X

Hand signals...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand signals...

Was out riding yesterday and a couple oncoming riders tapped the top of their helmets with their hands.

Didn't realize what it meant... When I got home I realized it meant cops (there were a lot out that day).

Are they any other signals I should know about? I mostly commute so I don't get to see many signals other than the occasional wave

If you give the "rubber side down" wave.... I usually use one or two fingers pointing down....... and the oncoming rider doesn't respond..... it usually "signals" several things
    a) I'm too cool riding my Fartley to acknowledge a sport-bike rider
    b) This is my first ride and I'm too scared sh*tless to take one hand off the bar and I just took out a second mortgage to buy this Fartley
    c) They think I'm telling them to "F*off and go to h*ll"....refer back to "a"
    d) I don't know what that means.... I'm still trying to figure out what a tap on top of your helmet means
    e) all of the above
    f) some of the above
    g) only one of the above

Feel free to add to the list.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

so i did some research on your head tap signal... i found these hand signals that may help some other riders out there as well... enjoy
      [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHvLhoo0D88"]Motorcycle Hand Signals - YouTube[/ame]
      [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgXLBuAj90E&feature=fvwrel"]Motorcycle Hand Signals 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Um, you didn't take those seriously did you?? Cuz, those are meant to be funny, not serious.

Comment

Other legitimate signals...

Helmet on the ground by the front tire: broke down, stop and offer assistance.

Pointing at ground (with fingers or toes): probably some crap in the road you should be looking for.

Pointing at you: new sport bike wave.

Pointing at you repeatedly: you have something important about to fall off.

Pointing at tank: running out of fuel.

Closed fist to open hand to closed fist, repeatedly: Unless your 90 or just got your motorcycle endorsement, there is no excuse for leaving your turn signal on.

Holding junk motion: gotta pee or your bike is leaking.
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Though I shouldn't laugh at the over gratuitous language, that was ROFL.
            I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.

Comment

If I remember right he has videos of the normal ones on his youtube channel downshift83

Comment

i just give the hand level to the ground salute. to anybody on 2 wheels including hawgers
                im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

That was funny because...

I rode a lot this weekend, and the wave to the **** you for not waiving back was used at least three times....lol

The other one was the go ahead and cut me off already 'cause I do not want to be run off the road, thanks....lol

Good find...
                  "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Foot to the ground to indicate pothole or potential hazard...the hand on the helmet is pretty universal.

We always do open palm to the ground facing backwards for slow down.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                      Foot to the ground to indicate pothole or potential hazard...

We always do open palm to the ground facing backwards for slow down.
                      We always point with toe so as not to be confused with simple stretching.

Open hand pushing back: back off, I'm about to do something "special", or you're in my space.

Open hand pushing down: you might want to slow down, some kind of hazard up ahead.
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet
                      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                        Open hand pushing back: back off, I'm about to do something "special"
                        Damn dual sport riders

I did jump my 636 on a bridge entrance a while back...everyone got a kick out of that.
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

You guys have probably seen this one, the I'm crashing one is one I hope I never use.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zKQv2dc-cM&feature=plcp"]ATGATT: Motorcycle hand signals. - YouTube[/ame]
                          Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way turn.

2001 Katana 600
                          2007 Honda Reflex
                          1992 Ninja ZX7

Comment

Originally posted by scooterholic View Post
                            You guys have probably seen this one, the I'm crashing one is one I hope I never use.
                            never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
                            Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
                            confused katana build

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post

Holding junk motion: gotta pee or your bike is leaking.
                              I wish I had known that a couple years back after drinking too much Mt.Dew...
                              It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X