X

my kat shuts off while riding

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my kat shuts off while riding

i'll give you all the info i can - my bike shut off while i was in third gear pulled over and it started right back up . 10 minutes later it shut off again on the highway in fifth gear. i couldnt tell if the bike shut off first or the oil light came on first.the second time it shut off it wouldnt start right back up, oil & oil filter is new and also the oil level is good .after towing the bike home tryed starting it and it started right up, since i've had the bike which is now 1 1/2 years i havent had the carbs cleaned - could the carbs have anything to do with my problem? the other thing i was thinking of maybe its the kickstand switch messing with me , any suggestions are welcome thanks

Originally posted by illwillone View Post
    i'll give you all the info i can - my bike shut off while i was in third gear pulled over and it started right back up . 10 minutes later it shut off again on the highway in fifth gear. i couldnt tell if the bike shut off first or the oil light came on first.the second time it shut off it wouldnt start right back up, oil & oil filter is new and also the oil level is good .after towing the bike home tryed starting it and it started right up, since i've had the bike which is now 1 1/2 years i havent had the carbs cleaned - could the carbs have anything to do with my problem? the other thing i was thinking of maybe its the kickstand switch messing with me , any suggestions are welcome thanks
    Is it sputtering/losing power before it dies, or is it just dieing without any indication? If it is sputter/losing power probably means there is a fuel issue (either a bad fill (Water in teh fuel) or a partially kinked line, partially obstructed fuel filter or bad petcock).. if it is dieing without any indication than it is possible that it is the side stand switch or any other thing along those lines..

Comment

It wouldn't hurt to check out the sidestand spring. If your roads are anything like they are around here with the frost heaves and such....... a loose spring will do you in.
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Numus has it in one, I think. If you get a warning it's probably fuel. No warning means electrical, probably the sidestand switch in this case.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

no there was no warning it just died out of nowhere, i guess i'll just check the kick stand switch. if its the switch i can just solder those wires together right and if its the spring from the kick stand can i just get the spring or does it come with the kick stand ?

Comment

quick update - so i lubed the bolt for the kickstand and the kickstand switch and the bike was working good until last night.on the way back from newwark ,nj i had a couple of things happen to me . 1st - a couple of times while riding i had no throttle & wasnt able to shift into any gears . earlier that day i had installed new levers , so when i was experiencing these problems i figured i would adjust the clutch cable at the lever. while adjusting the lever i noticed i only have three threads left to adjust , does it mean that i need a new cable or a clutch. 2nd- my previous problem came back the bike would just shut right off with no warning but the people i was riding with said they saw sparks coming out my exhaust .so when it shut off i was able to coast to the shoulder and it wouldnt start up again. it had plenty of power ( battery) and it was cranking and almost started but thats where she was done. she had to get put on the trailer from there . i'm capable of doing the work just need for some one to point me in the right direction thanks again

Comment

Still sounds electrical. Mayb you have a bad cdi box that shorts out when it warms up. Mine has random times where the ignition cuts out unexplained but comes right back...

Comment

Originally posted by illwillone View Post
                quick update - so i lubed the bolt for the kickstand and the kickstand switch and the bike was working good until last night.on the way back from newwark ,nj i had a couple of things happen to me . 1st - a couple of times while riding i had no throttle & wasnt able to shift into any gears . earlier that day i had installed new levers , so when i was experiencing these problems i figured i would adjust the clutch cable at the lever. while adjusting the lever i noticed i only have three threads left to adjust , does it mean that i need a new cable or a clutch. 2nd- my previous problem came back the bike would just shut right off with no warning but the people i was riding with said they saw sparks coming out my exhaust .so when it shut off i was able to coast to the shoulder and it wouldnt start up again. it had plenty of power ( battery) and it was cranking and almost started but thats where she was done. she had to get put on the trailer from there . i'm capable of doing the work just need for some one to point me in the right direction thanks again
                Throttle and shifting would be 2 separate issues.. The shifting would be your cable but the throttle you need to explain exactly how it was acting to be able to diagnose that one.

As for sparks out of the exhaust... ?!?!?

Comment

how would i diagnose the cdi box ?

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                    As for sparks out of the exhaust... ?!?!?
                    +1 as for the diagnosis I personally do not know how to test except finding another to put in to see if it still does the same thing. (loaner or parts bike)

Comment

I'd also check the fuel filter. About a year ago, my bike would shut off, and a few minutes later it would start back up , would ride a few miles and it'd go off again. Fuel filter was clogged

Comment

Well yeah didn't think about that. My petcock still has the sock filter so I didn't run any extras...but if yours has them check em!

Comment

Hey guys I have a question that's a little off subject but I'll ask anyways. The petcock on my 94 Katana doesn't have an off position and I was wondering where to put it while its not running? I have RES to the left down is ON and the right is PRI. Don't wanna have it in the wrong position and let fuel get into my oil... :/
                          At first I was like

Now I'm like

Comment

either on or res...NOT PRIME! If it's leaking still you'll need to pull the petcock apart and replace the o-ring on the diaphragm and check the spring

Comment

Alright thanks for the quick reply :mrgreen: I don't think its leaking just don't want it to... I haven't had a chance to really ride it yet though as I'm still waiting for my helmet (should be here next week ) and tax refund so I can take the rider course
                              At first I was like

Now I'm like

Comment

Working...
                              X