No announcement yet.
X

night riding tip

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look, if you guys keep spreading this info around I'm not gonna have any explanation for the wife when I buy another new helmet . Keep it down, will ya .
    ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
      Flip, Bob is correct the enzymes are acidic and will reduce the life of your shield and the helmets finish. Plus think about the bugs body. it is an exoskeleton. It is not to say that wiping a away a bug will leave a big gouge in your visor, but over time the tiny scratches will cause a haze.
      Wow, then. Hmmm, er, well, no way am i going to soak my visor for chrissakes after a buggy ride. Sheesh, for as long as it would take to completely haze (or melt, lol) my visor to where i would notice i would just get another visor for 20 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip
        Wow, then. Hmmm, er, well, no way am i going to soak my visor for chrissakes after a buggy ride. Sheesh, for as long as it would take to completely haze (or melt, lol) my visor to where i would notice i would just get another visor for 20 bucks.
        Seriously, where do you get your visors? The visor for my Shoei is $35 for a clear one plus shipping because no one around here carries them.

When I clean my visor I run warm water over it in the sink to get the big stuff off. Then I use dish washing liquid to get everything else off. I make sure that I use a lot of soap so I do not grind in dirt. I rise everything clean the dry by patting with a soft towel. As for the rest of the helmet I will let a wet cloth sit on it if it is really buggy. After a few minutes everything is soft enough to wipe clean.

Comment

Windex and paper towels, baby!

The last time i bought a visor was at the Coleman Power Sports dealer in Falls Church. They had my type hanging around and i remember it being cheap. Maybe it was 30, but for some reason i remember 20...

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
            Originally posted by Flip
            Seriously, where do you get your visors? The visor for my Shoei is $35 for a clear one plus shipping because no one around here carries them.

When I clean my visor I run warm water over it in the sink to get the big stuff off. Then I use dish washing liquid to get everything else off. I make sure that I use a lot of soap so I do not grind in dirt. I rise everything clean the dry by patting with a soft towel. As for the rest of the helmet I will let a wet cloth sit on it if it is really buggy. After a few minutes everything is soft enough to wipe clean.
            +1 Tzortn

Here in Canukda the visor for my Helmet runs close to $100 with taxes.
            As well there an abundance of insects around here. I could buy a new visor every season, easy.

Oh and don't forget....
            ...wipe front to back, the other way is just nasty!
            "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

you guys must have the 1inch thick kind. $100 bucks! That would be enough for me to stop riding!

Comment

I buy mine at HelmetShop.com because they have the lowest price on the Titanium visors I prefer for my day-time helmet.

If you live in a bug-infested area, consider getting some racing tear-offs. These are clear multi-layered plastic film packs that sit on your visor; when the visor is bug-filled, you simply reach up and tear off the top layer of the film to expose a fresh one.

As for bug guts and remains: I soak a paper towel in water and lay it on the shield and helmet and let it soak, time permitting. Let sit five to sixty minutes, wipe away and clean anything left afterwards.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i am seen tearoffs used for mx and quads never on abike thogh how do they attach?

Comment

I wash mine witha soapy paper towel and polish it once in a while with brasso.

There are plenty of plastic polishes out there thatw ill work equally well for about 5 bucks a bottle.

Carl-
                    "Ignoring the facts does not mean that they cease to exist"

-Aldous Huxley

Comment

Baby wipes. I found a brand that didn't streak once (can't remember the name), but followed by a soft cloth, any of them work. Or, just ride in the rain.

Comment

Yeah especially when its hot and humid out every bug with a death wish and a means seems to find my face shield on my helmet; not to mention the windshield on my bike.

Riding back on Rt28 at the rally last year about 10pm or so there were so many bugs you couldnt even see with your visor up but it was so hot out you almost couldnt ride with it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow2002Kat
                          Always keep a couple of baby wipes in my jacket pocket when riding at night. Great for cleaning off the face shield on the go. Just make sure the wipes aren't super wet when you put them in your pocket...
                          ... or USED! Yuck! :P
                          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Rain-X after cleaning the shield helps keep the bugs from sticking as well and provides a clearer view when stuck in the rain. I have no idea as to the effects on the shield and don't really care. They're cheap enough to replace that I don't need to keep one for 70 years.

Comment

I am with Cyber on this one. I wet some paper towels, and let them soak for a bit, then wipe off, then dry off with another paper towel. Of course, I never do this when I get home, I do it before a ride as I get ready.
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Paper towels sure are inexpensive and convenient but I can tell you for a fact that they're literally made from garbage. The recycled content in paper towels is full of grit that will scratch any plastic surface. They work in a pinch and I'll bet they're fine for face shields (especially if you don't mind the haze and/or replacing shields) but being a long time eyeglass wearer, I'm in the habit of relying on clean cotton or a product made especally for lens cleaning.

Comment

Working...
                                X