X

Is it worth it

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth it

I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 Katana 600. It was never dropped and only has 5100 miles on it. The problem is, it has been standing for a while, so it is burning oil like crazy and the oil is dripping out somewhere. The guy wants $2000 for it. I rode it a while back in March and it ran strong, but it has been sitting since then and that is when the two problems happend.

I am woundering if it is a good price for the bike. Also what are the common places for these bikes to leak oil? If I get it I would do a compression test, sicne I bought one for GS450 and that would narrow donw the prblem if it is the rings or not.

Thanks in advance

The oil dripping would give me serious cause for concern -- and the suspicion that it had been dropped & most of the damage has been repaired so you're not noticing it.

Traditional places that oil leaks happen:
    Oil filter not screwed on tight enough (spec calls for two full rotations after the seal of the filter just starts to kiss the block);
    Oil drain bolt stripped;
    Chain lube dripping off the front sprocket area, looking like motor oil leaking but in fact it's not;
    Valve cover gasket from over-torquing bolts when closing her back up after a valve adjustment.

There are other places it can leak, but those are the usual ones if it develops a leak (Kats don't normally leak oil -- that's usually reserved for the HD's and some older Triumphs/Nortons/Motoguzzi's).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

You would have to further investigate for anyone to give you any ideas where the oil may be leaking from. It could just possibly be coming out the drain plug from sitting. Maybe oil cooler lines have decayed? Lots of different options.

If you are not mechanically inclined ask the man selling the bike if you could take it to a mechanic and have him do the once over and work you up an estimate of what it may cost to fix. Depending on where the bike has been stored and how it was stored makes all the world of difference in how much $ you will put in to it. I would atleast figure new tires, fresh gas, clean the carbs, change the oil,new spark plugs lube chain possible new chain,battery, clean/replace airfilter and check wiring for chew holes. Remember these are just the basics so you may or may not have to do all of the above depending on how he kept it.

If this sounds like to much to get into maybe you would be better off considering a good used bike that needs little or no work. But if you are a decent mechanic and can follow step by step instructions from a manual or a fellow Katrider than you may just want to jump on this deal.

Comment

Im a pretty good mechanic. I rebuild a few car engines before. I just want to know what I should expect. It kind of look like the oil was coming for the gear selector.

The biek was not stored, it was just not being used. The tires are good, he had the carbs cleaned in spring and the oil changed. I have a battery from my other bike. The wiring is all good, casue the bike starts and all the electrical works.

I allready downloaded the manual for this bike from this site, so taking the engine apart and putting all together wont be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by krzys84
          ...It kind of look like the oil was coming for the gear selector....
          Sounds like the "oil leak" is, as CP pointed out, not oil from the engine at all but lube from the chain. That area around the gear shift lever pretty much stays dirty if you keep your chain lubed. Sounds like a decent deal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by krzys84
            It kind of look like the oil was coming for the gear selector.
            That's either excess chain lube running down (almost guaranteed), or you need to very carefully ride to see if there is any issues with 1st-to-2nd and 3rd-to-2nd shifting. 2nd gear failures are a common problem among those who abuse the Kat by shifting poorly, and they are a royal PIA to fix (figure full engine tear-down to get at the tranny, then about $250 in parts -- the labor figure is 15 to 50 hours depending on skill level and how complete your toolkit is).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The only leak my Kat ever had was due to a gasket or O-ring on the shift lever. It was a very small leak and it was repaired when I had the chain replaced.

As for burning oil, that's something my Katana never had trouble with.

I sold a 2000 Katana 600 with 45,000 miles to a friend for $1500.
              Race On The Track ... Never On The Street

Comment

Yea I agree...take it for a nice ride possibly 30 minutes if you can and make sure the clutch gears ect are working properly. If they seem to be working without a hitch consider buying the bike. Also search for Cyber Poets Pre Buying checklist on here that lists everything to look for when buying a used bike. Print it out and take it along and check everything off after you checked the bike out. This will help you to avoid getting a junker.

