X

Float Level Problem?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Float Level Problem?

My 1992 600 runs great, BUT . . . it has one cyinder that shuts down when I brake hard to a stop at a light. The cylinder shuts down and in a few seconds begins to fire again as though it was awash in gas and needed time to burn off the excess. Same thing happens at idle as I roll down my (steep) drivewway to go out for a ride. As I ease down the hill, the cylinder slowly shuts down and once on level ground in the street, it slowly begins to fire again. It doesn't otherwise affect the rideability of the bike. It's annoyance mostly. Changed plugs a few months ago and Nos. 2, 3 & 4 were nicely tan and clean. No. 1 plug was blackened with carbon build-up. I'm figuring the float level in No. 1 carb is set too high or the float is sticking.

Sound like I'm barking up the right tree? I'd like to avoid pulling the carbs if I can because I haven't (yet) purchased a vacuum guage set.
    Crawlin' from the wreckage.

Yes, it sounds like the #1 float, or #1 has some water in the float bowl.

Either way, pull the carb and clean it, then measure & reset the float as needed. Even without the sync tool, the amount of damage liquid gas sloshing forward into the piston (against the rings and subsequently into the oil) is doing is going to far outweigh any issues you'd have just needing a sync.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

+1 sounds like it's sticking if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
      X