X

how to rebuild the petcock

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to rebuild the petcock

After acquiring the proper tools, my buddy and i were finally able to unscrew the stripped drain plug and change the oil. However, my bike refused to start after changing the oil. Initially, we thought that we may have overfilled the engine oil. However, it is well below the full line.

We were able to zero in on the petcock by running an auxiliary tank directly to the fuel line. After bypassing the petcock, the bike started up like a charm.

So here are my questions. It looks like i need to rebuild my petcock. Is it absolutely necessary? Could i just clean it? Also, would a pre petcock rebuild kit work on an '05?

Yes a pre kit will work. Krey actually has a step by step out here somewhere on rebuilding the petcock
    Ride like it's your last ride
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lazyazn View Post
      After acquiring the proper tools, my buddy and i were finally able to unscrew the stripped drain plug and change the oil. However, my bike refused to start after changing the oil. Initially, we thought that we may have overfilled the engine oil. However, it is well below the full line.

We were able to zero in on the petcock by running an auxiliary tank directly to the fuel line. After bypassing the petcock, the bike started up like a charm.

So here are my questions. It looks like i need to rebuild my petcock. Is it absolutely necessary? Could i just clean it? Also, would a pre petcock rebuild kit work on an '05?
      You likely need to rebuild it. Don't worry it couldn't be easier. You cant just clean it because all your orings and stuff are probably bad as well. Heres the link
      A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
      mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Comment

Before you go that far, did you test the petcock to make sure it's the problem?

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Before you go that far, did you test the petcock to make sure it's the problem?
          any way to test it? We bypassed the petcock and my bike started right up. when we put the fuel tank by on, the bike stopped starting up. Would this be enough evidence for it to be the petcock?

Comment

Originally posted by lazyazn View Post
            any way to test it? We bypassed the petcock and my bike started right up. when we put the fuel tank by on, the bike stopped starting up. Would this be enough evidence for it to be the petcock?

Actually, no...

Petcock is vacuum operated. Vacuum must be applied to the rear of the petcock for fuel to flow in the on or reserve positions. Prime is a manual bypass to this vacuum requirement.

To test it do the following...

Set the fuel tank on a flat surface but elevated. Connect a fuel line on the fuel outlet(s) and have them drain into a clear container (glass jar for example).

Use a vacuum line on the back of the petcock. Set the petcock to the on position.

Apply suction and hold. Fuel should flow. Fold a hard kink in the vacuum line. This should keep the suction for at least a few moments and fuel should still keep flowing.

Do this again on the Res position.

No vacuum is needed on the prime position, but do make sure it flows fuel correctly when turned to it.

Make sure you have fuel in the tank enough to reach the on level (over half the tank in fuel).

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

the petcock is vacuum operated, you test it by either applying vacuum to the vacuum line that goes to carb 4(far right), either from the engine, or actually sucking on it like a straw. If the diaphragm is good, the gas should flow.

also, petcock settings are "arrow " forward is reserve, down is RUN and rear is PRIME.

prime bypasses the vacuum operation to fill the carbs.... dont leave it on prime all the time.

so, check the vacuum line first, and replace as necessary, apply vacuum second... thats the test for a bad vacuum diaphragm.

if the internal screen or petcock itself is clogged with filth and rust, you'll need to fix that before anything else..

See My Garage for mods...
              T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
              Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

So what dose this tell you? Not to jack the thread but on reservor fuel flow's out like it dose on prime, and run works with vacumm but shuts off with out it.

Comment

Originally posted by 95GSX600noob View Post
                  So what dose this tell you? Not to jack the thread but on reservor fuel flow's out like it dose on prime, and run works with vacumm but shuts off with out it.

It tells me that your petcock is broken, improperly assembled, or needs rebuilt.

Prime is the only manual setting for fuel to flow with out vacuum.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                  X