Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

I want to know what this 83 Katana is worth?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to agree with Mojoe. The vintage target design kats are in a completely different class and comparing them with Suzuki GSXF models in relation to design and price is comparing apples to oranges. What some people don't understand is that the target design kats played a large role in the transformation of moving standard bikes more toward the modern day sportbike. That's why it shows up in history books and motorcycle/design exhibitions. Given the limited years of importation and production numbers, that history coupled with the rarity makes them collectible bikes and they will continue to grow in value.

The GSXF models however, have no such value in motorcycle history and while filling a niche in the market, they were mass produced parts bin bikes. Not trying to detract from some of their redeeming qualities when properly set up (I've owned a couple) but the frame is cheaply made, the suspension and brake components are bargain basement, and the motors are adapted from previous bikes.

When I hear of someone paying $2000+ for a 88-97GSXF, I usually don't think, "awesome, you got a great deal!" I'm more likely to think,"man did you pay way to much." I'm happy for guys that pick up older GSXFs for steals (ie, ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE $200 special) and put some time into them to make them their daily drivers. Modded and outfitted correctly, a GSXF is a great value for certain riding purposes, but it will never NEVER hold the same value as a vintage katana.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2009, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari View Post
      I tend to agree with Mojoe. The vintage target design kats are in a completely different class and comparing them with Suzuki GSXF models in relation to design and price is comparing apples to oranges. What some people don't understand is that the target design kats played a large role in the transformation of moving standard bikes more toward the modern day sportbike. That's why it shows up in history books and motorcycle/design exhibitions. Given the limited years of importation and production numbers, that history coupled with the rarity makes them collectible bikes and they will continue to grow in value.

The GSXF models however, have no such value in motorcycle history and while filling a niche in the market, they were mass produced parts bin bikes. Not trying to detract from some of their redeeming qualities when properly set up (I've owned a couple) but the frame is cheaply made, the suspension and brake components are bargain basement, and the motors are adapted from previous bikes.

When I hear of someone paying $2000+ for a 88-97GSXF, I usually don't think, "awesome, you got a great deal!" I'm more likely to think,"man did you pay way to much." I'm happy for guys that pick up older GSXFs for steals (ie, ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE $200 special) and put some time into them to make them their daily drivers. Modded and outfitted correctly, a GSXF is a great value for certain riding purposes, but it will never NEVER hold the same value as a vintage katana.
      Waltari gets it
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
        so let's just all be honest here.....who in here who owns a vintage kat, really cares what someone paid for a mid 90's 600 or 750? .
        I don't care as they are, in MY opinion, a BEGINNERS motorcycle, cheap & disposable. They can be tricked out & painted & made more powerful but so can a pigs ear. In the end, it's still a pigs ear. The point being, NOT to insult the 600/750 owners here, that the 82/83 Kats are RARE & collectible while the Kat 600s, & 750s of the same family NEVER will be. LEARN to ride on a later Kat & then, when you have matured & gained wisdom, go find an 82/83 to appreciate! You will never look back. Ray.
        85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
          I don't care as they are, in MY opinion, a BEGINNERS motorcycle, cheap & disposable. They can be tricked out & painted & made more powerful but so can a pigs ear. In the end, it's still a pigs ear. The point being, NOT to insult the 600/750 owners here, that the 82/83 Kats are RARE & collectible while the Kat 600s, & 750s of the same family NEVER will be. LEARN to ride on a later Kat & then, when you have matured & gained wisdom, go find an 82/83 to appreciate! You will never look back. Ray.
          Which is why I own a vintage Kat. It's also why I bought an RF instead of a later Katana for a daily...

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers Mojoe, I was trying to be funny. I personally can't stand the looks of the last generation Kats with the scuba goggle headlights but since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I won't judge anyone who loves theirs. To each their own.
          1980 GS1100E, 2002 748S, 2010 ZX14, 2013 Bonneville T-100

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by exc911ence View Post
            Which is why I own a vintage Kat. It's also why I bought an RF instead of a later Katana for a daily...
            Nice thing is, if it rains, you can park the vintage kat under the tail of the RF to keep it dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari View Post
              Nice thing is, if it rains, you can park the vintage kat under the tail of the RF to keep it dry.
              LOL!

"Dude, does my bike's big @$$ make my @$$ look big?"

Dave

Comment

LOL!

"Dude, does my bike's big @$$ make my @$$ look big?"

That was you that was drag racing, eh? Now I got your plate number....I am calling the pigs on you....

Comment

Wouldn't have been much of a drag race against that CBR...

... would be a different story on my Kat 1100!

Dave

Comment

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers Mojoe, I was trying to be funny. I personally can't stand the looks of the last generation Kats with the scuba goggle headlights but since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I won't judge anyone who loves theirs. To each their own.
                    you didn't ruffle my feathers at all there buddy. once you get to know me better, you will see that I usually express what I am thinking whether my feathers are ruffled or not. all is good here....just a sharing of opinions between a few vintage kat owners.

Comment

so what would an old cat like this be worth. i got no gauges with it, it smokes a little i think from #2, it takes a while to start firing when its cold. runs good now that i cleaned the carbs and threw in a battery. i actually straightened the forks just so i could test ride it!! yes i'm crazy like that!!

0707001955.jpg

0707001955a(2).jpg

Comment

Originally posted by zzzzzz View Post
                        so what would an old cat like this be worth. i got no gauges with it, it smokes a little i think from #2, it takes a while to start firing when its cold. runs good now that i cleaned the carbs and threw in a battery. i actually straightened the forks just so i could test ride it!! yes i'm crazy like that!!

[ATTACH]19780[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19781[/ATTACH]
                        I am cheap, so I would probably only offer about $50 myself..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
                          I am cheap, so I would probably only offer about $50 myself..
                          to be honest, I wouldn't give much more than that myself. you can still find those bikes in decent shape for about a grand or so.....running and on the road. if you calculate the costs of materials and the time involved, this bike isn't worth much at all. personally, I would only buy it for parts.

btw....kind of an old thread, you think?

Comment

Working...
                          X