X

1998 Salvaged 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Salvaged 750

Greetings from AZ. Not only am I new to the forum, I am new to the Suzuki brand. My last build was a Yamaha 1600 Road Star bobber in the 50's style, complete with tractor seat and fat tires at both ends and a big ol' springer on the front (picture of the build at the end of my post). My hobby is spending time in the garage with my kids building anything with wheels. We do it all from fab to paint. I have had the desire to do a café racer or street fighter for about three years. I saw Roland Sands bike and it grabbed me by the brain. After a lot of research, the Katana 750 was the right balance between sport and comfort for what I have in mind. Time to get busy. I bought the bike two days ago for super cheap and already started the tear down. I plan to chop and weld my way to a one-off as I did with the bobber. Which brings me to my first question. As with other forums, I have already spent at least three hours doing searches for front end swaps and can't find the info I need. Can anyone point in the right direction? I want to find the right GSXR front end for a direct fit and to handle the weight difference. I have read that on the pre-98's it is done with the 750's or the 1000's. But I can't find anything on the 98 and up Katana. Thanks ahead of time and glad to be here.

Welcome to the neighborhood! Not a fan of bobbers generally, but nice job on yours, looks good!
    I'm not any help for the front end swap, but you mentioned something about it being able to handle the weight? If you get new racetech springs put in the forks that are weight appropriate, that shouldn't be a issue. Costs ~$120. The stock springs are intended for something like a 130lb rider. One of the most popular mods on here is getting springs matched to your weight. If you've got other reasons for doing the GIX swap, have at it! But if it's just weight...I'd at least look into springs.
    Good luck with the build!
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I appreciate the tip. But it is also for the aesthetics. The look of the inverted forks looks great on a street fighter.

Comment

Welcome, i dig old school bobbers and kats don't look great as street fighters, odd frame shape. Many try, few make it work, not great but they do make it work. Nice work on the Yamaha.
        Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-05-2014, 12:19 AM.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Guys, I appreciate the compliments on the YamaHarley. I loved building it. It came out well and sold for a good penny. As for Kat frames, I will give my best shot. I hope I can provide a better way to reshape the sub-frames for the street fighter Kat. I will document my work in the street fighter forum.

Comment

Welcome to KR!
            sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
            1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
            2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
            First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
            Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

All "stock" front ends from any other bike are going to be under sprung. Pick the style you want, plan on replacing the springs as part of their build.

The swap info for the direct fitment at the neck is the same pre and post Kats. 88+ all use the same steering bearings.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Keep us posted with updates, like to see more of your work.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                  Keep us posted with updates, like to see more of your work.
                  +1
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Welcome. Nice looking build. Good luck with the new build.

Comment

90 to 95ish gsxr front ends are a direct swap to the kat, as the same with some early 'busas'. And as mentioned above will be under sprung for the Kat's weight not accounting for the rider. Other inverted front ends will most likely require a stem swap, and will again will most likely be under sprung.

I'll toss this in too, no direct swap swing arms either. The lower portion of the sub frame at the rear set gets in the way, swing arms with wider section tires get wide too soon and will hit in this area.

And welcome to KR
                      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Excellent. Great info right off the bat. I will definitely respring. I am moving this to the conversation to the street fighter forum. I assure you, the build will not be less than dramatic. At least not for me...

Comment

Good luck.
                          http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                          http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                          '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                          "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                          "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Working...
                          X