X

06 Katana 600 engine swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 06 Katana 600 engine swap

hello i need some help my wifes 2006 katana 600 needs engine work done, she brought it from a friend for 2500 and we thought we were getting a decent deal with it only having 5000 miles but the gasket in the engine block that separtes the top part from the bottom part is leaking oil and needs to be replaced, so that will run us 1200. Im thinking about just swapping the engine with a 750. So is the a good idea and if so what year should i look for i have read that a 1992 gxsr 750 will work but will it be bolt on or will there have to be mods done.

please help she is driving me crazy because she cant ride

If you can manage an engine swap then a gasket change shouldn't cost you anywhere near 1200.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

If you're looking for something that just bolts right in and requires 0 mods, you need a 98-06 Katana 600 engine. Everything else requires you to actually do things.

Comment

The 1200 is the price the shop gave me, after talking with one of my buddies he told me we could maybe do the swap in a weekend or two. So im thinking that i may either get him to come do the gasket or just do the engine swap and pay him and learn something too. My wife is talking about getting another bike in the future but if i put the 750 in there she may keep it.

When you say it would require me to do things, things would be like what exchanging the wire harness. Do you know where to buy the harness at.
        Last edited by hunypot69; 06-22-2012, 03:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

have you also considered the cost of the new motor? might just be worth it to pick up an engine rebuild kit and replace the gaskets
          never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
          Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
          confused katana build

Comment

Are you planning to swap the carbs also right?

Comment

Is it the cylinder gasket 11241-27A04 that's leaking, or the head gasket 11141-19C03?

If it's the head gasket that's leaking, before you jump right up to pulling it and replacing it download the service manual and re-torque the head.

Are we talking "weeping" or "gushing" amounts of oil?
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I'm guessing he's talking about the cylinder base gasket. Since the head gasket doesn't separate the top from the bottom. But assuming things usually doesn't work so well. So we do need the OP to confirm.

Comment

It still might be possible to pull the head and retorque the base gasket too, although if it's just a weep I'd leave good enough alone and just wipe the oil up
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hunypot69 View Post
                    My wife is talking about getting another bike in the future...
                    Originally posted by steves View Post
                    It still might be possible to pull the head and retorque the base gasket too, although if it's just a weep I'd leave good enough alone and just wipe the oil up
                    Especially if she is already planning on another bike.
                    1992- project katfighter
                    2005- GSXR750
                    2001- TL1000R
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

gasket

hello
                      i think its the second one the 19c03, if i am reading the pic correctly its the one towards the bottom if you are looking at the right side of the bike thru that front side fairing hole where you shin is, you can see the little black line where the gasket is there so i think it is that one.

all i know is when i took it for a spin the oil was popping out and burning my shins

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      Is it the cylinder gasket 11241-27A04 that's leaking, or the head gasket 11141-19C03?

If it's the head gasket that's leaking, before you jump right up to pulling it and replacing it download the service manual and re-torque the head.

Are we talking "weeping" or "gushing" amounts of oil?
                      yes i do believe you are correct

thanks everyone for the help

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                      I'm guessing he's talking about the cylinder base gasket. Since the head gasket doesn't separate the top from the bottom. But assuming things usually doesn't work so well. So we do need the OP to confirm.
                      well its a little more than a weep....i am actually looking into buying a 2006 750 katana engine instead of the older gsxr engine that way she maybe satisfied with the more powerfull motor and keep the bike for a little while longer. Has anyone had any experience with that swap.
                      Last edited by hunypot69; 06-22-2012, 09:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If its really a head gasket, then $1200 is highway robbery to fix it.
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X