Comment

Check the engine cover on that side. Mine had a slow leak that would let oil spray out the rear vent of the side fairing (right where your knee bends)...but I fixed it. I dropped the bike on that side and then had a steady leak of oil from that engine cover. I raplaced it with a heavy duty one and have had no issues. I could see no cracks in the cover I took off - I may have just broke the seal (weak as it was already leaking) but didn't want to take any chances.
                  '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
                  PurpleonBlack

Comment

If the oil leak is a quick fix, that is a crazy good price.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Kidd
                      Check the engine cover on that side. Mine had a slow leak that would let oil spray out the rear vent of the side fairing (right where your knee bends)...but I fixed it. I dropped the bike on that side and then had a steady leak of oil from that engine cover. I raplaced it with a heavy duty one and have had no issues. I could see no cracks in the cover I took off - I may have just broke the seal (weak as it was already leaking) but didn't want to take any chances.
                      He told me that it tipped over in his garage, so maybe it broke the seal. But what bothers me is that it burns oil. If the rings siezed, would I have to bore the cylinders and put in oversize pistons, or just change the rings.

Comment

I'd offer him 1600. At the least you're going to have to take the valve covers off and hope it's just mis-adjusted valves burning oil.

At worst, you'll need to re-ring the pistons. Either way, you'd be paying a shop 200-600 dollars (minimum) to do that, + whatever is causing the oil leak. I personally wouldn't pay more than about 2600 for the bike in good running condition. Since it's whipped (in the worst way for a seller, burning oil just makes me think serious additional costs).

Good luck with it anyway. I'd almost go down there with 1500 and try to steal it, but you can have first crack at it.

Comment

Sounds like a steal of a deal to me. Even if the oil leak is severe, I would imagine it would still be cheaper to fix than to buy a late model with the same milage.
                          "MY $6,000 BIKE IS FASTER THAN YOUR $60,000 PORSCHE" stickers on sale now!

http://www.slightlysquidly.com

Comment

Originally posted by thecynic
                            I'd offer him 1600. At the least you're going to have to take the valve covers off and hope it's just mis-adjusted valves burning oil.

At worst, you'll need to re-ring the pistons. Either way, you'd be paying a shop 200-600 dollars (minimum) to do that, + whatever is causing the oil leak. I personally wouldn't pay more than about 2600 for the bike in good running condition. Since it's whipped (in the worst way for a seller, burning oil just makes me think serious additional costs).

Good luck with it anyway. I'd almost go down there with 1500 and try to steal it, but you can have first crack at it.
                            Thats exactly how I feel about it. The more I think about makes me not want to get it. I don't want to cut my throat and pay a lot of money for parts. I went to a few dealers today and just for the set of piston rings, valve seals, and gaskets would be between $250-300. For the money I would have to put in, I could just get a running bike, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by thecynic

actually that is not the worst. a ring could be broken and may have scored the cylinder....which mean boring or re-sleeving.

and I don't buy the oil leak starting from sitting for just a while. 2, 3...4 years, maybe. my 1100 has been sitting in the corner of the shop on the floor for over a year, and not a drop of oil has leaked from it.

my suggestion.....go to him with 10 $100 bills and stick them under his nose. literally....stick them in his face...let him get a whiff of them. all the while telling him that you got an estimate for an engine overhaul and that it is expensive enough that a grand is all the bike is worth.
                              if he hesitates for even a second, you know he is getting interested. keep your other hand in another pocket holding on to 2 more $100 bills. even he looks like he is going to decline, pull them out and say that is the final offer because you found another bike in better shape for the price he is asking.

Don't be afraid to insult him with a rediculously low offer. he knows the bike is fucked and it is not going to be easy to sell.
                              I have made offers from 1/3 to 1/2 of the asking price with a little coaxing, and walked away with a good deal.

KG's VW rabbit is an example...the guy wanted $5k, but is desperate enought to sell for $2k.

I am sorry to say that I have to disagree with anyone who says that $2k is still a good deal. You could end up dumping a grand or more into it before bringing it up to par. You are better to chip in that extra grand up front and get something already up to snuff.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X