• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobKat2002
    Originally posted by skasner
    Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic
    Originally posted by TheKlic
    I'm thinking about going up one tooth on the front sprocket, that would put me pretty close to accurate right?

I'm doing this because I want to be at lower RPMs on longer freeway trips, and all out mad accel isn't what's important to me
    Logically, that would have the opposite impact to your bike as would decreasing the front sprocket tooth count. You speedometer will be roughly accurate but your odometer will be over-reporting your mileage.
    Hrmm... i partially disagree. I would think that going up one tooth in the front should make you odometer UNDER-report mileage.

Ahhh...
    Because the rotation of the front sprocket is increased while travelling at a slower actual speed,
    the odometer reading would display more miles accumulated than actually travelled.

Likewise the indicated MPH is higher than actual as well.
    ok...you guys are getting confusing here. isn't it as simple as this?

smaller sprocket turns faster = speedo stating going faster than you really are + mileage adding up faster.

learger sprocket turns slower = you going faster than speedo is registering + lower mileage adding up.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
      and why do you say loc-tite is a must? dont you have a washer behind it with a tab that you flip over against the nut so it holds it in place? you should have.
      Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for you other than the Loctite was recommended by a Suzuki mechanic. I didn't question the recommendation at the time. I can ask him the next time I see him.
      "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

I'm thinking about going up one tooth on the front sprocket, that would put me pretty close to accurate right?

I'm doing this because I want to be at lower RPMs on longer freeway trips, and all out mad accel isn't what's important to me
        Logically, that would have the opposite impact to your bike as would decreasing the front sprocket tooth count. You speedometer will be roughly accurate but your odometer will be over-reporting your mileage.
        Hrmm... i partially disagree. I would think that going up one tooth in the front should make you odometer UNDER-report mileage.

Ahhh...
        Because the rotation of the front sprocket is increased while travelling at a slower actual speed,
        the odometer reading would display more miles accumulated than actually travelled.

smaller sprocket turns faster = speedo stating going faster than you really are + mileage adding up faster.

learger sprocket turns slower = you going faster than speedo is registering + lower mileage adding up.

that's it...isn't it?

Comment

and why do you say loc-tite is a must? dont you have a washer behind it with a tab that you flip over against the nut so it holds it in place? you should have.
          Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for you other than the Loctite was recommended by a Suzuki mechanic. I didn't question the recommendation at the time. I can ask him the next time I see him.

ahh...ok. i am not a big fan of loc-tite myself unless it is for something I am not likely to remove in the near future.
          But yes, there is a washer designed for this. it is the one here in the pic. mine is different in the sense that it folds against the nut to hold it in place. very practical, imho.

[img][/img]

Comment

Ahhh...

that's it...isn't it?
            You are both correct. A larger sprocket would cause odometer under-reporting while a smaller sprocket would cause over-reporting. Pardon the confusion.
            "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

That's what I said

"Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

I just did my sprocket change except I went +3 in the back. I agree w/ mojoe, and excellent mod. After reading the tons of threads, I was a little hesitant at first of going ballz on the throttle cause I thought it'd jump up and stuff but really it doesn't, but you gain much in terms of accelleration and you can feel it wanna pick up, but no worries. Also I was pretty worried about the highway rev range, but really not bad for me at all, perhaps its the earplugs Definitely worth it.

On a side note, my speedocalculation on going from a 15/45 stock setup to a 15/48 was to calibrate the speedohealer -12.1% perhaps the difference is w/ front vs rear sprocket change? My speedo now reads right on to my checks! Also below is the thread I posted w/ pics of the install of the speedohealer!

Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

Comment

To arrive at -12.1% correction, you used the default +5.5% for factory speedo error. I thought you said in another post that you calculated it to be +8.3%? So, if you plug in +8.3% for factory speedo error and the +6.7% error for your 15/45 to 15/48 sprocket change, your correction value should be more around -14.4%. Why did you decide to correct only for the sprocket change and leave the stock speedo error in there?
                  Trust me, I'm a doctor!

Comment

Originally posted by blackkat98
                    To arrive at -12.1% correction, you used the default +5.5% for factory speedo error. I thought you said in another post that you calculated it to be +8.3%? So, if you plug in +8.3% for factory speedo error and the +6.7% error for your 15/45 to 15/48 sprocket change, your correction value should be more around -14.4%. Why did you decide to correct only for the sprocket change and leave the stock speedo error in there?
                    Think you got mine mixed up w/ someone elses. I changed my back sprocket and kept the factory speedo error. Using the online calculator it was -12.1, I just used the setting they put out, and it seems right on!
                    Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

Comment

I'm confused (which is normal) I have a 14 tooth on the front so how bad is my speedo going to be out 100kph I figured around 6kph. I think.???
                      Gripp & Regripp

Comment

yea, i've lived with the speedo being off BEFORE the sprocket change, so i think i'll just adjust for the sprocket change only. That way, the odometer will still be at the same setting as stock.
                        Trust me, I'm a doctor!

Comment

Originally posted by Gripp
                          I'm confused (which is normal) I have a 14 tooth on the front so how bad is my speedo going to be out 100kph I figured around 6kph. I think.???
                          Standard is 15 teeth for the front sprocket. Your speedometer will be off by about 15kph at 100kph because of the built in over-reporting and the +7.14% induced by the smaller sprocket.

Comment

Originally posted by blackkat98
                            Actually, this is someone else. We both have similar bikes except Seypea has the nicer rims.

Comment

wow, sorry for the partial hijack kat-a-tonic
                              lol
                              Live and Lean.
                              When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
                              "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
                              Romans 3:23

Comment

wow, sorry for the partial hijack kat-a-tonic
                                lol
                                Actually, it's a good thing. I'm wondering if I should post something on the Speedohealer I've installed?

Comment

Working...
                                X