No announcement yet.
X

a three part question? or 3 questions!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a three part question? or 3 questions!

Hi guys, Im back with another question....or three,

I have a 99 kat 750, I noticed there were a few teeth broken off my sprocket, So I ordered a new one, 45t. I got it and it wont fit, The sprocket on there now is I believe jt828 45t, and it looks like the teeth come to a really narrow point?,
    I got my new jt 45t sprocket and it seems the teeth are to fat for the chain to fit? I dont get it!,

2nd question....I have no low beams,. I checked the fuse its good....I have high beams, Both lights work but when I switch to low they go off....Any idead where to start looking?

And finally my front break, when I squeez the handle the brake light will not go on..........I dont know why, I checked the wires and tried to follow them but I did not see anything broke, pinched, ect.....any idea on what it may be? The foot rear brake works the brake light, but not the front?

I'll give it a shot:

1) You may have had a 520 chain and sprocket. You purchased a 530 sprocket (which is the stock size) so the chain won't fit. Get a 530 front sprocket and chain. 520 isn't strong enough for a heavy Kat, IMO.

2) Look for a dirty or bad swich, connection or wire.

3) I had the same thing happen to me on my kat. There is a switch bolted to the bottom of the brake lever housing. Look for a loose wire or, as in my case, dirty switch. I cleaned it with spray contact cleaner, problem solved.

Good luck!
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Thanks, Ill check that out.....So as far as the chain and sprockets I should get a 530 chain,. and rear/front sprocket, Houw about the teeth 45? 47?

Comment

I was guessing that you currently have a 520 chain so that means your front sprocket is also a 520 pitch. When you bought a new rear sprocket, it was most likely a 530 pitch sprocket which is thicker than the 520, which would explain why the chain won't fit over the teeth of the rear sprocket. I don't know if your front and rear sprockets are stamped with the pitch, but they may be. Regardless, it's always best practice to replace the chain and sprockets as a set.

See if you can verify that your new rear sprocket is a 530 and then purchase a new 530 front sprocket and chain.

As far as the number of teeth on the sprocket(s), take a look at www.gearingcommander.com load in your model of motorcycle and then play with the number of teeth on the sprockets to see how it affects your speed in different gears and your top end speed...
        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

no need to look at gearing commander

stock sprockets/chain on your '99(98-2006 actually) 750 is 15 tooth front, 45 tooth rear, 530 pitch

a 98-06 600 would have a 15/47 tooth combo with a 530 pitch.

I myself have switched to a 15/47 combo on my 750, it gives it a better rideabilty RPM/power curve in the twisties, but bumps my speedo 5mph... meaning my speedo reads 5mph fast on average.

as per the electrical issues, check the H4 bulbs in your headlight to verify they have low beam filaments intact, and, as mentioned, clean your switches.

See My Garage for mods...
          T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
          Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Thanks Guys, I really appricate it.

Comment

I agree with the advice concerning your chain and sprockets. You've got a proper rear sprocket, you need to also replace the front sprocket and the chain.

As for the electrical issues, you need a test light. It's pretty basic equipment and a decent one will last you I don't know how long. I'm still using one I bought about 20 years ago.
              You're looking for something like this:

Here's the page at Autozone's site:

The test light is a pretty simple but incredibly useful troubleshooting tool. It has a sharp point that can be pushed through the wiring insulation (making a pin hole) or into a connector to check for power. If there's power the test light will come on. If not then the test light won't come on. If there's power but it's weak then the test light will be really dim.
              Using the test light, check for power to the low beam wire at the headlight. If there's power and the bulb doesn't light then it's the bulb. If there's no power then it's time to start working back towards the switch.

I can't remember off-hand if the brake switches work by supplying power to the bulb or by supplying ground to a constantly powered circuit. You'll have to check the wiring diagram in your manual. (found in the wiki if you don't already have a copy) If it's power then you can check the lever switch by checking to see if there's power on one wire going into the switch and then on both when you squeeze the lever. If it's ground then you check by clipping the test light to the positive side of the battery and then checking both wires at the switch.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                I agree with the advice concerning your chain and sprockets. You've got a proper rear sprocket, you need to also replace the front sprocket and the chain.
                +1
                Always replace front and rear sprocket and chain at once.
                Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

45t to 39t?

Hey guys, quick question.....
                  The set up on my bike when I got it was a rear sprocket, 45t 520...Not sure about the chain and fron sprocket.

My question is would a 520 39t rear sprocket fit with my current chain and front sprocket, I know Im not giving alot of info, but any help would be great! thanks

Comment

39 tooth? Do you want to have any power left at all? I'd try a 42-43 tooth first.

Comment

Ok, Thats what I was wondering.........Thanks!

Comment

BARS shaking at speed??

So I just had my bike out....99 katana 750. and I was doing about 50-55mph and I took my hand off the bars and when I did, I noticed the bars shaking almost violently.....Now the odd part is, I do not feel this when Im holding on. I dont feel any vibration in my hands or arms, but when I take my hands off they go a little nutty, I checked at low speeds 20-30mph and it does the same thing not as bad. Its still there though.., What should I check? it has a new tire on the front and rear, professinaly mounted and balanced. thanks

Comment

Steering head bearings and tire balance. Possible wheel bearings also.

Comment

Shaking like that across a wide range of speeds likely isn't the wheel balance. Usually when that's off you'll have a specific speed range where you get a resonate frequency building. It's much more likely to be wheel bearings, loose or bad steering bearings or a cupped tire.

With the front wheel off the ground, try shaking the forks forward and back. If there's movement (You'll feel a bit of a clicking each time you change direction) then the steering bearings are loose. Now, holding the forks at the bottom, try turning the wheel left and right quickly. If you feel any clicking from the wheel then the wheel bearings are bad. Turn the bars all the way to one side and back again. If you feel them catch anywhere along the travel then the steering bearings are bad. If it's none of those things then it's either the tire (possibly just under-inflated) or you need to find smoother pavement.
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Front Brake Lever.

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the help....I ordered a New 530 Rear sprocket and chain, As well as a front sprocket! I appricate everyone clearing that up for me...

I have another issue, My front brake lever......It no longer make the "click" noise when I engage it. Nor does my rear brake light come on.....It stops/functions how it should...Just no Light, and No click? Is this common? Is it dangerous? Or an easy fix? or plenty of troubleshooting involved!?

Thanks In advance!

Comment

Working...
                              X