side. We also moved the rear brakes to the front brake lever (one master cyclinder with a proportioing valve-- it works surprisingly well)

I've been doing this on a fairly ratty looking '91 600. Rattle-can paint job, awful sounding V&H supersport (LOUD) can, and rattly (missing all the OEM mounting hardware) plastics.

I decided this year that I'd keep the bike for another year or two (I was looking at an Aprillia Mana... all tiptronic and a very easy solution for a one-legged rider!) instead of buying a new set of headaches.

I knew that if I was going to keep the bike, I had to improve on the performance, sound, and cosmetics.

The biggest issue I had with my 91 was the carbs.... they'd start running lean at 4-5k rpm and the bike would sort of "burble" They were never jetted for the god-awful V&H exhaust... so. My first investment was in a Yoshimura Can. I purchased one at auction meant for a '06 GSX-R 600. Virtually a perfect fit after a small amount of hacksaw work. My brother in law is a professional welder-- he fabricated and welded a custom mounting tabs to mate up with the mounting tabs on the pipe..

We managed to get 6 of the 8 head bolts out without stripping or breaking them. The last two wil require and easy out--- but at least the V&H headers are off. picked up 25 lbs of glass beads today to sand-blast them. Once they're clean, I'll hit them with some high-heat black and then wrap them in fiberglass wrap... got a nice roll or blue wrap from SickSpeed for $15.00. Once the whole exhaust is in place, it's off to the local power-sports garage for jetting and tuning.

I pulled all the plastic off and have been sanding and prepping them for Black carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap. I read some of the guides and tip sheets here... nothing can really prepare you for this painstaking work, though. The panels need to be absolutely smooth.... otherwise the vinyl shows every imperfection. I have one of the rear tail fairings done (it looks great) and will be starting on the fronts this weekend.

new tires on the way (i went 10mm larger... i think that's ok) along with a new chain, sprocket and counter-sprocket. I also got lots of anodized aluminum goodies to jazz up the black carbon fiber.

I'll post pictures as I go... any input is welcomed- ESPECIALLY related to the Vinyl wrap and the jetting.

Thanks,

Andy
    sigpic
    '91 Katana 600 custom right-side shift, Yoshimura Exhaust, Vinyl Carbon Fiber wrapped.

'09 Aprilia Mana 850 Carbon Fiber body work, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID conversion

Hey Andy, welcome to KR. post up some pics of that bike when you get a chance. We like pics

Comment

Sounds like a fascinating project. +(a whole bunch) on the pics.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Welcome to KR.

120/70 and 150/70 would be the largest recommended size for tires on the stock rims for your bike.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Pix

OK, picture time, then-- attaching pictures is sort of... confusing. in order of the uploads:

Here's the Yosh RS-3 exhaust just hanging from the headers (after cutting the collector-end down a few inches)

The small fairing piece under the headlight was my test run.. came out looking ok.

New bracket welded onto the frame and the Yosh attached to it. That funny looking peg is my right-side shifter

Just a shot of the new bracket before anything was bolted on.

The Old V&H headers. I'm going to blast them, paint them, wrap them in blue header tape.

First body panel complete. The Vinyl is hard to work with but... a hairdryer is NOT the way to do it. Picked up a heat gun yesterday and it makes all the difference in the world. The Fairing pictured to the left is the old rattle can finish after sanding and cleaning. I used 750, 1000, and 1500 grit wet-dry to get it as smooth as possible... the vinyl shows EVERY imperfection in the plastic. I have some manufacturer's decals that I'm going place "strategically" over any glaring flaws. heh.

Last pic is the Yosh hanging on the bike by the stock hanger-mount under the rear peg. Looks awesome.

More pics as stuff happens.

Andy
          Attached Files
          sigpic
          '91 Katana 600 custom right-side shift, Yoshimura Exhaust, Vinyl Carbon Fiber wrapped.

Comment

Looking good

Comment

More Pix

The wrapping and rebuilding continues. A few more pictures added below.

1. Carbon-Fiber vinyl wrap continues... top of the taillight lens covered in black and blue vinyl. beat-up instrument bezel gets blue vinyl. should look pretty nice when the guages are back in.

2. swing-arm view of the bike after being stripped down. Swing arms to be sandblasted painted black. Plastidip? Is it durable enough or should I just go with some high-heat black epoxy?

3. front-end view of the bike. Wheels are off (sandblasting and painting also in the near future) and also considering the plastidip... maybe give the calipers that "Brembo" look and paint them red? Might stand out in an interesting way on an otherwise black and blue bike...

More pics to come, soon.

Andy
              Attached Files
              sigpic

Comment

Hmmm

Trying to post in the "wanted to buy" section, but I get a message telling me that I need to have posted 50 times before I can start a thread... a little frustrating.

I need an oil cover for a '91 600. The round, hockey puck-sized platic piece that fits in the upper fairing. I had it... I stashed it somewhere so it wouldn't get lost during the rebuild... now I can't find it.

Feeling dumb,

Andy
                sigpic

Comment

Welcome!
                  sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                  1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                  2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                  First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                  Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by lastleg View Post
                    Trying to post in the "wanted to buy" section, but I get a message telling me that I need to have posted 50 times before I can start a thread... a little frustrating.

I need an oil cover for a '91 600. The round, hockey puck-sized platic piece that fits in the upper fairing. I had it... I stashed it somewhere so it wouldn't get lost during the rebuild... now I can't find it.

Feeling dumb,

Andy

You should check the price on a new one. May surprise you how cheap those are.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

yet more pix

More work done this weekend. The Vinyl wrap is almost done... I'll be very glad to see the end of that sticky mess. Did some polishing with a dremel-- polished the hub prior to mounting the new rear sprocket. It came out pretty good, but gave me some insight into polishing the wheels (it would take 20-30 hours per wheel, IMHO)

I painted the wheels with Krylon Satin Black (after sandblasting them clean) - they'll get a blue stripe after the tires are mounted.

Test fitted the two back fairings... they look pretty good!

Shop manual didn't give me a very specific # for the torque specs on the sprocket bolts... something like 45-72 lbs... ha ha! Opted for 66 lbs... all put together and waiting for the tires to be mounted (tomorrow)

More pix too follow-- hope to have it on the road within a week or two...

Andy
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

Comment

Bike on the road

By and large, the bike is complete. It's roadworthy (hah ha, sitting at my desk with messy hair and a huge smile) and that's 99% of the battle. Lost a fairing bolt on the way into work-- not a huge deal, but annoying. Still have to decide where the gee-whiz manufacturer's stickers are gonna go (Suzuki, Renthal, Sickspeed, Yoshimura, etc) but it sounds sooo good with the new can. Compared to the Vance and Hines? it's virtually silent.
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X